Scam

:o

SCAMS....Be prepared to be RIPPED OFF if a motorbike ridder drives up beside you as you walk down a Samui street - especially in Chaweng or Lamai.

They usually open with "Hello, you speak English ?" or "You speak German" or whatever depending on your appearance.

They are usually English or European - although they seem to be training a few locals lately. They are neatly dressed and speak well. They will attempt to start a conversation anyway they can. And the good nature of tourists usually means they will get a friendly reply.

BEWARE - they are setting you up and will make money from you in the process. They make their living from this practice so you can see it coming out off your pocket.

They usually work in teams. There may be another bike watching you from a distance. Often it drives past and parks 30-40 metres up the road and watches in the rear view mirror or sits across on the other side of the road. There may be a pillion passenger on one or both bikes.

These parasites only want your money. Tell them to get lost - you know what they're up to.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

... BEWARE - they are setting you up and will make money from you in the process. They make their living from this practice so you can see it coming out off your pocket. ...

Setting up what ? are they simple asking for money, trying to sell a bridge, what ?

SCAMS....Be prepared to be RIPPED OFF if a motorbike ridder drives up beside you as you walk down a Samui street - especially in Chaweng or Lamai.

They usually open with "Hello, you speak English ?" or "You speak German" or whatever depending on your appearance.

They are usually English or European  - although they seem to be training a few locals lately. They are neatly dressed and speak well. They will attempt to start a conversation anyway they can. And the good nature of tourists usually means they will get a friendly reply.

BEWARE - they are setting you up and will make money from you in the process. They make their living from this practice so you can see it coming out off your pocket.

They usually work in teams. There may be another bike watching you from a distance. Often it drives past and parks 30-40 metres up the road and watches in the rear view mirror or sits across on the other side of the road. There may be a pillion passenger on one or both bikes.

These parasites only want your money. Tell them to get lost  - you know what they're up to.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

Get to the point Jim.

Still don't know what or whom to be aware of.

Your explanation will be very handy for all of us here.

Of course that's not true.

The touts trawl up and down the Chaweng beach road looking for couples who look like they can afford their overpriced TIMESHARE rooms.

It's at this point that the spiel and the scratchcards come out....

These people are 'confidence tricksters'. In short, 'con men'.

It is hardly the fault of the short term holiday makers who have no idea that a fellow European/countryman would wish to trick them.

Edited by valentinoxxx

You sure they are not the Katoeys outside Burger King in Chaweng at 3 in the morning :D Get more than ripped off I am informed.

Duncan.

• 2 weeks later...
He's writing about the Timeshare touts.

Yep, very likely to be the Timeshare touts.

Although it sounds like the original poster didnt even know this much, simply decided it was a scam on the grounds that a stranger stopped him in the street !! :o

Must be a cynical Brit ! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Can't you just say no thanks???

They wont take no for an answer.

But a few words in something that can pass for Russian always turn them away.

viking

I think a regular "mai aow khap" will do . Most people who are looking for innocent tourists back off when you speak to them in Thai . You can even push it further , but the "mai aow khap" i think everybody can remember and works 99% of the time .

I've had the same thing happen in Phuket, sometimes twice on one block. Usually tell them to get a real job or p1ss off home. If they won't leave you alone get close enough to take the keys out of their bike and toss them in the bush or the drain and walk away while they're scrambling for them.

Most of these guys are on their last legs, having had no luck finding real work, and settle for touting, which IMO isn't any better than the fake cripples begging for money.

Ignore these losers and walk away.

cv

What's the scam???????????

Timeshare touts hoping to make hefty commissions at your expense. Financially or with your nerves.

So at the end of the day it's your choice. Say "no" to timeshare. That's it!

Looking for "rich" foreigners and making some commision to stay here for few weeks more it's better than stealing or waiting for free drink and the bar like some farangs do sometimes.

Samui and LOS expats!, we are all old enough to smell and reject scams, aren't we...? Don't blame them.

If I'm wrong correct me pls.

With respect to all.

Some of these guys actually make a lot of money, unfortunately it's not some loosers who want to stay a few weeks longer but guys who were on Samui already, some of them flown in from other destinations possibly, who were successfull there.

It's always the same faces making the rounds, latest new thing is they added Thais to do the work as well.

They seem to know the locals and never bother me, unfortunately. Can't wait to tell one of these guys to go and fork himself.

Khun Jean, not sure about the workpermit angle. They've been around so long, that either they must have them or the big guys buy drinks on a regular base for the timeshare big guys.

One of the places we're talking about is the Peninsula in Choengmon. My sister stayed there and it's funny (well, not really, but for the first few times it is) when you see heavily tattood British guys who you wouldn't trust a yota, showing the premises to some tourists who fell for the touts.

Timeshare touts hoping to make hefty commissions at your expense. Financially or with your nerves.

Looking for "rich" foreigners and making some commision to stay here for few weeks more it's better than stealing or waiting for free drink and the bar like some farangs do sometimes.

Samui and LOS expats!, we are all old enough to smell and reject scams, aren't we...? Don't blame them.

With respect to all.

No problem... I'll correct you.

It's a con. 'Con' is short for confidence trick. This means that you are gaining someone's confidence in order to trick them.

The trick begins with the free scratchcards.... Look at that, you've won a T Shirt... Ooh, but look, your wife/partner has won a free holiday/big prize.

I know most of the people involved. Low class/lowlife. The ones that weren't, are now. The love of money....

As an aside, some of these people are coming directly from selling timeshare in Spain, Canaries etc

These are NOT people trying to make a few dollars hoping to stay a few weeks more.

US$1000 a week is certainly not unheard of and they are out there day in day out.

Money is their ONLY motive. The packages are POOR value.

What's with the 'rich foreigner' nonsense? They target couples who are on short term holidays. They don't want them knowing the score or hanging around afterwards.

Edited by valentinoxxx

With respect to all.

No problem... I'll correct you.

It's a con. 'Con' is short for confidence trick. This means that you are gaining someone's confidence in order to trick them.

The trick begins with the free scratchcards.... Look at that, you've won a T Shirt... Ooh, but look, your wife/partner has won a free holiday/big prize.

I know most of the people involved. Low class/lowlife. The ones that weren't, are now. The love of money....

As an aside, some of these people are coming directly from selling timeshare in Spain, Canaries etc

These are NOT people trying to make a few dollars hoping to stay a few weeks more.

US$1000 a week is certainly not unheard of and they are out there day in day out.

Money is their ONLY motive. The packages are POOR value.

What's with the 'rich foreigner' nonsense? They target couples who are on short term holidays. They don't want them knowing the score or hanging around afterwards.

Got your point. You are right. I apologize.

Never thought that way although met few of them working part time making some money to stay bit longer here. Those on the top...? Another story.

Thinking about buying timeshare now... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to show you the email answer that I received from the guys of the Quality Resorts International (http://www.phukets.info/phuket-classifieds/qri/) :

"Our Company is seriously expanding all over Thailand hence, we need

experienced Reps/Liners who are focused & commited to work for at least 6 months.

The standard package our Company offers is:

1 months accommodation ( FREE ) Nice Hotel !

We will pay 50% of your flight costs after 3 deals and the remaining 50%

after another 3 deals. ( flight costs: no more than US$ 800 ).

Commissions starting 10% up to 20%.

Average earning per month approximately 3000 - 5000 US$.

Plus daily spiffs and bonus's.

Excellent ongoing training provided, visas arranged, work permits supplied.

Due to our expansion plans, there will be Management/TO positions in the

near future to Reps/Liners who prove themselves !

Can you e-mail me a 1 or 2 contact numbers please.

Do you have any Reps, OPC's, friends or associates that you can bring with

you ?

When will you arrive in Thailand ? ( Training in Phuket )

Great relaxing lifestyle and a friendly place to work."

In the first time I thought it could be a good opportunity. :D

I answered them asking more details (may be too many) and I haven't received any reply. :D

I will appreciate a real experience from one of these timeshare salesman because sometime it's possible to find a good opportunity hidden behind many negative rumours. :o

thanks

Interested to know why one would want to speak Thai?

Why ??? Because you can understand what people are talking about ... Gives you a total different kind of look about things . You can say , i don't care , i'm just a tourist and i don't want to know , well that is fine ... I always want to try to talk to people in their own language , especially when i'm in their country . You also get a lot less hassle around from people wanting to scam you , if they hear you speak Thai , they back off very fast and look for the tourist who doesn't speak it .

I will appreciate a real experience from one of these timeshare salesman

How would you ever get the truth out of one. They wouldn't know the truth if it shat in their mouth.

There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.

Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe