90 Days Reporting

I have a company in Phuket and my manager's sister takes care of my immigration matters. Now she want to charge me 4,000 THB for the 90 days reporting to the immigration. Is she trying to take me for a ride? She says the normal "price" from the immigration is 5,000 THB??? I thought it was free!

Thanks for any responses!

Are you over the 90 days? If so, the full fine for reporting late might be 5,000 baht and it might also be possible for it to be "discounted" as she suggests.

But if you within the 90 days of course it is free and I would say your manager's sister needs sorting. :o

Are you over the 90 days?  If so, the full fine for reporting late might be 5,000 baht and it might also be possible for it to be "discounted" as she suggests.

But if you within the 90 days of course it is free and I would say your manager's sister needs sorting. :o

Possible but have not heard of anyone having been fined more than 2,000 baht even since the max has been introduced. This is the current policy according to immigration web site:

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

So if there are plans to arrest Hotshot perhaps she is right. :D

I have a company in Phuket and my manager's sister takes care of my immigration matters. Now she want to charge me 4,000 THB for the 90 days reporting to the immigration. Is she trying to take me for a ride? She says the normal "price" from the immigration is 5,000 THB??? I thought it was free!

Thanks for any responses!

I would ask your manager first - not the sister - to clarify what the 4,000 is for. Maybe he thinks the overstay fine is the normal cost.... maybe he's trying to scam you. If he doesn't know, ask the sister. Depending on the responses, you will learn something about both of them. Maybe it's time for new staff. TIT :o

Thanks for the responses.....My manager tells me that the Immigration charges me 5,000 THB and his sister discount me at only 4,000 THB due to her "contacts"...The past 6 months I have been on 30 days visa and 30 days work permit....now I got a 6 months visa and 6 months work permit...expire 22nd November...so I am definitely not on "overstay".....unless I should have reported every 90 days during my 6 months 30 days visa? Renewed monthly by the Immigration!?

But seems I must consider my managers position in my company! :o

Edited by hotshot

Have you been leaving Thailand every 30 days? If so there is no requirement for 90 day reporting as each TM.6 arrival card starts a new cycle.

What is a six month visa? Do you mean you received a two entry visa from a Consulate that is valid for six months? In that case first entry would be 90 days and you would be required to leave country so no report required.

Or have you been granted a six month extension of stay by immigration? Have never heard of it but that means nothing. :o If so and it does not require an exit of Thailand you would have been required to report your address after 90 days in Thailand.

Have you been leaving Thailand every 30 days?  If so there is no requirement for 90 day reporting as each TM.6 arrival card starts a new cycle.

What is a six month visa?  Do you mean you received a two entry visa from a Consulate that is valid for six months?  In that case first entry would be 90 days and you would be required to leave country so no report required.

Or have you been granted a six month extension of stay by immigration?  Have never heard of it but that means nothing. :D   If so and it does not require an exit of Thailand you would have been required to report your address after 90 days in Thailand.

I have been staying in Thailand without leaving the country. I went to Penang and got a 3 months non immigrant B visa. After 3 months the immigration in Phuket renewed it for 30 days. I actually applied for a 1 eyar visa, but they wanted to make sure I paid my tax. So they renewed it every 30 days untill they gave me a 6 months visa. For each 30 days renewal I paid 750 Baht.

I HAVE NOW FIRED MY MANAGER!!!

Reason is that I went to the immigration with my passport and asked for advice.

They filed a 90 days report and asked me to come back 90 days later. NO FEE!

I asked the immigration officer how much to pay, and he showed me 2 fingers. I thought he ment 2,000 Baht. So I said no....and showed him 1 finger. He said OK, and I gave him 1,000 Baht. He looked at me as if I was stupid (maybe I am :D ) and said 100 Baht.

WOW....I was surpriced, so I tipped him 600 Baht :D

Now I fired my manager, and he require a 3 months salary as severance pay. Adn of course I deny to pay him anything! So now he threaten me with the Labor Office....

Hope the Labor Office accept my explanation and doesn't fine me! :o

But fortunately I asked my manager to write down his explanation to me before I fired him. So I have evidence that he tried to take me for a ride. Should be reason enough to fire him without compensation!

I mean, the Labour Protection Law says that only an INNOCENT employee can require a severance pay. And my manager is for sure not innocent!

Will keep you posted!

And thanks for all your comments! :D

Edited by hotshot

Just outta curiosity, how long were you sending the managers sister to the immigration office and how much do you think you paid all up? Let us know what he said when you told him about this also. I mean, what reason did he give?

1. Get a Lawyer to send the ex-employee reason for Dismissal being "Misconduct" as they were attempting to gain "Advantage by deception" and you are taking the matter up with the police.

2. Go to the police and file a complaint.

I did my 90 day reporting last week as Suan Phlu, no gifts, nothing. FFill out the form and take a number.

1. Get a Lawyer to send the ex-employee reason for Dismissal being "Misconduct" as they were attempting to gain "Advantage by deception" and you are taking the matter up with the police.

2. Go to the police and file a complaint.

i agree. if you don't do it, you will have to pay him his 3 months. the labour courts almost everytime decides in favour of the employee (not only thai employees). if you do not have strong evidence or fired him the incorrect way, you will loose the case.

Just outta curiosity, how long were you sending the managers sister to the immigration office and how much do you think you paid all up? Let us know what he said when you told him about this also. I mean, what reason did he give?

Appx. 5 times and each time he charges me 750 Baht. Told me it was the immigration fee for renewing my visa. Also told me he paid them money under the table......but I actually also the very first time paid 10,000 Baht...for the 1 eyar visa...even though I only got 30 days....30 days....in 5 months. Finally I got 6 months, and the fee was 1,500 Bht....but I enver got any receipts..."money undetr the table has no receipts" was his reply to me when I asked for it, he he! :o So far I have paid around 20,000 Baht for my "1 year" visa including the 4,000 Baht for the 90-days reporting..... :D

Yep.....I already contacted my lawyer last week......and the letter is on its way to my ex-manager! Will file a complaint at the police station tomorrow......better be safe than sorry.....it's not a question about money for me....I can afford to pay him 3 months salary, but it's the ethics! If I don't pay him the 3 months salary the Labour Department can fine me up to 200,000 Baht. Well.....I am considering paying the fine.........and f*** up with my ex-manager! :o

Good for you and hope this case concludes to your satisfaction!

Just like to add that although Thailand is reputed to be a country with a great deal of corruption, don't believe people (like your former manager) who give you the impression there is a need for lots of "under the counter" payments with lower government officials.

In most govt. depts. (certainly in immigration and labor office) if you are doing things by the book then they will be too. The book might involve lots of annoying archaic bureaucracy etc. but that's another matter! Receipts are always provided. In my experience with both immigration and the labor (work permit) office, I have never encountered even a hint of the need for extra payments.

The real corruption in Thailand is towards the top end with all the collusion on contracts, concessions etc. But the vast majority of lower government officials like we deal with are actually doing an honest and generally satisfactory job.

:o