Swedish Murderer Avoided Death Penalty In Thailand

webfact

Swedish Murderer Avoided Death Penalty

46-year-old Swede Kenneth Eriksson is back in Sweden after serving five years of imprisonment on a murder charge in Thailand.

Kenneth Eriksson was in 2005 convicted of manslaughter in the killing of a female prostitute in his Pattaya hotel room and was sentenced to five years in prison.

Following the deadly assault, Eriksson then hid the woman’s body in a trunk which he then dragged out of the hotel and dumped in a field not far from the hotel.

He then checked out, but hotel security cameras had already captured images of him taking the victim out of the building.

Police in Thailand launched a manhunt for Eriksson, who eventually confessed and was arrested.

At one point the Swede faced the death penalty, as prosecutors appealed the ruling of manslaughter but the court ruled in favour of Kenneth Eriksson.

And now, five years later, he has returned to Sweden were his father, Lennart Erikkson met with him today.

“He has lost weight, that's for sure. I don’t know about his mental state of mind – he keeps that to himself,” the father said to Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, adding that Kenneth Eriksson now hides in a secret location laying low for a while.

Source: scandasia.com

SCANDASIA

-- 2010-08-25

footer_n.gif

Before discussion begins I would like to remind all our members of this important rule and if the rule is breached the thread will be closed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

5 Years for killing someone & attempting to cover it up then slipping back into your own cozy little Country ?????????

<deleted> disgusting, Thailand & Sweden should be ashamed of theirselves..

An absolute disgrace for all concerned. Shame.

Rick

5 Years for killing someone & attempting to cover it up then slipping back into your own cozy little Country ?????????

While I agree, at least we all know that 5 years in a Thai jail was not easy.

Swedish Murderer Avoided Death Penalty

46-year-old Swede Kenneth Eriksson

At the time of his arrest:

1535806522.jpg

Caught on hotel surveillance camera dragging the heavy suitcase, containing the body of his victim, out of the hotel:

n132605.jpg

A subsequent interview with him while in prison:

Can someone translate :rolleyes:

Shiiit he got a long sentence there 5 years for killing her the Aussie out of Chiang Mai got 2 years 9 months for exection shooting of an American chap he is also out and living happily in Australia after serving 2 years.

So Lee Aldhouse should stop hiding and give himself up the quicker he does that he should be back in Blighty in no time living it up in Birmingham based on the 2 sentences above.

I guess as long as one kills an Isan prostitute, It's just not that bad.

I believe the Englishman who killed his GF in front of many witnesses on Soi Honey Inn in Pattaya five years ago is still walking the streets...paid 2 million Baht "bail" and as far as I know, it never went to trial. The victim's sister ended up with the bar he had bought her.

this video is nearly 7 minutes long. It is in swedish of course. I am swedish but it is too much work to translate it all. In short. This guy

says that if he plead guilty he will have a life-sentence. If he plead not guilty and trail says otherwise he risks to face deathpenalty.

Further on he says that 3 miljon baht would set him free immediately because the legal system will prevent any witness to show up at

the hearing and he will automaticly be set free.

if he pays 1 miljon baht he has to serve 2 years and than be set free.

he says that fighting the system here in Thailand is a risky business and you most probably will be killed in a heartbeat. besides that in

my opinion he do not show any regret whatsoever, he complain only over his own situatiion and how things turned out for himself. he claim

that the lady did die more or less on her own very instantly, and it was nothing he could do about it...

Oh.. maybe besides hide her in a sack and drag her out of the hotell and dump her on a nearby field (my comment) As a countrymen to this

guy.... I dont know.... something is wrong with him, he is not 100% OK in my eyes.

I do not want to label him, that is up to you to do, but when someone shows sign of: not recognice the reality, not show any empathy and can

talk talk talk talk very convincing.. than he must be an....

Glegolo

In the interview he stated that he expected to be sentenced to either death or life in prison since he pleaded not guilty but was convicted. Even the documents from the embassy stated that if someone pleads not guilty and is convicted, a time period isnt placed on the verdict.

He also states taht if he knew what he knows now, before he went to the police, he wouldnt ever had gone in the first place. It would have been better if he had taken his own life.

Then he continues to talk about the corrupt legal system, saying if he had 3m THB he would have gone home the very next day after the interview but since he didnt, he had to take what he got. He went over and over claiming his inocense.

Thats in short what was said in it.

In the interview he stated that he expected to be sentenced to either death or life in prison since he pleaded not guilty but was convicted. Even the documents from the embassy stated that if someone pleads not guilty and is convicted, a time period isnt placed on the verdict.

He also states taht if he knew what he knows now, before he went to the police, he wouldnt ever had gone in the first place. It would have been better if he had taken his own life.

Then he continues to talk about the corrupt legal system, saying if he had 3m THB he would have gone home the very next day after the interview but since he didnt, he had to take what he got. He went over and over claiming his inocense.

Thats in short what was said in it.

With this interview Kenneth E. will not get much sympathy either in Sweden or Thailand. I guess that's why his father said he's laying low for a while.

According to an article in the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet he claimed he defended himself from the woman he murdered.

She came charging at him with a piece of glass, in the youtube video he is stating a conflicting version that the woman died suddenly and not saying one word about him strangeling her in the shower.

Whatever happened, this is surely a tragic story.

5 years is not enough for the crime of murder.

Manslaughter, not murder.

The hangmans noose would be much fairer.

For manslaughter.... that's a bit harsh.

5 years is about right for a western country too, possibly a bit more, but with the added harshness of the Thai prison system, 5 years in a Thai prison is probably about, if not a little over, what a western court would have sentenced him to.

Edited by thomo

Truly quite incredable.. 5 years ! ahiuld have been 95 years

For manslaughter?

Those crying for more than the time given should be ashamed of themselves.

He was given an average sentence for the crime, by western standards.

Just researching manslaughter sentences on the net, in an american case:

Judge sentences Iraq veteran to rehab instead of jail for manslaughter

In the UK, this Swede was sentenced to one day for manslaughter, after stabbing a man to death.

Sabina Eriksson was arrested after walking in front of traffic on the M6 and assaulting a police officer. She was placed before the Stoke on Trents City Magistrates Court at Fenton, and sentenced to one days imprisonment, the equivalent of which had already been time spent in custody.

Tragically he paid for this kindness with his life when she fatally stabbed him the following day. She fled the scene and then injured herself by striking herself on the head with a hammer, and jumping from a bridge above the A50, breaking her ankles and fracturing her skull.

So I'm not sure how ye think that his 5 years served should have been multiplied by 20!

Edited by thomo

Before discussion begins I would like to remind all our members of this important rule and if the rule is breached the thread will be closed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

Didn't take long to break rule #15. But why's Sweden got to feel ashamed of "theirselves".

Shiiit he got a long sentence there 5 years for killing her the Aussie out of Chiang Mai got 2 years 9 months for exection shooting of an American chap he is also out and living happily in Australia after serving 2 years.

Your right. 5 years is a long time for LOS. Life is very cheap here. An English guy I knew used to brag about contract killing another farang in Chang Mai and that after 6mo's secured enough money to pay off the warden. Interesting the amounts he mentioned he had to pay are the same as this guy and other posters have mentioned.

In the UK, this Swede was sentenced to one day for manslaughter, after stabbing a man to death.

Sabina Eriksson was arrested after walking in front of traffic on the M6 and assaulting a police officer. She was placed before the Stoke on Trents City Magistrates Court at Fenton, and sentenced to one days imprisonment, the equivalent of which had already been time spent in custody.

Tragically he paid for this kindness with his life when she fatally stabbed him the following day. She fled the scene and then injured herself by striking herself on the head with a hammer, and jumping from a bridge above the A50, breaking her ankles and fracturing her skull.

So I'm not sure how ye think that his 5 years served should have been multiplied by 20!

Unless there is more to the story than quoted, the one day doesn't seem to be for the manslaugther but for "walking in front of traffic on the M6 and assaulting a police officer". The story says nothing about her sentence for the manslaughter.

Sophon

Yes, you are correct.

I believe she was sentenced to 4 1/2 yrs, likely to be released after just over 2. For stabbing to death a good Samaritan.

Seems like this Thai court was quite harsh on the defendant, compared to western legal systems.

I guess as long as one kills an Isan prostitute, It's just not that bad.

I believe the Englishman who killed his GF in front of many witnesses on Soi Honey Inn in Pattaya five years ago is still walking the streets...paid 2 million Baht "bail" and as far as I know, it never went to trial. The victim's sister ended up with the bar he had bought her.

Perhaps some "powers that be" believe it is better to have "cash in pocket" and culprit not in jail ,than "in jail" no cash. It probably works the other way around, non Issan prostitute vice a versa. Corruption and greed, not only Thailands worst enemy, but mankinds worst enemy.