Abhisit Needs Good People To Help Ward Off Scavengers

webfact

SIDLINES

Abhisit needs good people to help ward off scavengers

By Sopon Onkgara

The Nation

The annual reshuffle of senior officials is underway at ministries and important organisations.

The personnel changes serve to implement government policies and special assignments, either for personal or public interest. It's time for Prime Minister Abhisit to select his team to effect real policy implementation, now that the country has a Bt2 trillion budget for 2011.

That's the highest amount ever, reflecting the nature of this government as a big spender.

Alas. A big chunk, up to 30 per cent in most cases, will be diverted to the pockets of the three partners in the axis of evil in our self-serving politics - politicians, bureaucrats and private contractors. They have already agreed to share the spoils from taxpayers' money.

For the record, Abhisit is generally recognised as a politician with a good conscience, integrity and clean hands, as opposed to others in the coalition and opposition. He has a strong sense of purpose, with a determination to succeed as the chief executive. He is the only person with any credibility left to ensure a fair degree of public support for his administration. The rest are regarded as a gallery of rogues, and many are crooks.

During his term so far, Abhisit has tried to prevent coalition partners from getting their hands in the cookie jar. The huge budget is too tempting for these political desperados. At times, he has had to let pet projects go to these partners in crime, just to enable the coalition to survive the red shirts' attempt to topple it. This means that, against his will, his position has been compromised; he has been a victim of coercive political bargaining by coalition partners who have taken key ministries in exchange for bought loyalty. The public accepts his status as a blackmailed victim.

The alternative is the return to power of Pheu Thai, funded and owned by Thaksin Shinawatra.

What is the ideal position that Abhisit should consider as his means for policy implementation and as a defence against political duress? We all know that politicians are building up power and influence for longevity on their own turf. Abhisit has so far not paid much attention to this aspect of influence building, or maybe he just cannot do so.

Now that he has survived two major national crises in two consecutive years, he should demand participation and decision making in selecting key officials. As chief executive, he has every right to do so - never mind the power sharing arrangement with the coalition partners. In the end, he has to accept the responsibility resulting from the success or failure of his administration.

But the coalition partners will never accept responsibility, once they have taken their loot and kickbacks. Abhisit must show that he is boss, and bang the table if need be. He needs trusted and competent people to fulfil his agenda. The key positions should include the chief of the Revenue Department, chief of Economic Crime Division, chief of Special Investigations, and key posts in the police, and they must all work together under him.

This way, he can enhance his leverage over the coalition partners. The Revenue Department would serve well in going after tax payments, the Economic Crime Division can investigate tax cases, and the DSI can arrest violators if evidence is substantiated. The coalition partners will hiss and show their discontent. Let them.

For over a year, Abhisit has used a soft approach in dealing with these political cut-throats and thieves. He needs to force them to toe the line rather than let them plunder the national coffers with him on the receiving end of the public's wrath.

He has two key ministries - Finance and Justice - under Democrat control. He chairs the Police Commission on Policy but his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban oversees transfers and reassignments. He should take full control of this as well, to ensure enforcement of law and order in the face of a revived red-shirt movement.

To achieve all this, Abhisit requires extra courage. He must take the bull by the horns. He must twist the arms of hotshots in his camp and in the coalition. Positions of power must be assigned to honest and competent officials who share his wavelength in pursuing the national mission. His judgement must be error-free and not based on cronyism.

This may sound too good to become reality. Success or failure can be possible only with guts and a strong sense of purpose. He has several days to decide the next course of action. Let's hope that he has the courage to fulfil our expectations.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-24

For the record, Abhisit is generally recognised as a politician with a good conscience, integrity and clean hands, as opposed to others in the coalition and opposition. He has a strong sense of purpose, with a determination to succeed as the chief executive. He is the only person with any credibility left to ensure a fair degree of public support for his administration. The rest are regarded as a gallery of rogues, and many are crooks.

This is the same problem PM Chuan had, but I think that Abhisit has more moxie. He is the best politician that Thailand has to offer and he needs support rather than constant criticism if he is going to change anything for the better.

Both the red and the yellow leaders are mostly unprincipled opportunists looking for ways to enrich themselves at the expense of the Thai people. Abhisit is not perfect, but he is the closest thing to it around these parts politically .

Spot on, Ulysses. I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

This is the same problem PM Chuan had, but I think that Abhisit has more moxie. He is the best politician that Thailand has to offer and he needs support rather than constant criticism if he is going to change anything for the better.

Both the red and the yellow leaders are mostly unprincipled opportunists looking for ways to enrich themselves at the expense of the Thai people. Abhisit is not perfect, but he is the closest thing to it around these parts politically .

In the land of the blind, the one-eye man is the king. Unfortunately circumstances in Thailand that there are a lack of credible honest man in politics. If Ahbisit is the one, he is swimming against the tide and his chances of fulfilling his aspiration is close to nil. His leadership has not been tested. Most of the decisions were not made by him. Neither tested is his decision making. Thailand need to break away from this paradigm of corrupt politics. If he stick with the Democrat Party which has been tainted with corrupt politicians, Ahbisit will failed. I like him to succeed and he has better chance if he can form another party and attract honest and non-corruptable people. Thai poeple is sick of the politicians and will find this clean party appealing.

• Like 1

I totally agree also

• Like 1

I totally agree also

I think we all agree - he is Thailand's only chance - if the Red's could just see past the garbage and rhetoric being brainwashed into them. But how does he put a broom thru the politicians who are the corrupt scourge of this country?

Edited by asiawatcher
  • Like 1

Interesting story from which the newspaper owners were under investigation of the NCC and were saved by the coup bell. Abhisit has opted to kiss the behind of newin, that means a lot of overhead. Than if we look in his own party we can start by his deputy and see what he is doing to prevent common citizens to fish in his home province. A government that depends on scavengers like CP, Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn, has lost the battle before it started. By the way they are in great hurry to borrow as much as possible from the ADB and Japanese government. It is all because they need to put an economic stimulus package together. Strange if the economy was growing 7% as Abhisit claims. Why expanding the airport now at least making the decisions even though you are not an elected government. Is it about the 10%?

• Like 1

True. Though there is much to lament about how he came to power, we are where we are and I believe Abhisit is as honest as Thailand is going to get for now and he deserves more well-wishers and supporters. Abhisit has a better chance of succeeding if more citizens show their support and stand behind him. Perhaps there should be a White Shirt movement (white for honesty and integrity—or at least a beige Shirt movement for *relative* honest and integrity).

• Like 2

In the land of the blind, the one-eye man is the king. Unfortunately circumstances in Thailand that there are a lack of credible honest man in politics. If Ahbisit is the one, he is swimming against the tide and his chances of fulfilling his aspiration is close to nil. His leadership has not been tested. Most of the decisions were not made by him. Neither tested is his decision making. Thailand need to break away from this paradigm of corrupt politics. If he stick with the Democrat Party which has been tainted with corrupt politicians, Ahbisit will failed. I like him to succeed and he has better chance if he can form another party and attract honest and non-corruptable people. Thai poeple is sick of the politicians and will find this clean party appealing.

Nonsense. His leadership was tested to the brink earlier this year, and he came out to all observers looking reasonable and controlled. There are few people (apart from the usual propagandists /edit see post #7) that dispute this.

Edited by Insight
  • Like 1

Ulysses you've summed it up perfectly.

I wish Thaivisa forums had a "like" button to show you like a comment rather than having to reply or quote.

• Like 2

Apisit has performed superbly over the last 2 years, weathering all storms with skill and acumen, but what he must do before the next election, or before he's banished for 5 years, is visit Issan and the north. It's no good just appearing on TV, the Democrats have to be out there, reaching out to the people.

Let the red hooligans heckle him, but if he has reliable police protection, he must go to both regions to show he cares, otherwise the Democrats are just letting Pheua Thai and Pumjaithai carve the largest regions of Thailand up between themselves.

• Like 1

Pheu Thai, funded and owned by Thaksin Shinawatra.

Perhaps The Nation could also tell us who funds and "owns" the Democrat party. :unsure:

The Democratic Party was founded in 1946. I don't think it's owned by a single person, just like the PTP is not owned by K. Thaksin. There it stops. K. Thaksin seems main funder and policy maker for PTP. The Dem's have many funders and policy makers, K. Chuan just one of them. Without K. Thaksin PTP is nothing. Without K. Chuan the Dem's just continue.

Perhaps there should be a White Shirt movement (white for honesty and integrityor at least a beige Shirt movement for *relative* honest and integrity).

White shirt group before has already been discussed in Thai Visa. Conclusion was there is not enuff to make membership. anybody with power/wealth/influence are only dirty shirts.

There already is a dirty shirt movement, too late to start one. it'd called TIT

Edit; this thread is about the biggest problem, corruption. Op says 30% of budget will go to criminals, only 30!!!???

people who work very velly hard 360 days are mad at the corrupt ones.

Edited by yellow1red1

Perhaps there should be a White Shirt movement (white for honesty and integrity�or at least a beige Shirt movement for *relative* honest and integrity).

White shirt group before has already been discussed in Thai Visa. Conclusio theren is not enuff to make membership. anybody with power/wealth/influence are only dirty shirts.

There already is a dirty shirt movement, too late to start one. it'd called TIT

How right you are. On a practical side, it seems there may be a fortune to be made selling laundry detergent, or washing powder ;)

I agree he is probably the most capable of all of the riff raff. As for people giving him an easy time because he is in some way better than the rest, I completely disagree. The more that people have a go at him, the more he has to stand and fight his corner. The last thing I would ever want to see is the PAD saying Abhisit was the best thing since sliced bread, or that the reds decided they loved him to bits.

This would mean by definition, he would have sold out. I like Abhisit the best when he challenges these idiots to a debate or a discussion so that the country can see them for what charlatans they really are. The last thing Thailand needs now is a soft, compliant, weak, unprincipled PM, which be definition means he will p**s off someone on either side of the divide daily.

It isn't an easy job, but who said running any country, (let alone this mess) would be easy. As for elections, well lets see if he can get the Dems over a 30% vote. That in itself would be a miracle.

Democrats Party, funded and owned by the NaNa family. Yes, the NaNa family that owns Soi NaNa & NaNa Plaza. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_Nana

No where in that link does it say the Democrat Party is funded nor owned by Lek Nana's family.

He was a founder. His obituary in the paper that we cannot name states it. As for funding or owning it, who knows?

Democrats Party, funded and owned by the NaNa family. Yes, the NaNa family that owns Soi NaNa & NaNa Plaza. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_Nana

No where in that link does it say the Democrat Party is funded nor owned by Lek Nana's family.

He was a founder. His obituary in the paper that we cannot name states it.

Yes, he was one of the founders of the Party.

As for funding or owning it, who knows?

I know who doesn't know. SamritT

Edited by Buchholz