Ownership Of Motorcycle

Colabamumbai

'When transferring ownership, if it registered in a different province, you need to go to the motor vehicle department in the province where it was originally registered"

This is what most Thais will tell you. But it is not correct (i think they changed the rules years ago).

Tony (bigbikebkk) has sold and bought numerous bikes and transfered at his local LTD for bikes bought elsewhere or at the buyers LTD for BKK bikes. So if you are paying anyone to do it for you your mad. unless its the local insurance guy cos you haven't got time (100-150b)

PS. One thing to remember though IF you have a grey book then it WOULD be advisable to transfer at the registered LTD. As they are very unlikely to cause a problem.

what is a grey book????

It is a recycled green book. A book that has been altered to suit the bike and the bike altered to suit the book.

Many big bikes here in Thailand have these especially older bikes as it was an even bigger nightmare to get official books than it is now also the Thai 'Mai pen rai" attitude allowed this to happen eg easier and cheaper. That's why its always mentioned to check the frame and engine numbers against the book, also check the number of cylinders in the book, I have seen an Sr400 which has two cylinders according to the book.....(single cylinder bike).. But transferred twice no problem (last time one month ago)

Edited by thaicbr

...you will need/get a letter of residency from Thai Immigration.... (2) your blue book for the house you live in/"own" or your rental agreement for your residence; (3) if the house book is in a company name (your name will not appear in the blue book in such a case), bring a recent electric bill or telephone bill with your name on it to show the connection to the house/residence;

What is a 'blue book'? I've never heard of it.. I have no papers whatsoever other than my passport, visa, and work permit.

But that only works when buying new not private sales..

Yes, I was buying used but from the dealer. When I have bought from individuals or small shops I never was able to get the bike licensed or get a valid ownership book, alas.

...you will need/get a letter of residency from Thai Immigration.... (2) your blue book for the house you live in/"own" or your rental agreement for your residence; (3) if the house book is in a company name (your name will not appear in the blue book in such a case), bring a recent electric bill or telephone bill with your name on it to show the connection to the house/residence;

What is a 'blue book'? I've never heard of it.. I have no papers whatsoever other than my passport, visa, and work permit.

But that only works when buying new not private sales..

Yes, I was buying used but from the dealer. When I have bought from individuals or small shops I never was able to get the bike licensed or get a valid ownership book, alas.

Work Permit usually displays your adress, and some Immigration accept this to issue Certificate of Residence

• 1 year later...

No and No.

She is a liar and knows it, same as most Thai's. Buy the bike, put it in your name and get a new wife while you are at it, plenty to choose from. Sorry mate.

That is the great thing about these forums, helps to stop the Thai cheating ways via information from other ex pats.

If I remember correctly, copy passport and a letter of residence from immigration. I have been told you can even buy on a tourist visa now, someone will let us now via the forum, I am sure.

Pattayabuggy... Pattaya is not Thailand. Its pattaya. Its some times better to think of it like another country (a nasty, dirty version of the real Thailand )

I dont think its so much LIAR but misinformed. Most Thais just listen to what another thai says and thats gospel. But normally wrong or out of date. My girlfriend said that i could not transfer the bike at a different LT office to the one its registered at . but off course you can. I told her a friend did it recently she made a phone call the next day to the local LT office and apologised for misinforming me.

Now that is news, a thai apologising.

Well here is another question for bike ownership. Guy I met last week who is here on a Student Visa wants to purchase a bike, it appears that he was issued a 3 month but he will be here for a year getting renewals every quarter. Anyone know if this guy could go out and purchase a bike putting it in his name and if so what the process is?

He is here in Bangkok.

Edited by commande

Well here is another question for bike ownership. Guy I met last week who is here on a Student Visa wants to purchase a bike, it appears that he was issued a 3 month but he will be here for a year getting renewals every quarter. Anyone know if this guy could go out and purchase a bike putting it in his name and if so what the process is?

He is here in Bangkok.

yes,its easy

they will consider him as a student (ED visa ) so he has as much right to buy bike as anyone else

He will be able to give a copy of his ed visa and proof or residence from the embassy and that will be enough

for the DLT

Wife says if I buy motorcycle that the registration must be in her name. Is this true? Do you need valid Thai license to purchase and register motorcycle.?
I'd double check most things that comes out of your wife's mouth from now on if I were you, unless she is from way up in the sticks.

Ps, why did you not just take her word on it?

• Like 1

He is here in Bangkok.

yes,its easy

they will consider him as a student (ED visa ) so he has as much right to buy bike as anyone else

He will be able to give a copy of his ed visa and proof or residence from the embassy and that will be enough

for the DLT

Thanks I will let the guy know - in the event he asked because if I was him I would ask what is this letter from the Embassy that he needs to get? Guy is from America if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks again!

He is here in Bangkok.

yes,its easy

for the DLT

Thanks I will let the guy know - in the event he asked because if I was him I would ask what is this letter from the Embassy that he needs to get? Guy is from America if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks again!

its a standard document that confirms you reside in thailand

the embassy will confirm it (usually without bothering to check ) if you show them a rent statemnet ,utility bill or a lease for a condo

the embassy will confirm it (usually without bothering to check ) if you show them a rent statemnet ,utility bill or a lease for a condo

I had to get one of these from the Oz embassy in Bangkok. They had an example above the blank Stat Dec forms, so I completed one with the relevant information, and the girl behind the counter signed and stamped it, with no further evidence required.

I had to get one of these from the Oz embassy in Bangkok. They had an example above the blank Stat Dec forms, so I completed one with the relevant information, and the girl behind the counter signed and stamped it, with no further evidence required.

Great information, I will pass it on, much appreciated!!!