US Lawmakers Warn Thailand On Russian Arms Dealer Viktor Bout

george

US lawmakers warn Thailand on alleged Russian arms dealer

WASHINGTON, August 19, 2010 (AFP) - US lawmakers warned Thailand in a letter released Thursday not to free alleged Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, ahead of a final Thai ruling on a US extradition request for the so-called "Merchant of Death."

In a sharply worded letter to Thailand's US ambassador, Don Pramudwinai, the lawmakers charged that the kingdom's handling of Bout's case had not been "fair and transparent" and warned it could harm bilateral relations.

The group complained that they had only learned through Bout's lawyer and the media that a Thai appeals court would decide Friday whether to send the accused arms trafficker to the United States to face terrorism charges.

"We find the potential release of a man responsible for countless deaths of innocents in Africa and elsewhere simply astounding," said the group, led by House Foreign Affairs Committee Howard Berman, a Democrat.

"More so as there is little doubt that he would return to his deadly trade, arming those targeting US and Thai interests around the globe," they said in the letter, which was delivered to the Thai embassy on Wednesday.

Republican Representative Ed Royce released the letter, which was also signed by Democratic Senator Russell Feingold and Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the top Republican on Berman's committee.

Bout, said to have inspired the Hollywood film "Lord of War" starring Nicolas Cage, has been fighting extradition since his March 2008 arrest in Bangkok on charges of peddling weapons around the world, including to Al-Qaeda.

A Thai criminal court last August rejected a US request to extradite the man dubbed the "Merchant of Death", saying it did not have the authorities to punish foreigners for their actions against other foreigners overseas.

A US indictment accuses Bout of using a fleet of cargo planes to transport weapons and military equipment to Africa, South America and the Middle East.

During an undercover operation, Bout allegedly agreed to supply surface-to-air missiles to US anti-drug agents posing as rebels from Colombia's Marxist FARC group, which Washington considers a terrorist organization.

The 43-year-old former Soviet air force pilot speaks six languages and is known by eight different aliases.

The nickname "Merchant of Death" was coined by a former British foreign office minister and also used for a 2007 book on Bout's alleged activities.

Bout, who has been held at a maximum-security prison outside Bangkok, has denied the charges and says that he ran a legitimate air cargo business.

He faces life in prison if sent to the United States and convicted there on terrorism charges, which include conspiracy to kill US officers or employees and conspiracy to acquire and use an anti-aircraft missile.

"It especially pains us to say that the lack of coordination surrounding Viktor Bout’s legal case is unfitting of a 'major non-NATO ally,' a designation granted Thailand in 2003," the US lawmakers said.

"Thank you in advance for communicating the negative impact on US-Thai relations that Bout’s release would have to the appropriate authorities in Bangkok," they wrote the ambassador.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-08-20

Time for Americans to realize that the time of being "world police" is over. Guess it's time to wake up.

:jap:

I guess it's appropriate you used the Japanese Wai. If it wasn't for the USA, Thailand and most all of South East Asia would be Japanese now. But I guess that's old history. Currently Thailand is trying to get off the USA's sh*t list of trading partners for copyright infringement violations. But what the heck, the Thai's let the North Korean arms dealers go too, but probably kept the weapons. Why not let the Russian go too?

It especially pains us to say that the lack of coordination surrounding Viktor Bout's legal case is unfitting of a 'major non-NATO ally,' a designation granted Thailand in 2003," the US lawmakers said.

But I guess you would rather support an international arms dealers than the USA. I hope these arms aren't used against your family or country. Who else is going to stand up against these weapons profiteers? You? wai.gif

Edited by Jimi007

Why is Thailand dealing with this in this manner. Can someone explain?

As you are a self confessed Nihilist;

1.the belief that nothing in life has any importance or value

2. dislike of all political and religious organizations. a belief that political and religious organizations should be destroyed

then why should you be concerned?

I

Time for Americans to realize that the time of being "world police" is over. Guess it's time to wake up.

Now I certainly know how the Thai gov. feels when the numerous other countries respond to their request to expedite Thaksin.

Edited by overhaul38

I have always wondered why only a Russian charter plane was allowed to land at U-Tapao Airport (Pattaya) and no other commercial airline, except for a domestic Bangkok Airways flight. I think a lot more than "passengers" are coming in on that flight.

I have a feeling Viktor, and his friends, know this flight very well, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, TIT (This Is Thailand). Just enjoy and try not to make sense out of it. After all, Thailand is in the top 10 of corrupt nations on the planet. :)

I guess it's appropriate you used the Japanese Wai. If it wasn't for the USA, Thailand and most all of South East Asia would be Japanese now. But I guess that's old history. Currently Thailand is trying to get off the USA's sh*t list of trading partners for copyright infringement violations. But what the heck, the Thai's let the North Korean arms dealers go too, but probably kept the weapons. Why not let the Russian go too?

It especially pains us to say that the lack of coordination surrounding Viktor Bout's legal case is unfitting of a 'major non-NATO ally,' a designation granted Thailand in 2003," the US lawmakers said.

But I guess you would rather support an international arms dealers than the USA. I hope these arms aren't used against your family or country. Who else is going to stand up against these weapons profiteers? You? wai.gif

Nicely put. ;)

I have always wondered why only a Russian charter plane was allowed to land at U-Tapao Airport (Pattaya) and no other commercial airline, except for a domestic Bangkok Airways flight. I think a lot more than "passengers" are coming in on that flight.

I have a feeling Viktor, and his friends, know this flight very well, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, TIT (This Is Thailand). Just enjoy and try not to make sense out of it. After all, Thailand is in the top 10 of corrupt nations on the planet. :)

Top 10?

1.Somalia2.Afghanistan3.Myanmar4.Sudan5.Iraq6.Chad7.Uzbekistan8.Turkmenistan9.Iran10.Haiti

The Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index define

Read more: The Top Ten: Most Corrupt Countries — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/toptens/mostcorruptcountries.html#ixzz0x5wDrNrk

Any western country would hand him over to the US immediately, But Thailand in line with other Asian nations the problem of "loss of face"occurs if they were to hand him straight over to the US. It has to be handled by correct diplomatic procedures.

I guess it's only safe for one country to sell arms, without consequences. I didn't hear anything about the US Army funnelling arms to an Iranian militia in the mid '80s. I guess they still don't want to admit to that. So if they can do it, why can't he.

www.beforetheysleep.com

It would make a great movie if people knew the truth.

Don't worry. If Thailand doesn't hand over Victor Bout, America will invade Thailand.

This course of action will be justified by the Americans due to the fact that Thailand will be seen as presenting a threat to American national security.

Edited by siampolee

Do you reckon the Thai snub of America has anything to do with the behavior of the US ambassador who openly talked with the red shirt leaders, now under terrorism charges, during the recent red shirt revolution attempt?

Perhaps, but maybe it's more Thailand doesn't want to be seen as America's bitch, a bit like the UK is. :whistling:

Reading this thread, I am "surprised" to see that, once more, some US citizens are pressuring the Courts of an independant state to obey their caprices or ...

A lot of people do know that there is no "Justice" in the US, that they kill a lot of innocents, and use torture, even on children !

So, a little bit of modesty would seem to me more appropriate, even when dealing with "non-whites, inferior people" (sic).

:ermm:

{"We find the potential release of a man responsible for countless deaths of innocents in Africa and elsewhere simply astounding," said the group, led by House Foreign Affairs Committee Howard Berman, a Democrat.

"More so as there is little doubt that he would return to his deadly trade, arming those targeting US and Thai interests around the globe," they said in the letter, which was delivered to the Thai embassy on Wednesday.}

I find it offensive that a country that has caused as much death around the world as America, the land of the free, has the balls to wave it's big stick at Thailand!

"We find the potential release of a man responsible for countless deaths of innocents in Africa and elsewhere simply astounding," said the group, led by House Foreign Affairs Committee Howard Berman, a Democrat.

All suspects are facing "potential release" while they are still under trial, apparently Howard Berman doesn't think they should be allowed that

Isn't the USA the worlds largest ( by volume and $$ ) weapons profiteer ??

You ever heard of the expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face"

Bollocking the US is grand fun, but you might look at who Viktor was selling arms to, the conflicts he helped fuel. This could prevent one from looking too foolish after the Leo bottle is finished off

Poor old Thailand, it seems to suffer a schizophrenia that swings between appeasing those who lend it support and those who have money. In other words; doing the right thing or doing the wrong thing.

In the Bout arrest, Thailand would have given the US considerable co-operation and themselves have been involved in planning an elaborate sting. Why then are they now going to let him go? The CIA would have made dam_n sure the Thai courts would nail Bout, beforehand.The CIA SE Asia division maintain a large presence in Thailand (along with the DEA) and the US govt no doubt pay the Thai govt and military a large amount (in cash, equipment or favours), and Thailand enjoys its benefits being the favoured US partner in the region. Can you imagine the fallout if Bout walks free after all this. Aside from this week's letter from Congress, I'm sure quite but firm overtures have been made directly to the prime minister.

So, why is Thailand doing this? It's not difficult for the courts to rule that FARC is indeed a terrorist organisation and to extradite Bout. Surely Russia's influence isn't that strong on Thailand. Personally, I think it's because money talks and bullshit walks. As is common, they've created a lucrative position, Bout has lots of money to spend, I'm sure it's all been taken care of. Certain people are probably a lot richer and THai-US relations will be somewhat poorer.

What's more, Thailand, once again sends out a strong signal to the world that this is an ideal place to hang out if you're an international arms dealer making deals, a pedophile, drug runner, money launderer, fugitive, mafia type...

Mai pen rai, it can all be fixed by running another expensive ad on CNN.

virtualtraveller

What's more, Thailand, once again sends out a strong signal to the world that this is an ideal place to hang out if you're an international arms dealer making deals, a pedophile, drug runner, money launderer, fugitive, mafia type...

Is it really appropriate to make a blanket suggestion that we non Thais who reside here are all either part time perverts or possibly full time perverts in your opinion and the worlds eyes ?

I have resided here for some twenty years, nary a brush with the law, nor a brush with the law in any other country for the previous 45 years of my existence either.

Judge not others less ye be judged yourself.

America is indeed a leading supplier of arms to assorted regimes as we all know, perhaps Bout was a niggling competitor to the Americans terrorism and arms industry.

Edited by siampolee

Thai court grants extradition of alleged Russian arms dealer

BANGKOK, August 20, 2010 (AFP) - A Thai appeals court on Friday granted a request by the United States for the extradition of Viktor Bout, an alleged Russian arms dealer dubbed the "Merchant of Death".

"The court has decided to detain him for extradition to the US," judge Jitakorn Patanasiri said, overturning a ruling last year by a lower court, which had refused to send him to the United States.

Bout, said to have inspired the Hollywood film "Lord of War" starring Nicolas Cage, has been fighting extradition since his March 2008 arrest in Bangkok in a sting operation involving US agents.

He faces life in prison if convicted in the United States on terrorism charges, including conspiracy to kill US officers or employees and conspiracy to acquire and use an anti-aircraft missile.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-08-20

Published with written approval from AFP.

footer_n.gif

Well it seems like Thailand came to it's senses, unlike some posters on this forum.

Edited by Jimi007

I find it offensive that a country that has caused as much death around the world as America, the land of the free, has the balls to wave it's big stick at Thailand!

And what is it that America has done to make you so angry as to say something like this?

If you have to ask a question like that do you really need the answer duh!

Conducted an illegal war against Iraq (a former US ally and btw so was Sadam Hussein - the brown eyed boy of the CIA untill he had the balls to invade Kuwait which was stolen from Iraq by Churchill in 1944, what peed off Sadam was that the kuwaitis were blatantly stealing oil from the iraqi side of the border for years despite frequent warnings of hostility

Yes the 'merican war machine is even bigger than their arms industry

Self righteous hypocracy

Thai court grants extradition of alleged Russian arms dealer

BANGKOK, August 20, 2010 (AFP) - A Thai appeals court on Friday granted a request by the United States for the extradition of Viktor Bout, an alleged Russian arms dealer dubbed the "Merchant of Death".

Well it seems like Thailand came to it's senses, unlike some posters on this forum.

Finished. Case closed.