Tot'S New 6Mb Package For 590 Baht

geoffphuket

Just received my TOT bill today and was surprised to see they've introduced a new package to replace the old 4MB one. Now we can have 6MB for the same price - 590 Baht:

http://www.tot.co.th/index.php?option=com_linkcontent&Itemid=88&categoryid=42&task=detail&detail_id=1067〈=en

Of course, whether we can actually download anything is a different story altogether :rolleyes:, but comments for that can be posted on my other thread!

Edited by geoffphuket

Possibly very good news. Do you know how many other customers will also share the same line ?

Nobody will be sharing my line :lol:

someone using the same allowance of 6mb

bandwidth

Nah, I'm sure aunty TOT wouldn't go and sell me something they couldn't deliver....would they? :lol:

• Like 1

I noticed the new TOT 6Mb plan for 590Baht a few days ago on TOT's web site. I signed up for their 4Mb plan at 590Baht back in March; 4Mb was the fastest to my moobaan...even asked a TOT technician installing a new line in the moobaan a few weeks ago what was now the fastest speed to the moobaan and he said still 4Mb. Probably has something to do with the DSLAM capability in the switching station about 2KM's away.

But my plan is to stop by the TOT Service Center at the local Tesco Lotus and run the question up the flagpole: that is, can I upgrade to 6Mb at no cost? My gut tells me they will probably say no-can-do to my area, or since I haven't completed the one year contract for the 4Mb plan it will cost me a 1000 Baht charge to upgrade which I remember from the 4Mb plan contract fine print if wanting to upgrade during months 4 thru 12 of the contract.

I expect this TOT 6Mb price plan at the same price as their earlier 4Mb price plan is being driven by 3BB offering providing the 5Mb upgrade free to their 4Mb plan. Ain't competition great--Thailand needs a LOT more competition in the internet/satellite TV arenas!!!

Possibly very good news. Do you know how many other customers will also share the same line ?

Assuming you are talking contention/user ratio, it's probably 50 to 1 (max) like most/current TOT plans. Now 50 to 1 don't mean you get one-fiftieth of the package speed, it just means up to 50 other folks could be simultaneously using whatever the maximum bandwidth being made available...and the available bandwidth/capability of the ISP server could easily provide good bandwidth to each user--or, it could load down/slow down your speed. Personally, my 4Mb TOT plan has been doing just fine in reliability and bandwidth/speed.

For those plans from ISP XYZ quoting 10 to 1 or 20 to 1 contention/user ratios (and sometimes it's hard to find out the ratios) these plans usually charge a premium price (a few extra hundred or more baht per month) and call their plan a premier or SME type plan.

Edited by Pib