California Wow Fitness Center

flyingfox

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyhighlight.do?symbol=CAWOW&language=en&country=US

They're losing 200 million baht a year and have a market cap of 250 million Baht. They're having to raise hundreds of millionsin new equity by selling shares to shareholders. How long do you think they'll be able to do that while hemorrhaging money?

They obviously can't borrow any more and in fact are having to sell off assets to pay back debt and cover the losses.

I wouldn't pay this company 3 months in advance, never mind 3 years!

Got a phone call last Saturday: A friendly guy from Cali Wow, offering a 2 -week free-member ship. Would like to see me on Sunday...........

I told him that I wasn't really interested.

2 hours later, same Saturday........a friendly lady from Cali Wow phoned me............offered me a 1 week free membership. I told her, that I talked to a male colleague earlier......offering me 2 weeks, but anyway........no time and no interest.

"Leally?"

They're desperate.

I bought a lifetime membership from CAWow two years ago, paid THB 28,000 and pay 100 baht/year after the first year. I've been happy with it and I get my money's worth as I use the gym 4-5 times a week.

But given their financial woes as stated by CM Tourist, be careful. Check out Fitness First; they're also good.

Cali Wow is a decent gym but after about three years of selling lifetime memberships it is certainly gets busy some parts of the day. The cardio equipment is probably the best in Pattaya. The weight area is not as good, it's plenty big but always busy and don't expect any politeness from the grunting tourists. I wouldn't take one of their trainers either, they just walk you around the machines, you never see them actually making people work.

So in summary, not a bad place if you you can go at off peak hours and don't mind mind some rudeness. I paid about 14,000 for a lifetime membership and have paid 100 twice to keep it active. Don't forget to pay your 100, if your even one day late too bad.

Since California Wow constructed a glassed in spinning room inside of the main fitness area, the place is cramped. Around the weight machines, you can't help but run into them while someone is working out or walking, and the free weight area is too small. Meanwhile, the place has too many cardio machines (too make a big impresson to the visiting client) . In the evenings, CA Wow becomes very busy and you have to wait to use the machines and the free weights. During the day no problem. For me, I work during the day, so I ended joining another gym for during the week so I don't have to deal with waiting to use the weights and some machines at CA WOW after 6pm. Many people there are on holiday so they do not put the free weights away (though they can bench press 300 pounds) and sit on the machines while socializing. The staff is there to be hired as trainers, not to put the equipment away or help the guests. If you don't mind the distance, Tony's or Fairtex may be a better deal if you don't want to deal with crowds in the evenings.

The price of a membership at CA Wow varies like the weather. My three year membership (only can use in Pattaya) was for 9999 baht; meanwhle last year they offered a life time membership to my Thai friend for 12,000 baht.

I joined 2 years ago for 13,999 for the first three years, and then 1,000 or 2,000 / year for lifetime, or until they close.

Last month, they told my mother 10,000 for one year or 54,000 lifetime. One year was fine wth her.

I am happy with the place, even though as a whole, I think it is very unfriendly, and believe it stems from the former and current management, to the employees, and the to the members.

I have lived in Pattaya for 12 of the past 20 years, and have never been anywhere which has so little communication between people so close to each other. I do not expect it to be a bar, and people are there to exercise, not mingle, but I think the place has t be the most unfriendly gym I have ever been a member of.

It is not a bad idea to try Tony's, as he has been here for a long time, plus has the little gym on Buakhow, an may open another one elsewhere too. I have not heard any complaints from any friends who exercise at his places.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the hours of the Pattaya California WOW?

I wish they'd go to a 24/7/365 schedule. I'm a night person, and used to LOVE going for a workout at 2 or 3AM when I lived in the USA!

That was mainly in Las Vegas, and it was entertaining to watch the entertainers (show girls, male dancers) arrive after work. But, even with them, it was never crowded.

Cali Wow is a decent gym but after about three years of selling lifetime memberships it is certainly gets busy some parts of the day. The cardio equipment is probably the best in Pattaya. The weight area is not as good, it's plenty big but always busy and don't expect any politeness from the grunting tourists.

I don't think too many of the grunters are tourists. There's no daily rate and their monthly rates are very expensive.

If you want to see a lot of grunting tourists, go to Tony's.

I got the lifetime for 10k and that covers all cawows in bkk too, the main reason i bought it. Anwyay it is the worst gym i have ever trained in, too many crappy personal trainers, and way to busy during most hours I would say, but after 5-6pm ridik busy just rubbish, grpups of 4-5 thai guys clogging up a machine for over an hour, hate the place as someone said wish it was 24 hours sure you would need to go at 3am but it would be worth it!

I got the lifetime for 10k and that covers all cawows in bkk too, the main reason i bought it. Anwyay it is the worst gym i have ever trained in, too many crappy personal trainers, and way to busy during most hours I would say, but after 5-6pm ridik busy just rubbish, grpups of 4-5 thai guys clogging up a machine for over an hour, hate the place as someone said wish it was 24 hours sure you would need to go at 3am but it would be worth it!

I think you're being a bit harsh here. Although they do have plenty of members, it's quite easy to avoid the crowds. Early morning is pretty good. I go after 9pm (or 8pm weekends) and don't have a problem getting a good workout in. For people mainly interested in cardio machines, it's a very good place to go - you'll always be able to find a tread mill or eliptical to use.

Your overall assessment must be in the context of gyms in Pattaya. In that context it's a pretty good gym as we don't have a lot of choices.