Central World

trashy

... as a foreigner living in Isaan - Central World Khon Kaen is a blessing for the following reasons:

1)International food selection 4th floor plus mediocre food court with average level prices.

2)English newspaper : Bangkok Post & The Nation.

3)Movies : regular & 3D !! ( on 5th level)

4)Supermarket in the basement (most International food, fruit, bakery products, takeouts, etc.. )

5)Parking : it's a heaven !! ( 4 levels that I can see - Sat. & Sun. might be crowded )

6)Accessible direct from Highway ( from Korat/Chumpae/Udon Thani and via Ring-road from Kalasin )

by public songthaew from Bus Station : no.3 Yellow stop in front WITHOUT having to cross the road

no.2 Yellow stop on the side/ drop-off and you must cross a busy road, not convenient !

HOWEVER when returning from Central to Bus Station you MUST take no.2 Yellow because their p/up

stop is the MOST convenient especially when you're loaded with shopping bags . Cost baht 9.- p/p

but be generous and give the driver baht 10.- you won't be poorer for it and the driver will be

happy !! ps: Internet ( True Coffee) is available but no printer. Enjoy !!

Like the parking, the whole mall is a bit empty at times, which is nice for me - not so for the stores wanting a profit. Typically some of the store staff are disinterested in dealing with a farang. The food zone in Tops (basement) can be a good place to meet others in the area. But if you are living here full time you probably shop in Makro, Big C, tesco or the local market.

Highlights: The DTAC office, some of the restaurants (never tried the food court).

The wife prefers Makro, which incidentally has started selling 'Fat Boy' cumberland (frozen) sausages again. More seriously I think Central World is good for Khon Kaen, but mainly for things that you can't get elsewhere. For run of the mill items it generally doesn't compete well on price with the competition. Did get a good deal on a fishing rod though.

Edited by citizen33

We find the new Central Plaza to be great. We live in Roi Et but I have to travel a lot, so many trips to Khon Kaen Airport and every trip in and out we allow time to stop off to do quality food shopping in Tops. It is so much more convenient than bringing cool boxes up on the plane from Bangkok, long may it last.