Dvd Player Advice... Samsung Or Philips?

ihightower

Hi.. I have two choices to get a DVD Player from Credit Card Rewards..

Please recommend which one of the two is best for those Pantip Movie CDs and also internet download Torrent files.. xvid.. divx.. etc.. played on USB Flashdrive?

Thank you in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choice 1 - Samsung DVD Player DVD-C450 (23500 pts - equivalent to THB2,140)

Specifications: http://www.samsung.c...b=specification

samsung_dvd-c450_1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choice 2 - Philips DVD Player DVP3520K (19800 pts - equivalent to THB1,800)

Specifications: http://www.mea.phili...vp3520k_98/prd/

dvp3520k_98_rtf_.jpg

Further Note:

Please also advise if it would be better to go for those cheaper models instead... (from Tesco and still achieve all the benefits of the Samsung player..)

I have seen a few of those in Tesco... like Alpha DVD Player THB650... (which will only utilize about 7200 points)... are they any good.. and comparable?.. one added advantage is that the dvd player can then take all the abuse from my kids' hard use...

If that's the case.. I may just get a voucher from the Rewards.. and get those players instead..

I can get THB500 vouchers (at 5500 points) for Tesco, Robinson, Mall, Paragon, Emporium, Zen, Central, Home Pro.

Any recommendation for dvd players in Tesco..... or go with above Samsung..?

Please advise the best choice out there...

Edited by ihightower

• 3 weeks later...

Further Note:

Please also advise if it would be better to go for those cheaper models instead... (from Tesco and still achieve all the benefits of the Samsung player..)

I have seen a few of those in Tesco... like Alpha DVD Player THB650... (which will only utilize about 7200 points)... are they any good.. and comparable?.. one added advantage is that the dvd player can then take all the abuse from my kids' hard use...

If that's the case.. I may just get a voucher from the Rewards.. and get those players instead..

I can get THB500 vouchers (at 5500 points) for Tesco, Robinson, Mall, Paragon, Emporium, Zen, Central, Home Pro.

Any recommendation for dvd players in Tesco..... or go with above Samsung..?

Please advise the best choice out there...

In my experience cheap 'Tesco' dvd players cannot decode the mpeg 4 and the like movies smoothly sometimes even stopping with a black screen while it decodes the next bit. I saw a Soken NE 271 in Power Buy Central Pattaya last week genuinely discounted from about 2000thb to 1600thb thats as low as I would go, I am more and more thinking I should find a proper brand, such as Phillips, Samsung, Pioneer, LG, for around 2200thb and stick with it.

Edited by astral

If you already have a Samsung TV (?) there will be the advantage of one integrated remote.

Samsung has service centres in LOS, with "other" brands you will be at the mercy

of Tesco, if something goes wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything I've ever bought w/ the Philips name has turned out to be junk. In reviews of various products, Philips usually ranks low.

Cheap players are cheap for a reason. Notably the firmware is primitive. For example, it can't remember where you left off watching a particular DVD. I'll never buy one of those again.

I've had two Pioneer DVD players for a couple of years and they've been absolutely great.

i have a pretty decent samsung home theater system and quite happy with it. one big advantage (and selling point for me) was that i already have a samsung digital camera and my gf has a samsung cellphone/camera and each of these devices can communicate with each other making for relatively simple digital photo viewing on the big screen tv, sharing back and forth etc.

i also have several of those tesco 600 baht specials that play most file types in addition to having USB. i think they are great for the kids rooms so i can easily play a cartoon or music i've downloaded for them but they aren't any good for much else.