Tropical Storm Mindulle.

mellofello

TV "Chiang Rai province have been damaged by flash floods from Doi Nang Kaew and Lao River. Reportedly, more than 500 homes have also been damaged by water breaching the river banks; hundreds and hundreds of rai of agricultural land have been inundated."

I just drove through the center of town at 2:00-2:20pm from Macro to the old CM Highway 1211. There are many streets flooded and passable only with a high center vehicle. The vocational school is swamped with hundreds of motorbike engines under water. Best be very careful with any plans or children traveling home in this one!

Chiang Rai from the Old Dutch 25/08/2010.

If you'd wanted a really interesting Pix you might have caught Lman wading down the middle of this road at 3pm heading for my car parked on raised ground at the back of the Night Bazarre. Had to go to Old Airport Road via The Fruit Market, then got stuck in the flood twice near Chiang Rai Hospital and Wat Jetyot.

I think I saw on CNN that Tropical Storm Mondulle is still over Vietnam so maybe we are in for a further deluge.

Chiang Rai from the Old Dutch 25/08/2010.

Thanks for the update.

I read that their was storms in CR & CM

One of my friends said she wished it would stop raining.

She works next to Mai Ping River.

So will be interesting if they get flooded.

Took these photos around 3 pm near Suan Tung (Thanalai Road). Water level would have remained high much longer had this kind Tessaban Cops not waded in the water to clear trash blocking the drain. Thank you kind cops...

post-21351-030634800 1282734342_thumb.jp

post-21351-009715400 1282734353_thumb.jp

post-21351-085225400 1282734364_thumb.jp

post-21351-045065700 1282734376_thumb.jp

post-21351-062153400 1282734389_thumb.jp

post-21351-088953100 1282734404_thumb.jp

post-21351-015342100 1282735856_thumb.jp

Edited by toybits
  • Like 1

Interesting thread guys, my friend in MHS says the weather is fine there right now & in Cnx city not much rain at all where I live. If you look at this Thai weather sat image

I'd say your rain is not from Mindulle(?), but a depression in the top North. Mindulle seems to have broken up in the last few hours even. But my reading of it all could be totally wrong.

Edited by davidgtr

Yep, Mindulle is still on it's way, I fear that was no more than a preemptive strike.

Mindulle has vanished and gone. Not a trace from it since it was over Vietnam yesterday. Nothing to do with the flooding in Chiang Rai.

The flooding likely comes from excessive rains from up north in Laos, Burma and China.

LaoPo

Yep, Mindulle is still on it's way, I fear that was no more than a preemptive strike.

Mindulle has vanished and gone. Not a trace from it since it was over Vietnam yesterday. Nothing to do with the flooding in Chiang Rai.

The flooding likely comes from excessive rains from up north in Laos, Burma and China.

LaoPo

The flooding in Chiang Rai came from more than 100 mm of rain that fell down in Chiang Rai City!!

Date Temperature Dewpoint Relative Humidity Pressure Wind Visibility Rainfall (3 hour) Cloud

Aug 25, 10 19:00 23.9 23.2 96 1004.77 calm 8.00 0.9 Overcast Sky

Aug 25, 10 16:00 24.0 23.3 96 1004.75 calm 3.00 100.1 Overcast Sky

Aug 25, 10 13:00 24.5 23.8 96 1005.01 calm 8.00 3.5 Overcast Sky

Aug 25, 10 10:00 26.0 24.6 92 1005.82 calm 8.00 0.5 Overcast Sky

I am quite sure that came from northern Vietnam over Laos and to Chiang Rai. I have been following it on the weather radar in Chiang Rai and Sakon Nakhon the last couple of days.

:blink::huh::o

Scea and toybits,

Thanks for the great photo's fella's.

Regards

Will

Yes, my compliments, nice pictures and thanks for sharing!

It is surprising to see how good the new drainage system of Chiang Rai works.

No boats necessary anymore in Wang Come 555! After the rain stops it takes less

than half an hour and the water is gone.

I thinks the deepest point of town is still the street behind the regional hospital,

the one that connects San Kong Luang with the Paholyothin. Avoid this road under these

conditions unless you are driving a tractor. Though in that case you might be busy for

even a longer time to pull stranded cars 'afloat' again.

Also the Paholyothin itself, not only the part through the low part of the Wang Come

area but also the one off the Little Duck is not always the safest to take with this

kind of weather.

Limbo :yohan:

Just got back from CR. The town seemed back to normal. However, between Sop Pao and Phaya Mengrai there was water everywhere. The turnoff to Jubby's was blocked and it looked like he may need a boat to get home.

(Posted the same thing in another thread by mistake. Hope Jubby's place is okay.)