512/256?

edh

Can someone in an easy way please explain what 512/256 stands for. All I know it has something to do with upload/download speed.

And where do you check what your actual speed is?

Is it in the taskmanager/performance - PF usage??

Sorry guys but I am new with connections speeds etc. :o

Thankful for any info received.

edh

Can someone in an easy way please explain what 512/256 stands for. All I know it has something to do with upload/download speed.

edh

Try this link:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

you can here get a "pit-stop" inspection of your PC, which includes your download/upload speeds etc.

edh

512 is ur download speed which is the speed of the time it wud take u to download something or open webpages while 256 is ur uploading speed which is the speed of the file u give from ur pc to another pc. You can check ur speed by installing a program called BW meter or by connecting ur internet. :D

edh

quick reply:

512/256 means Download at 512 kbps and Upload at 256 kbps. bps means bits per second and k stands for Kilo, (x1000). So in simple numbers you can send 512000 bits per second and receive 256000. So if you want to know what it represent in bytes (normal for file size) you must divide by 8. For E.g. 512kbps/8 = 64000 bytes per second. If you want to know in kilobytes (kB) then notice that 1kB it's not same as 1000B but 1024B. So, 64000B/1024 = 62,5kBps (kilo bytes per second). This is in theory but internet (or TCP/IP) have overhead which will make this rate decrease, then it all depends on the 'thru-put' between you and the site you connect/contact. With cache and others ISP tools this rate can often go a little higher.

If you have a USB modem then the driver should inform you of the speed somewhere near the clock (taskbar).

b = bit

B = Byte

k = Kilo (10^3)

In task manager it shows the Ethernet performance.

ADSL is for consumer oriented so download is usually higher/bigger than upload.

good luck.

edh

follow this link to give a rough idea of your actual speed http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp , run the test a few times, as the connection is not the best at times and take an average. a friend of mine has TOT ADSL and should be receiving 512 KB download speed, sometimes it drops to below 20 KBPS.

:D

Edited by Lobin

This has been done before. But this is what i got. You work it out!

File Size: NaN KB

Time Elapsed: NaN seconds

(NaN KBps)

View a Glossary of Terms

Check back often to test your speed.

Add this page to your list of Favorites. (Internet Explorer users only)

Speedometer

512kbits/sec download, 256kbits/sec download. This should be the speed set by your account profile (which is used when you login to use the net). Your modem will report the line speed between your modem and the DSLAM at the CO, which may be 512k or 2.5mbits or some other number.

To see if you're actually getting the speed locally (as in, your account profile has been setup properly), you should go to

http://wow.trueinternet.co.th/speedtest.php

This tests your local (within Thailand) speed, and you should be getting around 400-600. If you're getting something like 200 or 100, then that means someone made a mistake and set your profile to 256k or 128k (that happened to me).

Your international speed may vary according to the traffic and the package you bought. You can test it at the sites mentioned above.

Incidentally, it seems that True actually "guarantees" 60% effective international speed, and that you can call to complain if you don't get that much. Somehow I find this highly unlikely, since I've seen people with 10% effective speed complain and have nothing fixed.