Briton Arrested In Thailand Over Red Shirts Mass Protests

webfact

Why does most of the ones involved in this tend to look like the same guys you meet outside a football-match, screaming and fighting with fans from the other team?

These are NOT people with an ideological goal, they just like to be a part of something.

I agree with you. This is just a typical British chav who loves nothing more than a good bit of violence. There are too many of them in Thailand.

And I think the ones who have been here for sometime consider themselves "above the law"...especially as you can buy your way out of just about anything. This lack of enforcement of the laws leads to people taking chances they would not take if they were in other countries...at least other countries where laws are enforced. :rolleyes:

Dumb thing for a guy his age to do...and I do believe he is regretting it right now....

what I don't understand is how westerners can be arrested for taking part in the rallies,,, but the thai people were just sent home on a bus. what about all the other people burning truck wheels and buildings and causing disruption? they were all given a free ride home after ruining bangkok for 2 months.

The good old double standard.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I read the article I thought the guy poured petrol on a building or something. If that was him in the video, he just put a tire on a burning heap.

Give him the same penalty as those who participated at the same level.

TheWalkingMan

• Like 1

a tall farang in a green shirt waving a red flag is right behind the tire man.

A court in northern Chiang Mai province approved arrest warrants for the pair on May 28 for allegedly trying to burn down a town hall, participating in an illegal rally and inciting unrest,"

Other Red Shirt activity in Chiang Mai on the day in question, May 19, included burning fire trucks and destruction of municipal CCTV cameras.

A Caucasian man, not altogether dissimilar to the defendant in appearance, is shown at 00:05 of the video adding a tire to fuel an already existing fire on the streets of Chiang Mai:

what I don't understand is how westerners can be arrested for taking part in the rallies,,, but the thai people were just sent home on a bus. what about all the other people burning truck wheels and buildings and causing disruption? they were all given a free ride home after ruining bangkok for 2 months.

The good old double standard.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I read the article I thought the guy poured petrol on a building or something. If that was him in the video, he just put a tire on a burning heap.

Give him the same penalty as those who participated at the same level.

TheWalkingMan

With respect TWM, Farangs are, as has been mentioned many a time on TV, merely guests in Thailand. As such, this fool's behaviour is totally inappropriate - maybe THAT deserves a more severe punishment (?)

It would be very nice if the UK authorities cracked down on these "rent a thug" hooligans who just need an EXCUSE to be violent - it's usually football, this time it's someone else's politics!

I find myself apologising for (some) of my fellow Brits when I'm in Thailand so as far as I'm concerned, he got what's coming to him!

Once again:

In the video I posted yesterday on the tire burning, I'm not sure that's even him, but more importantly, even if it was him, that's not all he did. The BP article yesterday cited CCTV footage of him AND his wife involved in attempts to commit arson in Chiang Mai. It does not mention the youtube video I posted, which again, may or may not be him, as the evidence against him. Additionally, the youtube video does not show the arson attempt at city hall, which is the location they are being charged with.

and

Depending on the level of arson and the couple's involvement with it, I wouldn't agree to simply deport him, either. Arson is a serious offense and justifiably has harsh penalties associated with it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What is it with this approximate age group?

Seems it is some sort of mid age crisis need to be

a youthful protester like they never were 20 years back.

Certainly the I get to be in a 'group' thing seems in play too.

Seems just another bloke listening to his girlfriend's post brainwashing

rants against Abhisit et al and acting on it as if it were a rational impulse.

That's the problem with absolute imposing information control over a wide area,

it affects not just your target demographic, but also the spill over into

those around them, and that can bring your lies into stark relief outside

the targeted area.This would seem a case in point.

There is little logical reason a Brit of his age should be doing any of this.

So what IS the reason behind his illogical appearing actions?

Throw away the key.

The thread's several months old.. Bit late to the public lynching aren't you? Did the junket shuttle just drop you off in Pattaya? :whistling:

mmkay, politics aside, I notice the video with the foreigner placing a tire on the pile.

Repeat after me; Tire burning is wrong. It realeases harmful toxins into the air and the residue poisons ground water. The thick black smoke coats plants, wildlife and humans with a toxic oily residue. If you burn tires you deserve to be tossed on those burning tires.

Thank you.