How Much Money Girls Are Making In Pattaya

nikkoid66

Surely minimum wage is linked somewhat with the cost of living. Paying over the odds for labour is not that much different to dual pricing, which I am sure you are happy with. :rolleyes: I do not believe that just because I am farang I should pay more. Yes, they get a pittance, but those are the market rates.

If I had my own business, before hiring I would check the market rates for each position and pay according to those rates. Why should I pay more?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely minimum wage is linked somewhat with the cost of living. Paying over the odds for labour is not that much different to dual pricing, which I am sure you are happy with. :rolleyes: I do not believe that just because I am farang I should pay more. Yes, they get a pittance, but those are the market rates.

If I had my own business, before hiring I would check the market rates for each position and pay according to those rates. Why should I pay more?

True, when in Rome.........The cost of living in Thailand is relatively cheap, if you live a Thai lifestyle. No one seems to go hungry. However, if you want a western lifestyle you pay a premium.

It's ironic that most foreigners make the trip from richer to poorer countries to take advantage of their relative wealth and then start feeling sorry for the people they came to exploit in the first place. If Thais were as rich as Europeans, how many expats would still be here? Rich Westerners seldom come to places like Thailand.

CIA Factbook figures are interesting:

Population living below the poverty line:

Thailand: 9.6% (2006 est)

USA 12% (2004 est)

For comparison, other countries in the region:

Burma: 32.7% (2007 est)

Laos: 26% (2009 est)

Cambodia: 31% (2004 est)

Malaysia: 5.1% (2002 est)

Indonesia 17.8% (2006 est)

Philippines 32.9% (2006 est)

Vietnam was reasonably low: 12.3% (2009 est)

Edited by tropo

I'm amazed that this thread has managed, or be allowed, to get to 3 pages.

I'll be even more amazed if its still open by the morning.

A Brit retiree's Thai wife I know is employing my wifes sister in law to work on her husbands orchard near Pak Chong.

12 hours = 150 baht.

Sadness

Slave driver, but it's true that in the country people will work like this. My wife's family offered to do wall and garden construction work for me at 150 baht an 8 hour day. I could not in all conscience pay such a pittance and feel good about myself. Even at 250 baht a day I feel slightly like some Victorian mill owner as I see the three of them toiling in the hot sun outside. They seem delighted and they even buy me a beer or low kow from time to time rather than expecting me to buy drinks. I expect some ex-pats here will accuse me of driving up labour prices - sorry but it's about time somebody did.

To be totally free of guilt why don't you pay them the same rates you'd pay someone in your home country?

I'm guilty of exploitation. I pay workers the going local rates with perhaps a few small bonuses thrown in.

Why should anyone feel guilty for paying the going rate ?

Would you go into Makro and say "That television is too cheap, here is another 5,000 Baht"

(Bad comparison. Macro is owned by wealthy people who don't work for 100 baht per day)

It's a personal thing that depends on your own personal morals and beliefs. I can understand people feeling bad about paying people a pittance even though it is the going rate. If you don't feel guilty, then good for you, it's one less thing for you to get stressed over.

I've known many girls who paid from 1000-2400/month rent. The one who paid 2400 had two rooms across from Camelot Hotel.

Shopgirls earn about 4-5000/month. Bank tellers about 6-7000. Electronics factory (hard drives etc) workers about 6-7000 with OT.

I knew one girl, uni degree, was a supervisor at Western Digital making 12,500/month.

When I met her in 2007 she was making 100K/month. At My Friend You where she was a top star.

Slave driver, but it's true that in the country people will work like this. My wife's family offered to do wall and garden construction work for me at 150 baht an 8 hour day. I could not in all conscience pay such a pittance and feel good about myself. Even at 250 baht a day I feel slightly like some Victorian mill owner as I see the three of them toiling in the hot sun outside. They seem delighted and they even buy me a beer or low kow from time to time rather than expecting me to buy drinks. I expect some ex-pats here will accuse me of driving up labour prices - sorry but it's about time somebody did.

If they were family they should have worked for free.

I never charge my family when I help them out.

My ex girl friend has a degree and can speak read and write english, Also has very good computer skills but always had a job in some office sitting at a computer working on websites and answering the phone for 8000-10,000 per month,

She would quit her job at the drop of a hat even to go on holiday for a few days and said...mai pen rai...can get a new job like that almost everyday if i want, But never find one with more salery,

She seemed to manage ok on less than 10,000 per month paying her rent and everything...never tried to get her hand in my pocket, And i think life in bkk is more expencive than pattaya,

Another girl i know works as a computer programer 13,000 per month, I think nikkoid66 girls are telling porkies,

I knew one girl, uni degree, was a supervisor at Western Digital making 12,500/month.

When I met her in 2007 she was making 100K/month. At My Friend You where she was a top star.

A place devoted to the house speciality of rimming.

If one is happy to earn one's crust by dining on the poopshoot of various men, then good for them.

As the going rate there is about 700b, split with the bar, then 100k a month is a lot of poopshoot eating. We will have to presume it was sponsors filling her coffers, so to speak.

Paying the "going rate" (or rather "market rate") is the correct way to do.

Labour is a commodity and the market determines the price. If you pay higher salaries than average, it is just fair to expect higher results from your employees.

I personally find it funny when other employers are complaining about their staff and admit at the same time that they pay petty salaries. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.