Jailbreak Ios4: Good Apps List For You

CraigCraig

This comes up a lot: why jailbreak iOS4? Well there are a LOAD of good reasons, and I'm not even including piracy. Here's an essentials list of iOS4 compatible Cydia apps:

• - Categories: BETTER folder management. You can add the cydia hack that allows more than 12 apps in a folder, but this allows you to set nice icons too
  • - Activator (gestures for various functions)
  • - Backgrounder: get back control of multitasking cos iOS4 multitasking is AWFUL
  • - Browser changer: makes your prefered browser (eg Atomic) work for all links. ESSENTIAL!
  • - Cyntact: pics for all contacts within the phone app- five icon dock- five icon multitask bar
  • - flashlight: flashlight WAY brighter than any appstore flashlight. I use this almost every day!
  • - FolderCloser: WOW. iOS4 folders are SO annoying cos they stay open. This makes them close after the app is launched. SO basic, SO useful
  • - iBlank: insert blank icons in your springboard layout
  • - MakeItMine: change (or clear) carrier name
  • - NoAssessorypPlash: WOW! When u plug iPhone into your new Landy 4 (or whateevr) you do not have to click 'OK' every time. GREAT
  • - Remove recents: keeps multitask bar limited to running apps. Not perfect IMHO
  • - SBSettings: quick access to toggle things like 3G, wifi, etc
  • - Winterboard: change icons, themes. I think this is not so important any more but u can now theme the iOS4 folder background both for a clodes and open folder so that's OK
  • - There are many google latitude updating apps that keep your location known. Good for tracking kids (or wife?)
  • - iFile: file manager for iPhone that gets EVERYWHERE and play media and things natively. Stunning!
  • - iRemix (paid app): adds cool functionality to iPod app
  • - LockInfo (paid app): allows lockscreen and/or pull down page from anywhere showing al sorts of things like calendar (essential), weather, notifications, etc
  • - MobileTerminal: BSD terminal for techies. Cool but not yet perfectly iOS4 compatible

Those are really essential things that Apple should have done in iOS4. There's other fun stuff like YouTube downloaders, many many streaming movie players for all sorts of shows and content, lots of navigation stuff that still not allowed by Apple, and a load you can do with Google Maps (eg create map on web then get it into ur iPhone). I use Rock rather than Cydia - much friendlier and it keeps a backup of my prefered apps.

So, JailBreaking is still a very worthwhile exercise IMHO. And that's before you ven talk about unlocking (ie buy cheap from AT&T then use on another network) or piracy (ie download cracked apps). Neither of which I need to do myself cos it's pretty cheap to pay for these apps anyway.

Edited by CraigCraig

I'd like add 3:

iBlacklist, a call screening app. blocks calls/sms from any number you select. can be time based, so can accept at certain times, and it also it also removes selected numbers from call/sms logs. Password protected with a various app icons to disguise it with. Essential for a jao chuu in LOS!! wink.gif

MyWi, opens tethering, and also turns your phone into a wifi hotspot

3g unrestrictor - tricks the phone into thinking it's on wifi when your on 3g, so you can make skype calls/facetime

Though up to now the jailbreak site just hasn't worked on my I4. tried many times already, I swipe it and it just shows the space background.

Gonna do a restore as new, and try again in a mo, fingers crossed