Lasik Eye Surgery

TRIPxCORE

Yes, me too.

My Wife just mentioned this to me as she do not enjoy using contacts.

She was telling me that it can be done for less than 50,000 Bht in Bangkok.

If this is correct, I think it is cheap. But I am clueless about this treatment. I mean, is this a permenent solution? Any Risks attached to it? Any Side effects?

http://www.lasikdisaster.com/

Think twice before you let anyone cut the flap off your eye. In the US you pay a bit more for the surgeons insurance. In TH, you have to sign a document that takes any liability away from them. They can make you blind and won't have to pay a cent even if it was a screwup. You will have to pay for any attempts to correct their screwup (even though there is not much to be done if they screw up).

If you decide to do it in TH, do one eye at a time. That way you can still back out if they screw up the first eye.

Oh, almost forgot... Ask the surgeon if any of his relatives had LASIK surgery. And if he wear glasses, ask why he hasn't had it done to himself... :o

I was seriously considering getting my eyes done in the Philippines last year because it was a lot cheaper, however I contacted my Doctor in the U.K. and he said no way, leave it, stick with specs.

He said the treatment weakens the eye and there is no long-term history for this yet. It's rather like getting a bicycle wheel, and cutting every other spoke, you can still ride the bike but the wheel is half as strong.

So if you have eye surgery, and get a bump on the head your eye sort of collapses, if that makes any sense.

If you do go ahead, do just one eye!

An acquaintance of mine at work had it done recently. Stateside, cost about 2 grand US dollars. She's been very happy with it. She did say she got a bit of the "glare" thing at night from bright lights, but she was told it should go away after awhile.

Since it is your eyes, I don't know that saving a grand or so by having it done in SEA is worth the risk.

Jeepz

[Note: That was $2K for both eyes btw, not each]

He said the treatment weakens the eye and there is no long-term history for this yet. It's rather like getting a bicycle wheel, and cutting every other spoke, you can still ride the bike but the wheel is half as strong.

What you are describing is the old RK surgery done with a scalpel. I had that 10 years ago and just recently I started needing reading glasses. Lasik involves lifting the cornea (same as cataract surgery) and using a laser to 'cut' down the bottom of the eye where light hits, changing the focus.

Talk to a doctor at RUTNIN eye hospital in Bkk, on Asoke Rd. 02-258-0442.

Good luck.

I have heard more success stories than disasters... but the ones that don't work out are enough to deter me. No blindness, but I know one fellow who's had to go back 9 times for corrective surgery. One eye is perfect. The other is still astigmatic. Everyone (even the non doctors) can pretty much guess that so much damage has been done to the eye that there is no way it's going to be fixed (much less 20/20). Multiple eye surgeries vs. contact lenses.... I'll go with Bausch and Lomb, thanks.

:o