Update On Tourist Visa In Laos

Hi,

i have just come back from Laos (Vientiane) on the 11th August 2010 and i had no problems getting a Double Entry Tourist Visa.I have had 8 previous Tourist Visas from Malaysia but this was the 1st time from Laos.

Just got back to Chiang Mai today. Double entry tourist visa was free. I have about 3 years of tourist visas from Laos (although the initial triple entry was from London). Everybody I talked to was happy.

Weird thing was the lack of foreigners. On the first day I arrived before 8 a.m. and the queue outside never grew beyond 10 people and inside I never saw more than 20-30 people. On all my previous trips there has been 100 plus people, maybe 2-300

Picking it up the next day I arrived at 1:30 and there was literally NO-ONE there apart from one guy I'd agreed the previous day to meet and share a taxi to the bridge with who was waiting for me and talking to another person, and they'd been chatting for half an hour. I stayed in the hall chatting with them until 3 p.m. and maybe 6-7 people came in to pick up passports in that time and all of them were Asian.

As I said I have been many times and never seen it like this. I was paranoid the first day wondering whether it was all over Thaivisa.com that Laos wasn't issuing visas anymore and that's why no-one was there, but I'd missed it!

Still there are many people applying for a visa in Vientiane, on Monday there were about 155 and Tuesday 140, however comparing to the past the numbers seems to have been dropped dramatically from 250-300 per day. The processing of the visa also become much faster, therefore you do not see many people around.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they require anything more these days, I did check their website and it says "Travel document valid for departing from Thailand no later than 15 days from the arrival date and Cash or traveler's check equivalent to 10,000 baht per person or 20,000 baht per family"

Was there 6 months ago and all I handed in was the application, copies of passport and photos, and that was a 2 entry tourist visa. But the visa was not free then.