Opening A Factory In Thailand

deankham

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked lot's of times before in various posts, so apologies if I'm covering lots of old ground!

Currently I'm working in Hong Kong for a large European company. I'm making the initial plans to start my own business. It will be in the 'green energies' sector and most likely include a mixture between re-selling consumer goods (chargers / batteries / solar panels / etc ) but I'd also like to start a factory where I assemble my own product line from components sourced in china (wind turbines / complete solar packages for offices & houses / etc).

I'm starting to research the best way of stating the business and where to register it. One option is to Register the business in Hong Kong and then open a regional office / factory in Thailand. I would be running both so would probably commute from HK to Thailand. (Alternatively I might just move to thailand assuming I can get visas?)

I don't have any clue about the laws around starting a Ltd company in Thailand versus a regional office and if there is a difference?

Would I be allowed to start a business in Thailand (HQ in Hong Kong) as a foreigner or would I need to do some type of joint venture / partial Thai ownership?

Would I be allowed to be the MD of the company and hence get a work permit? If not what is the laws about me working in thailand but being resident in another country (HK)?

Assuming it's possible to start the business, what investment would I need to satisfy the legal requirements.

Thanks for any advice or if you can point me in the right direction.

Deankham.

Ps - If it's relevant my wife is a Thai national although we both are residents of Hong Kong.

All of the questions that you asked can be found on the internet. However, I can simplified few answers.

1. Represenative or regional office can be registered in Thailand but can only engaged in non-trading activities

2. Any foreigner can incorporate an office and performed manufacturing and trading activities in partnership, limited companies or joint venture. Partnership concepts are same in western concepts. Limited and JV must have local participation at 51/49 ratio

3. Incorporated companies, you are entitled to work permit and visa

4. I think the registered capital is about 2M Baht (stand corrected).

Hope above of some help to you.