Fake Kingston Datatraveler Memory Sticks

Richb2004v2

I've bought a few Kingston DataTraveler memory sticks recently from two different sources, only to find that they are fakes/copies. The first one I bought was 16Gig and was bought in a local IT centre. I bought it because it seemed a bargain being the price of an 8Gig. Next we were at a hospital market in Satahip and bought a 32Gig. I started having problems with the 16Gig straight away but figured it was the files formats I was using that prevented video being played from it. I put questions on here about that until I realised. Anyway in the meantime my wife bought several more to put on her online shop, including 8Gig versions. They were all returned, and my 32Gig didn't work. We took them back and swapped them for other items, except the 32Gig which he swapped for another. Since I still have the packaging I emailed Kingston who replied that it is a fake, that they don't even make a 32Gig in the model, and that there are many sizes of fake in that model.

So, be warned. Don't buy cheap Kingston memory sticks.

There is also the issue of the guy on the market stall selling these sticks week in week out. I guess that since Thais are reluctant to complain about anything he probably gets away with it. I will be taking my 32Gig stick back with the printed copy of the email from Kingston.

Rule number 1: If it sounds too good to be true it aint' true

You can always check your memory at: http://www.kingston.com/asia/verify/ to see fake or not

The 32GB is an old one - everybody should know it's fake - but they still sell it and people buy it 555555

Yes I checked it through Kingston. It failed. I'm not sure how people can be expected to know that. The packaging is impeccable as is the construction. I figured that since they were being sold on a market stall they were just knock off or something. It's not that funny since we bought about five of these things. The first one was from an IT centre too. TIT I guess.

These fakes have been around for ever

One thing you need to understand? Would an actual OEM like Kingston let people buy wholesale and sell their product on the street, or unauthorised shops? The answer is no

Beside Kingston and memory sticks, there are fake Blackberries, Sony PSP game players, IPODS, Creative Labs and anything else you can think of

If you are not buying from a reputable source like Power Buy in Central World or Siam Paragon or the Emporium or other name brand mall, you are getting a fake

Caveat Emptor

I bought a 16GB "Kingston" memory stick at a computer fair in Big C, Phuket. It had Kingston packaging but the seller supposedly came from Chiang Mai. It was completely worthless (appeared to hold data which would then disappear) & of course the seller, who was doing a roaring trade, was long gone as the fair was just a weekend event.

I've had some from Tescos, they seem to be original.. :)

The fair was only in the Big C complex, not at all related to their store otherwise there might be some come back.

Yup, these were actually off the shelf from Tescos itself.

I got some from the Fortune town before also, they were fake too.

With the price of memory sticks being so inexpensive, what's the point? Is all this hassle worth it? So if it goes bad, you usually have a backup somewhere, don't you? Usually you have another one laying around to use. Maybe I could see it, it you had a bunch that were defective, but I haven't experienced that.

Edited by BB1950

You can always check your memory at: http://www.kingston.com/asia/verify/ to see fake or not

That's great we can verify. But, how do we verify before we buy. I guess check the product, noted down these numbers and go to nearest internet shop, check online and go back to the shop.. Phwee.. sounds a lot of steps. :mellow:

I let my son do the shopping for Kingston products. He always carries his BlackBerry with him and checks the authenticity on the spot at the above website before handing over cash.

opalhort

That's great we can verify. But, how do we verify before we buy. I guess check the product, noted down these numbers and go to nearest internet shop, check online and go back to the shop.. Phwee.. sounds a lot of steps. :mellow:

I let my son do the shopping for Kingston products. He always carries his BlackBerry with him and checks the authenticity on the spot at the above website before handing over cash.

opalhort

That's a great idea. If only I had a Blackberry. Maybe I'll buy one of those cheap copy versions from the IT center :D.

opalhort

That's a great idea. If only I had a Blackberry. Maybe I'll buy one of those cheap copy versions from the IT center :D.

It take a fake to catch a fake? ;)