Motorhomes

doppa

One of my fantasies has always been to buy a small bus and convert it to a comfortable motorhome and go where yo wanna go......carry a motorcycle for getting around when you park and I really don't think that finding a quiet place in the rice fields or along the river would be much of an issue.

re: waste.....I had a small motorhome in the US and when I couldn't find a proper trailer park to empty contents, I just opened the valve in some isolated part of the road and didn't see any harm to the enviornment. fertilizer is what it became.

Now own a home and wish that I had followed my old dream and invested in remodeling a bus instead of a house.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thai pauly

re ... I have never seen a motorhome in Thailand

no offence but you should get out more coz ive seen these 4 and got pics of about 8 others of all shapes and sizes in chiang mai

enjoy pics ... dave2

ps ... the for rent one was parked half way along the north side of the moat yesterday

post-42592-0-06230300-1300800497_thumb.j

post-42592-0-96635800-1300800527_thumb.j

post-42592-0-78431800-1300800603_thumb.j

post-42592-0-46345500-1300800639_thumb.j

I am selling mine in Chiang Mai

Motorhome for sale

Is this the one at the Toyota dealer mentioned above? I'd love to have one and think they'd be brilliant in Thailand - given you've only put 5000km on it, it sounds as if you didn't go too far. What has your experience of places to stay etc been like?

I would also like to know his (or anyone's) experiences with the carryboy mini motorhome.

Did any TV members ever rent one from www.vrcarrent.com?

For a week camping trip at 2190 a day, that's 15,330 (plus gas) for a weeks holiday with no hotel fees. Not a bad deal at all considering most people don't blink at spending 2000b on just a hotel room alone when they are on a holiday - at least this way you get wheels too.

• 5 months later...

I've thought about buying a van and fixing it up like a small camper. I travel for months at a time in my truck and Camper in Canada. It allows me to go places where there IS no accommodation in the wilderness, and I have comfort while I travel. The bed in my camper is every bit as comfortable as my bed at home, and the camper has good lighting, a small fridge and stove. I can travel for a couple of weeks without buying more propane.

Jeep_road_4_Sierras.jpg

Haines_bridge_camp.jpg

One of these Mitsubishi vans would be ideal for back road travel in Thailand.

Mitsubishi_Delica_2.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

That would be my concern, the infrustructue to service them whilst travelling.

My son is currently touring Europe in an RV , but he has planned his trip to end up in a trailer park every night, so I don't need to worry too much about his safety, if he was travelling tround LOS in one I certainly would be worried.

I would also worry about the security angle of just stopping "anywhere that had a good view" in Thailand. there are strange types about during the night and an RV may look a soft target in a remote area.

I worry a lot :(

I would not worry 1 bit camping in isolated parts of Northern Thailand. When was the last time you heard of anything happening or seen any 'wise guys' camping out or being around ?

Edited by LJW

That would be my concern, the infrustructue to service them whilst travelling.

My son is currently touring Europe in an RV , but he has planned his trip to end up in a trailer park every night, so I don't need to worry too much about his safety, if he was travelling tround LOS in one I certainly would be worried.

I would also worry about the security angle of just stopping "anywhere that had a good view" in Thailand. there are strange types about during the night and an RV may look a soft target in a remote area.

I worry a lot :(

I never worry in Thailand, but I wouldn't travel like that in Africa today. Things have changed for the worse in Africa. When I've camped in the semi-wilderness of Thailand all the locals were always helpful. It is hard to find anywhere in Thailand that someone is not living.

re .... an RV may look a soft target in a remote area.

this one according to the stickers in the windows was protected by 12000 volts : (

true or not i dont know but i wouldnt like to try and attack it

dave2

...one should be safe,if parked in "the RED zone"...LOL

...but seriously,I was thinking about it...it's very hot most of the time here,so one needs the AC...the generators are noisy...so where you can hook up to the electric outlet?...maybe the 24hrs gas stations will allow that for a few Bt?

jesus aged christ, talk about answers that have gone way off topic, some of you on here need to take a long hard serious look at your life, all i asked was, does anyone know blah blah blah, why all of a sudden does it become a full scale debate, i'm seriously of thinking of jacking this shit in.

thank you for the one who pointed me in the right direction.

jap.gif

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

And then disadvantages to both caravans as well as the (baby)motorhome: When you use it outside or January in the North, you'll be running the engine all night to power the air conditioner.

Ever heard of a generator?? They can also include those in the package if requested as I recall..

Engine, generator.. either way you're burning gas all night. Don't know why that's better than a cheap but decent aircon hotel or resort.

A cheapo option for the winter months would just be having a tent cover and mosquito net over the bed of a pick-up truck, with a mattress in there. That'd be like camping without having to deal with spiders. I hate spiders.

Nice one! Is the way I am enjoing the nature for 10 years, and with a 4wd pick you can really reach nice spots. If you need all the comforts why bother with a 2,000,000 baht camper here. renting an hotel room is a wiser option...

• 2 months later...

I still have 'RV fever' and have been searching all over google and other places for one priced below thb 1mil

and thought that I would revive this old thread. 2 or 3 yrs ago, I remember seeing a 4wheel drive camper for sale on 'baht and sold' in that price range. From memory, it looked like a custom job built on a surplus military chasis, but well done. Does anyone else remember it and/or how to search archives of 'baht and sold'??