Stingray Leather Wallets

JimmyTheMook

I often send these home as gifts and people always liked receiving them . Used to be quite durable but the current quality really varies and was told the plastic type outer skin peeled right off some of the wallets.

Anyone with a good resource for some high quality stingray leather goods and not the junk sold at market stalls.

There is a leather goods store at Praha Kanong( spelling man) the last sky train stop before onnut it is on the west side of the road they carry findig wallets and the ones I have bought last forever. The interior wears out before the exterior. They are not cheap about 25 to 30 dollars for a good one.

Probaly any good store who carries Findig wallets would work.

• Like 1

My wife has a friend who sells these wallets along with other leather goods in BKK. We asked about fakes and she said the easiest way to spot a fake is to hold a lighter up to it. The fakes (stingray, crocodile, snake , etc.) will obviously melt as leather doesn't melt. I did this with my stingray wallet.

I have had the same stingray wallet for 4 years now and it has held up well. It is a "King Power". i also sent one to my father (3 years ago) and my brother bought one when he last visited. My father said that it is the best wallet he has ever owned, and my brother has had no complaints either. Quality definitely varies here regardless of what you are buying.

Go into a shop and see if they appreciate you seeing if items melt with a lighter. I'll bet you didn't hold a lighter to your King Power wallet.

I have seen the lighter demonstration done on fake wallets, the hawkers know how long they can hold the lighter there without damaging it. It is part of the scam. I also think that a leather wallet would get damaged too if it had a flame held to it too long. but it wouldn't melt that's true.

Go into a shop and see if they appreciate you seeing if items melt with a lighter. I'll bet you didn't hold a lighter to your King Power wallet.

I have seen the lighter demonstration done on fake wallets, the hawkers know how long they can hold the lighter there without damaging it. It is part of the scam. I also think that a leather wallet would get damaged too if it had a flame held to it too long. but it wouldn't melt that's true.

I did do the lighter test on my KP wallet, AFTER i bought it trusting that it wasn't a fake to begin with, since I paid 1200 baht for it. My father and my brother have done the lighter test as well. No, i don't go around holding a lighter up to other peoples merchandise, but this is one way of telling if it is real or fake.

Like you stated- if it is going for a 1000+baht it is probably real, and obviously if it is practically being given away than it is probably a fake.

I have been selling elephant hair products for the past 2 years (loose hair, rings and bracelets). The number one question I get is "how do you know it is real?" since elephant hair looks and feels almost like plastic. Light a small piece, and it smell like burnt hair. I always put a small piece of hair in with every order, and encourage my customers to do this 'test". I have never had a return, but I also buy direct from the source, and KNOW my product. Being a good consumer is also knowing the product that you are buying before shelling out your hard earned cash.

Edited by mizzi39

Hi Mizzi do you have a brochure?? for the rings and bracelets,always wanted an elephant hair ring.You can PM your number and i will call you.

I did do the lighter test on my KP wallet, AFTER i bought it trusting that it wasn't a fake to begin with, since I paid 1200 baht for it. My father and my brother have done the lighter test as well. No, i don't go around holding a lighter up to other peoples merchandise, but this is one way of telling if it is real or fake.

Like you stated- if it is going for a 1000+baht it is probably real, and obviously if it is practically being given away than it is probably a fake.

I have been selling elephant hair products for the past 2 years (loose hair, rings and bracelets). The number one question I get is "how do you know it is real?" since elephant hair looks and feels almost like plastic. Light a small piece, and it smell like burnt hair. I always put a small piece of hair in with every order, and encourage my customers to do this 'test". I have never had a return, but I also buy direct from the source, and KNOW my product. Being a good consumer is also knowing the product that you are buying before shelling out your hard earned cash.

There is so much fake stingray out there I just gave up on it as something to bring back. If you are paying more than a thousand baht, chances are it is not fake.

LOL, or you're being taken for a royal ride. I don't think the price has much with to do with it.

You'd be an easy sell. All they need to do is up the price and you think it's real.

Edited by tropo

• 1 year later...