Help For Father In Us

alexd

Hello All-

I am trying to arrange help for my father who has Alzheimer's back in the US. I want to send a helper from Thailand to live with my Mom and him. I see plenty of opportunities for Au Pairs, but nothing for caregivers for the elderly and sick. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this, agencies to contact, visa advice, etc, etc?

Many Thanks....

AlexD

I fell for you on this. I have personal gone threw this in the US years back. My advise is do not send someone from Thailand. They are weak on this subject and the visa/work permit/paperwork would be over whelming on this side. There are reputable caregivers and agencies in the US. Research your area and go threw them. My sister has her own business, registered and licensed for in house, she has been doing this for 20 years. Wish you well.

gotlost might be correct about Thai caregivers.  I don't know.  But Filipinos are trained in this sort of care.  I am not sure about the work permit issues and such, but at least the training and pool of personnel are there.

gotlost might be correct about Thai caregivers. I don't know. But Filipinos are trained in this sort of care. I am not sure about the work permit issues and such, but at least the training and pool of personnel are there.

You are correct on the Filipinos on this subject. There are thousands of them in the medical/nursing/caregiver field in the US.

are you looking to pay them a thai salary in the usa? i doubt that will last long before they move on.

You beat me to it.

Sorry about OP's father.

But why would OP consider sending someone from the other side of the world for this?

Surely there must be plenty of people there who can do it?

are you looking to pay them a thai salary in the usa? i doubt that will last long before they move on.

You beat me to it.

Sorry about OP's father.

But why would OP consider sending someone from the other side of the world for this?

Surely there must be plenty of people there who can do it?

For a live-in caregiver, if expense is an issue, then getting one from the Philippines will be much, much cheaper, and the care will be generally good.  I know this happens quite a bit, I just don't know all the legal hoops though which need to be jumped.

I tried to get the same sort of thing done for a relative back in the States, unfortunately, there really isn't a US Visa category for caregivers. The business visas are all set up for big businesses, not for individuals who need assistance.

The best bet is to find someone who is already in the US - someone who is Filipina or Hispanic will probably have better English skills than most Thais anyways.