True Ip Address

Highwayman

I use the basic True ADSL home package, 256/128.

Recently l noticed that my IP address had changed from 2## to 6# etc.

There are lots of programs that can give you information about IP addresses, l use one called Win32Whois

Anyway l ran my new IP through Win32Whois and l have to say l was surprised at some of the information l saw displayed.

I was wondering if anyone else using True has checked the information available about their own IP adress? If you haven't done so recently take a look, l'd be interested in your reaction.

I use the same package as you, checked my IP address (58.10.XXX.XXX), it belongs to TRUENET, from Thailand, dealing with ADSL Broadband.

The address is True's address at Fortune Tower.

Everything normal...

Did you want to make some advertising for Win32Whois software ? :o

One of my biggest pet peeves is with the casual and frequent practice of throwing DNS registry information this way and that. Pages and pages of irrelevant data is cut and pasted, I guess to show that the person has some knowledge of the net. Looking for a hacker? Quote the registry. Slow server? Quote the registry. Bad content? Quote the registry. Bad hair day? Quote the registry. And on and on and on.

The DNS registry information has some information that is relevant in some cases, but usually it just shows you what you already know. Even a reverse DNS lookup would give you more information. You can use some of the registry information to find more information, but quoting it word for word or relying solely on it to find out something about a particular IP is ridiculous.

I'm not targeting Higwayman, since at least he didnt' cut-n-paste his info like so many others. I'm just saying that the DNS registry isn't the one-stop oracle that so many people think it is. So please folks, don't get into the habit.

What surprised me was this:

When l checked my IP address the information provided included my name.

I have never seen that before when checking what someone else sees when they query my IP address.

Usually l see a list of data, mostly meaningless like Firefoxx says, info which includes Fortune Town, Ratchadaphisek Road, Din Daeng as my location. I'm sure that would be the same for many True customers in Bangkok. In a city of millions no-one is going to know who l am from that.

However if you have an unusual name and it's available at the top of the page to anyone in a position to see your IP is that normal? I've never seen that before, l'm just a home internet user, not someone with a website or anything like that. If everyone else sees that sort of info on display and isn't concerned about it then fine, l'll go with the flow but it's the first time l've ever come across it.

Yeti, yes l'd love to but unfortunately l don't think that's going to happen. :o

What surprised me was this:

When l checked my IP address the information provided included my name.

I have never seen that before when checking what someone else sees when they query my IP address.

The IP allocated by True changes every 24 hours, and the DNS information doesn't include anything personal about my computer !

Edited by yeti

Like others have said, you probably provided your name in some other context, like giving it in registration or some other program. The program then put that information there. IPs of ISPs as a rule don't contain specific information for each individual IP, only the information of the owner of all the IPs in the IP pool.

I suspect this Win32whois is picking up the computer name locally rather than from the WWW as do not seem to see any detailed information for ip other than the one I am currently using and do not get using a web search program. But Highwayman is right that the first items listed in your computer name when you do an ip search using that program for the ip you are using.

Lopburi, you get the gold star. :o

The computer l'm using now is an old one from back home that l've got going again recently. WinXP was loaded for me by the computer shop when they built it and l've never had to do a reinstall. Checking the name and it is written in the same style as what l'm seeing when l do an IP lookup, which is slightly different to how l would have written it if l had set it up myself.

What really had me wondering was why this hadn't shown up before with my earlier IP address and l think l've discovered the answer. A couple of days ago l installed a small program to tweak the task bar. To enable one adjustment it required a change to two settings in the services list. I'm 99% sure that this is the reason for my computer name i.e. my own name now showing up in whois.

Lopburi, l think you're correct about the unique number/string with WinXP as that is how my other PC is named in many files.

I was starting to think that maybe True were doing something funny but they wouldn't do that now, would they?

At least l learnt a bit about proxies today. Who knows when that might come in handy. :D

Thanks for everyones help.