Isaan Trip

DangerousDavies

I'm looking for a hotel near the Udon Thani airport with car parking for one night.

Then I need to leave my car, preferably with secure parking which I'm willing to pay for, in Nong Khai for two nights.

I know the general area quite well from a few years back.

The plan (plan A of course) is to drive to Udon, stay over night and pick people up at the airport the next morning; then go to the Friendship bridge, parking the car nearby on the way for easy collection two days later.

Parking in Nongkhai - Some time ago I used a secure car park about 200 meters from the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. It is on your left side. They will give you a ticket and the fee was 100 Baht per day.

With regards to hotels in Udon Thani you can do a search on the net like on http://www.udonthanihotels.com/ as I don't know what type/price of hotel you are looking for.

You'll find various old threads discussing the hotel options in Udon (or try Udonmap.com). As the airport isn't far, I would be tempted to stay in town and perhaps sample the restaurants and bars. I was there a week ago and stayed at the Charoen, which was okay though nothing special (about 1000 baht with breakfast). As many people recommend it, I also dropped in to look at Top Mansion while I was walking around, and thought it looked good value for I think around 350 baht - very good location too. Both have parking.

As said above, you can pay to leave your car near the bridge. Alternatively if you stay at the Nong Khai Grand they will allow you to leave your car there for a couple of extra nights, and you can get a tuk tuk to the bridge.

Are you a Swans fan who occasionally visits the ECFC website? If so, I never did give you that video of the live feed from a few seasons ago!

Thanks for that.

No,sorry, my football allegiance runs further south than Sydney.

Unless, of course, you were referring to Swansea City Association Football Club, in which case my affections tend towards the Toon.

I'm not familiar with the Nong Khai Grand, I've usually stayed at the Pantawee Hotel which also has parking but I'm not sure how secure it is.

I like the idea of the park at the border though, it will save messing around with tuktuks.

Guess it is not surprising that there is another using your user name in the real South Wales, where the Davies's, Evans's and Jones's abound.

The Grand is further from the centre of town than the Pantawee, and has a more secure car park. I like it because it has better facilities, a kind of cafe, 'The Music Room' that can be good, a disco and a swimming pool. Last time I was there there was also an interesting Thai-style cafe (i.e. sing-song bar) opposite across the main road.

Edited by citizen33

DDavies, the carpark near the bridge as you drive towards the bridge is on your right side, just before you get to the bridge do a u-turn, then its on your left side, loads of tuk tuks and look out for a new 7 11, turn in left, go between the 7 11 and shops on your left, the secure carpark is right in front of you, make sure they understand that you will leave it for 2 nights, sorry, cant remember price,,

Top Mansion is the place! parking at the rear, and very good new rooms, UBC,fridge,shower ect, and lots of falang bars/resturants close by, they do thai food as well,

Cheers, Lickey,,