Registration Of A Big Motorbike

NorIsaan

I'm about to buy a 1200 cc motorbike. It was imported as parts to the country.

There are receips for tax paid when it was imported. And another one from the purchase at the dealer (TP Motorcycles).

And of course I will get one, if I buy it, from the owner now. It ain't got the Green Book.

So, my questions are:

- Is it possible to get the Green Book to this bike?

- If, how do I do it?

Edited by NorIsaan

You need to be Very Carefull here. It used to be possible for 60,000 to 80,000 Baht to get a green book, but since it is illegal, they have realy craked down on this of late.

Cheers and good luck,

David

Chiang Khong

Edited by bazmlb

Also TP have a reputation. Unfortunately it isn't a good one. Some people have waited over 6 months for a plate and book. some have never got a plate. Look elsewhere get a bike with a green book. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! And David, the forum at www.gt-raider.com was very infomative!

About the bike again, it also have a plate with a red stripe over. I have seen other bikes without. What is the difference?

The owner told me that he had it insuranced up to1,5 year ago. Is this possible, since the lack of the book?

The reasons he want to sell, he told me, is his age (69), his wife don't appreciate riding mc and he is a kind of short-buildt, comparied to the bike.

It's a VMax.

If I buy it, the best to do is to bring the owner and bike to Land Transport Office at the city it's registered. (Udon) And do the paperworks there, I presume.

But Is it necessary to change region after the purchase, as I live in Buriram?

About the bike again, it also have a plate with a red stripe over. I have seen other bikes without. What is the difference?

The owner told me that he had it insuranced up to1,5 year ago. Is this possible, since the lack of the book?

The reasons he want to sell, he told me, is his age (69), his wife don't appreciate riding mc and he is a kind of short-buildt, comparied to the bike.

It's a VMax.

If I buy it, the best to do is to bring the owner and bike to Land Transport Office at the city it's registered. (Udon) And do the paperworks there, I presume.

Why not speek to rocky in buriram, he has a 1300cc yamaha for sale, i think 350,000, (he might take less as he wants to go back to aus) very clean bike...he has the falang coffee shop just up from the turn in to the bus station road as you head out to big c, http://www.buriramexpats.com/bars-and-restaurants/

It`s called the "Coffee Connection Restaurant"

Address: 332/6 Jira Rd, Tambong Nai Mueang Buriram.

Tel: 083-3692069

But maybe you know all this if you are in buriram...cheers

It's a VMax.

In your 1st post you said it did not have a green book. Now you state it has a number plate and it was insured 1.5 years ago.

Then you stated land transport office in Udon where its registered,

WHAT exactly are you asking us?

Also it sounds like it hasn't been ridden for a few years, umm lots of work there then.

It's a VMax.

It is possible to insure a bike without a Greenbook but I'm not sure that I woulf want to with all the 'get outs' that may offer the insurance company in the event of a claim.

But then you go on to say that it's registered in Udon. Did it used to have a Greenbook which has now been lost? If that's the case then if the original book was in anyway dodgy you are opening up a whole can of worms buying this bike.

It's a VMax.

In your 1st post you said it did not have a green book. Now you state it has a number plate and it was insured 1.5 years ago.

Then you stated land transport office in Udon where its registered,

WHAT exactly are you asking us?

Also it sounds like it hasn't been ridden for a few years, umm lots of work there then.

If it has the old style plate with red in center, the plate is older than 8 years, so bike is either registered on it or its fake or its from another bike

It's a VMax.

You do realize that part of getting the plate will be having the bike in bangkok to do emissions testing ?? Which as a non FI bike will be very hard..

Really if you dont know the size of the undertaking your attempting.. I would say walk..

I brought my bike from TP, had a few little problems, but talked to owner and everything was taken care of.  It took me about 3 months to get a book and plate,  so they did alright, happy with the bike....

Wildoates. When did ya buy it?

The bike has never had the green book. About the LTO, I was meaning that as it have a plate, it was probably registrated there. According to the owner it was. How, I don't know. He also told me, that we have to go there to change the ownership.

But maybe the plate is just a fake....

I know there have been, and are, many "grey" bikes at the market. So this is sure one of them.

In my search for a big motorbike, there have been mentioned "city tax". About 12k THB. What exactly is that?

Is this common for every bike, every city?

Cheers

I brought my bike from TP, had a few little problems, but talked to owner and everything was taken care of. It took me about 3 months to get a book and plate, so they did alright, happy with the bike....

TP claim they can do recycled (illegal) books in 3 months at 35k baht and "legal" books at 80k baht. Funny thing is they dont need the bike to do legal book:rolleyes:

hmmm, this is a bit confusing what you wrote here...one thing is for sure , if the bike has no green book it is unlikely be legal ( meaning 100% legal ) ...with the "city" tax maybe it is the excise tax???

Probably some others come with more knowledge but i really never heard of a "city tax".

Personally, i wouldn't pay 12000 thb for something that is not explained to me properly

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

hmmm, this is a bit confusing what you wrote here...one thing is for sure , if the bike has no green book it is unlikely be legal ( meaning 100% legal ) ...with the "city" tax maybe it is the excise tax???

Probably some others come with more knowledge but i really never heard of a "city tax".

Personally, i wouldn't pay 12000 thb for something that is not explained to me properly

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

hmmm, I would start with entering the reg plate number in an Insurance company computer to see what bike comes up. Age, cc, cylinders etc. If it fits this bike, apply for new reg book, few hundred baht. Excise tax info is supposed to be found on page 18.

On page 16 you can find how much the annual road tax is, 100 baht less than 1000cc, slightly more over 1000cc as I recall.

There are no more taxes for motorcycles in LOS

The bike has never  had the green book. If the bike is registered ie has a number plate then it has a green book

About the LTO, I was meaning that as it have a plate, it was probably registrated there. Then it has a green book 

According to the owner it was. How, I don't know. He also  told me, that we have to go there to change the ownership. Then it has a green book

But maybe the plate is just a fake.... Possibly. if so walk away

I know there have been, and are, many "grey" bikes at the market. So this is sure one of them. Grey bikes still have plates and green books, you need to check the book carefully that the numbers and info match.

In my search for a big motorbike, there have been mentioned "city tax". About 12k THB. What exactly is that? Dont know. guessing the 3%customs tax if no plate/greenbook. 

Is this common for every bike, every city? No. only unplated dodgy bikes

Cheers

I altered your post because it was easier. hope you do not mind.

Mate honestly you have been posting for a few days, just ask the bloody bike seller 'do you have a green book for this bike' if yes do the transfer and buy it. If no walk away. Easy really.

Also as per Kata's post. if it has not been insured or taxed for a few years you have to pay upto date. if it has not been taxed for 5 years you need to apply for new copy green book.

Edited by happyfalangme

The bike has never had the green book. If the bike is registered ie has a number plate then it has a green book

About the LTO, I was meaning that as it have a plate, it was probably registrated there. Then it has a green book

According to the owner it was. How, I don't know. He also told me, that we have to go there to change the ownership. Then it has a green book

But maybe the plate is just a fake.... Possibly. if so walk away

I know there have been, and are, many "grey" bikes at the market. So this is sure one of them. Grey bikes still have plates and green books, you need to check the book carefully that the numbers and info match.

In my search for a big motorbike, there have been mentioned "city tax". About 12k THB. What exactly is that? Dont know. guessing the 3%customs tax if no plate/greenbook.

Is this common for every bike, every city? No. only unplated dodgy bikes

Cheers

I altered your post because it was easier. hope you do not mind.

Mate honestly you have been posting for a few days, just ask the bloody bike seller 'do you have a green book for this bike' if yes do the transfer and buy it. If no walk away. Easy really.

Also as per Kata's post. if it has not been insured or taxed for a few years you have to pay upto date. if it has not been taxed for 5 years you need to apply for new copy green book.

you're right happy guy...having had a few bikes without green book in the past...i could also assume that he has a bike maybe on invoice and just some plate from another bike(crashed bike or lost) mounted ( i had that too on one of my bikes a few years back- and yes this is surely not legal) i was able to insure it and nobody really cared, then. Now , a few years later, this i wouldn't do anymore...but i guess the excise tax is helping in avoiding to get the invoiced bike confiscated. Just for further info ask the seller if he has a green book and crosscheck the nr's are matching and neither of those nrs have traces of a re-stamp (forging the original nrs) and if the book is having page 18 also something written

No 100% clean green book - no buy for me....this is what i am doing these days - if you look around and take a bit time you can still find 100% legal Big Bikes for a decent price.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Ok, thanks everyone for all inputs and info!

I have now more understanding about this topic.

I will return to LOS in a week. Then I will check up the plate at a insurance-company.

So then I will see...:wai:

Cheers,

NorIsaan

I brought my bike from TP, had a few little problems, but talked to owner and everything was taken care of. It took me about 3 months to get a book and plate, so they did alright, happy with the bike....

Wildoates. When did ya buy it?

Jan 2008