New Flight Search Engine

rijb

Its just rubbish. One route I checked Saigon to Siem Reap, it gave 3 flights with Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok layovers total flight time 9 hours, when there is a daily direct flight of 1 hour on Vietnam Airlines. $594 as against $190. CRAP.

Edited by knocka

I did a search for airfare from MCO to BKK depart march 1st return March 30th , at Hipomonk and the list expensive airfare was $ 1685 total .I dds the same sear h at Travelosity and the list expensive airfare was $ 1248 total.

Expecting one CRS to dip in to multiple GDSs (Amadeus, Sabre, Galileo, et al) and come up with every permutation and fare bucket is unreasonable. Airlines use specific GDSes, and some CRSes cannot see every fare bucket on one or more GDS.

The QPX engine at ITASoftware (recently acquired by Google) has been one of the best, but you really need to become familiar with the airlines which serve your desired city-pairs, and then research their distribution channels.

Most CRSes will skew consumers towards one or more favored suppliers, in case that wasn't obvious.

For USA-BKK-USA flights you should be using a consolidator who has access to the lower-priced fare-buckets, although that $1,248 price (is it all in?) seems pretty good for MCO-BKK-MCO. I just purchased BOS-BKK-BOS for Feb/Mar 2011 on UA for $1,181 (all in, upgradeable W fare with certificates).

Expecting one CRS to dip in to multiple GDSs (Amadeus, Sabre, Galileo, et al) and come up with every permutation and fare bucket is unreasonable. Airlines use specific GDSes, and some CRSes cannot see every fare bucket on one or more GDS.

The QPX engine at ITASoftware (recently acquired by Google) has been one of the best, but you really need to become familiar with the airlines which serve your desired city-pairs, and then research their distribution channels.

Most CRSes will skew consumers towards one or more favored suppliers, in case that wasn't obvious.

For USA-BKK-USA flights you should be using a consolidator who has access to the lower-priced fare-buckets, although that $1,248 price (is it all in?) seems pretty good for MCO-BKK-MCO. I just purchased BOS-BKK-BOS for Feb/Mar 2011 on UA for $1,181 (all in, upgradeable W fare with certificates).

You are right, Multiple sight search is the way to go. I use travelzoo.com, it allows me to search all the major travel websites from one place.In the past I used consolidators, but i dont think their model of doing business is valid any more, since the airlines started to run less flights, filled to capacity, I dont think they have unused seats to wholesale. In the past I Used http://www.airlineconsolidator.com/ and I always got good deals with them, but now when ever I search their website or call them their prices are the same or higher than the mainstream airfare search engines.

Many of the so called " consolidators" advertise low prices with an asterisk, ie round trip to BKK for $680*, if you call you will find that the asterisk, is fees and tax, probably an additional $680 or more.

If you know of a reputable Consolidator please let me know.

PS I use to get good deals with Malaysia air from BKK to NY(last September $840 rt total) , but they dont fly to NY anymoresad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

all search engines are a rip off and innacurate ! book direct with airlines .

That's not quite true. I've booked many, many flights with search engines...and many, many with airlines direct. I've flown well over 1MM actual air miles.

If you get into troubles, best to have booked with the airlines direct...but at times, you can end up paying quite a bit more than what you will via a search engine...

The Hipmunk site looks nice but in reality is crap. Looking at Emirates evening flight from Manchester (UK)/Dubai/Bangkok they quote for October flight US912.00 which is at least US200.00 more expensive than most consolidators here in UK. Also they show Emirates operating B767-300ER aircraft - total crap - Emirates have never operated this aircraft!

How about B777-300ER or A380 for the afternoon flight !