Safe Electric Plug Extension Cable

james24

I bought one from Carrefour recently and it had all the correcr tags, tested safety certification etc. It also has surge protection, but I have to say the device doesnt really work, you have to move/fiddle with the plugs a bit to get them working and most of all a blue spark pops everytime you plug something in to one of its plug sections (it has 3, only 2 work.)

Can anyone recommend a brand and/or where from I can buy a decent one. I have to say this isnt the first extension cable thats been faulty out here, the other one use to sends shocks out of it.

Edited by james24

Amorn has very high-quality extension cords like you might find in Europe or the USA - the thick orange ones like they sell at Home Depot, etc. for power tools and so forth (but 2 conductor) - about 7 meters for 99 Baht. Really a good bargain. For "power strips" it takes a little more looking around for high-quality ones here. I got mine in Bangkok at a cost of about 900 Baht each but they are the quality I might expect to find in Europe or the USA.

Amourn also do power stips that are as good as you'll get in the west but you need to pay 1000thb plus, I have bought lots of the cheaper brands and they just blow with the microwave or the griddle. I bought one of the more expensive ones a few month ago and have no problems since.

Give Homepro or Global House a go.

Leonics available at IT malls. Got mine at airport plaza IT area. Extension, surge protection and UPS.

User replaceable batteries when the battery runs out. Reasonable price, below 2k if I remember correctly, but probably cheaper now.

I've found them to be safe, sturdy and reliable and I'm pretty sure I also saw Leonics brand extensions with surge protection, but without the UPS which might be what you're looking for. They also had Bilken (sp?) brand, but more expensive as it's imported.

The biggest problem I find is plugs which have the round prongs - they still seem loose once you've plugged them into and extension. If you're having this problem, buy the adapters with the flat prongs (the best ones are sold in 7-11 for about 25 Baht) - they provide a much tighter connection.

Edited by Scrubber

Amourn also do power stips that are as good as you'll get in the west but you need to pay 1000thb plus, I have bought lots of the cheaper brands and they just blow with the microwave or the griddle. I bought one of the more expensive ones a few month ago and have no problems since.

Agreed. The microwave will actually melt the plastic on the cheaper ones or the fuse will become welded to the fuse holder. Mine were actually about 1300 each in BKK but I bought a few of them and the guy discounted them for me.

ahh ok Ill have a look in Home pro today as going upto Carrefour.

Belkin might be an idea aswell as Im quite familiar with their products.

Cheers guys

I'll have to disagree with gotlost on this one. Even the power strips for 700+ Baht at Home Pro are junk. I returned 2 of them that were faulty. I like Home Pro and shop there all the time but their power strips are junk.

Less chance of disappointment at Amorn. There is a small one right by Carrefour you can check out.

ahh ok Ill have a look in Home pro today as going upto Carrefour.

Belkin might be an idea aswell as Im quite familiar with their products.

Cheers guys

I'll have to disagree with gotlost on this one. Even the power strips for 700+ Baht at Home Pro are junk. I returned 2 of them that were faulty. I like Home Pro and shop there all the time but their power strips are junk.

Less chance of disappointment at Amorn. There is a small one right by Carrefour you can check out.

The OP never asked about Power Strips he asked about extension cords. Power strips that I have found all over Chiang Mai are junk and you can get descent 3 conductor extension cords in Home Pro and Global House. Never Never Never use a two conductor cord, unless you want to see someones eyes light up.