Software Problems

Nemesis

My computer screen jumps up and down like a Mexican jumping bean.

I've installed updated Windows drivers, clean-up the drives, de-fraged, come close to smashing my monitor on the tile floor, cussed Gates, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks.

On second thought, maybe it's not software. Could the SDRAM chip be over heating? or shorting? Just a thought.

I doubt that it is software, unless you have the wrong drivers loaded for the monitor or video card. Here's a few possibilities.

It could be that the "Moire" control on the monitor needs adjusting.

Electronic noise could be coming from either the circuits within the monitor or from the video card, causing it to get the shakes.

Another cause could be electronic interference by something else that is plugged into the same outlet.

Maybe the refresh rate needs adjusting. "Control panel","Display","settings","advanced","monitor","Screen refresh rate".

Unshielded speakers too close to the monitor could also be a problem.

Maybe the refresh rate needs adjusting. "Control panel","Display","settings","advanced","monitor","Screen refresh rate".

agree!

this is where you have to look, might be an over-refresh rates that creates this, as an under-refresh rates make the screen unstable, flashing, blinking in the worst case,

do it quick ... your monitor has one life only :o

francois

Thanks. The refresh rate was set at 60 hertz. What rate should I change it to?

Also anyone know why my puter turns on all by itself?

One last thing, I bought a unlimited Loxinfo Internet access card for use by calling 1222. I was told it can be accessed by any phone in 76 provinces, including BKK. But when I dial up, the line is always busy.

I've emailed Loxinf, but, as usual, no reply?

Why doesn't the 1222 number work?

thanks. :o

Guest IT Manager

From the top, there should be an auto setting on the refresh rate page. Use that. If that doesn't work use 75 and go up from there.

Re the 1222 card, there are limits to how many people can dial one circuit in a phone system. 1222 is free ergo evreyone uses it, later ones too bad. Usually if you set your modem to continue attempting from 3 every minute to 20 every 15 seconds, you will get on.

Why don't you use a normal loxley dial up number. Dno't have the list here but go to www.loxinfo.co.th and you will find a link to "access numbers".

Hope it helps.

Why doesn't the 1222 number work?

hi'

are you sure that you have a TOT line?

if you have a TT&T line, some numbers simply cannot have access to 1222 ...

check this :o

so, if you cannot acces the 1222, use a dial-up number as IT suggested :D

you should give a try ti Ji-Net ... 88hrs for a little more than 500baths B)

My computer screen jumps up and down like a Mexican jumping bean.

I've installed updated Windows drivers, clean-up the drives, de-fraged, come close to smashing my monitor on the tile floor, cussed Gates, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks.

On second thought, maybe it's not software. Could the SDRAM chip be over heating? or shorting? Just a thought.

Are you having your mobile phone near your monitor, that can disturb the screen.

Thanks to those who replied.

Here is what I found out as feedback.

The screen jumping has stopped, for now. But it has done this before. I downloaded new graphics driver update from MS.

I don't have the mobile phone near the monitor. I changed the setting to 75.

I tried the other loxinfo access numbers. Mai dai.

I was told I had a TOT line. I don't. that is why it wouldn't ring. 400 baht bye bye.

How good is JiNet's service? Some of those ISPs are slow and/or disconnect every few minutes.

One more thing. 95% of the time the puter works great. But every once in a while while online, it seems a gremlin invades and starts to run through everything, like making calculations for a space launch. What's that all about? Things slow down to a crawl, puter disconnects, or I lose web sites, and the ###### thing won't stop. I have to reboot and start all over. I cleaned up drive C and things are ok.

Anyone else have that prob, or ideas?

Drives me crazier.

As a thank you some of you might like www.refdesk.com.

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/ is fairly good too.

do you run any Antivirus software? or Firewall?

what temperature has your motherboard and CPU? and how is the fans going? they dirty , how old is the computer and the components

If your computer start by it self, is it on a spesific time of the day? like in the morning? Its possible to disable or able that in the BIOS.

What OS did you say U have?

video adapter (screen card) drivers update helpt, so there you are.

Do not press the freshrate to high (more than it can go, read about that online or so.) But higher refreshrate, less u notice. Mine is above 100, but my system and hardware can do that, I would NOT recoment that you try.. ;-)

anything else? , mail me if you want answer quickly.

thomas :o

One last thing, I bought a unlimited Loxinfo Internet access card for use by calling 1222. I was told it can be accessed by any phone in 76 provinces, including BKK. But when I dial up, the line is always busy.

I have TOT, but is always busy the same. Only in the morning I can get the connection with 1222.

A friend of mine has a TTT&T unlimited card and he says works well. I think works also with TOT number, because he told me the connection number (sorry I don't remember), I tried from the phone and I heard the modem sound.

I have no problem with the local number both Loxinfo and Ji-net, but I stay in Phuket. You are disconnected after a few minutes idle, as long as you are surfing you are not disconnected.

• 3 weeks later...

:o:D

Helpppppp!

After doing everything recommended above, and then some, my Mexican screen jumping is back, with a vengeance.

I run Windows XP, 128 SDRAM, Mozilla Browser.

I have run several different virus from different sources, nothing.

I have udated drivers. Nothing

I have tweaked screen resolutions., Nothing.

I have turned the puter off to cool it down. Same problems comes back upon start up.

I have eliminated unwanted programs in Run feature.

I have threaten the ###### thing with the sledge hammer.

I have checked other tech forums, and it seems when I do, the screens jumps in more in anticipation that I may find the solution. But while in those forums I find no one with a similar problem. And the screen is jumping so much I can't post a question.

Any more ideas?

Borrow a monitor from a friend (eliminate the obvious). If that is ok throw yours away. If it's the same...borrow your friends video card. Keep going until you isolate the problem or run out of HW to replace (For things like mother boards memory etc use the friends computer and put your stuff in it)...then it must be software.

As someone very famous once said....

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be Microsoft's fault!".

I was just kiddin' I'll find someone, but you are right, I think my monitor is dying.

I am having a lot of problems with my computer tho. and haven't really found anyone who knows how to fix it. I've been having to work it out on my own, which I guess in the long run is better, but frustrating. I'm working with Mozilla currently, which is a great browser, but I'm having many problems with plugins. And the instructions I have found on how to fix the problems are written for those who know much more than I do and assume too many things. I need step one, step two, etc. Most of the instructions "if you are having this problem, you need this.....blah, blah blah, but then don't say how to make it work.

:o

I was just kiddin'  I'll find someone, but you are right, I think my monitor is dying.

I am having a lot of problems with my computer tho. and haven't really found anyone who knows how to fix it. I've been having to work it out on my own, which I guess in the long run is better, but frustrating. I'm working with Mozilla currently, which is a great browser, but I'm having many problems with plugins. And the instructions I have found on how to fix the problems are written for those who know much more than I do and assume too many things. I need step one, step two, etc. Most of the instructions "if you are having this problem, you need this.....blah, blah blah, but then don't say how to make it work.

:D

I personally use OPERA. It's free and has built in E-mail, pop-up stopper, mutiple page browsing etc but isn't as flakey as Mozilla.

If you are having difficulties specifically with Mozilla, start a new thread with your problem and I'm sure someone will come to your aid. There are some very technically minded people on the forum that will handhold you through. :o