ไม่น้อยกว่ากัน

DavidHouston

From Ajarn Nithi Eewsriwong in Matichon:

ในยุคสมัยที่รัฐมีความสามารถในการจ้องมองและเห็นประชาชนแต่ละคนได้มากขึ้น ประชาชนก็ต้องมีความสามารถไม่น้อยไปกว่ากันที่จะจ้องมองและเห็นรัฐได้ไม่น้อยกว่ากันบ้าง

Question, does "ไม่น้อยกว่ากัน" at the end of the sentence seems redundant of "ไม่น้อยไปกว่ากัน" at the beginning of the second clause. Do both of these two phrases need to be in this sentence or will one suffice? And, is there a difference in meaning between between the two with the addition of the word "ไป"?

I would render this sentence as follows:

"In this age when the government has an increasing capacity to spy on each of its people, the people must have no less of a right to watch and see the workings of its government."

Any alternative translations or corrections? Thanks.

ในยุคสมัยที่รัฐมีความสามารถในการจ้องมองและเห็นประชาชนแต่ละคนได้มากขึ้น ประชาชนก็ต้องมีความสามารถไม่น้อยไปกว่ากันที่จะจ้องมองและเห็นรัฐได้ไม่น้อยกว่ากันบ้าง

My rendering would be, "In an age where the state has an increased capacity to watch over and observe individuals, the people must not have too little of an ability to watch over and observe the state in somewhat equal measure."

A typical example of the wishy-washiness and tempered rhetoric that dominates public statements of opinion by people who are quite comfortable with their position in society and don't wish to be seen as overt sh!t-disturbers.

We need a native speaker but I would suggest the repeat of the phrase is only for emphasis, your translation seems fine David, if we wanted to stress perhaps we could say,' the people must have no less of a right to watch over and indeed see the government (at work) in equal measure'.

• 4 weeks later...