A Little Help, Uk Documents To Marry Thai

Hi all, i just wanted to confirm/ help to see if i have everything correct so my wedding goes with out a hitch in a few weeks and our wedding is legal in uk.

Ive downloaded the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in Thailand example form from the UK Bangkok embassy and changed the details to my own, ive never been married before and have no kids etc.

To my understanding i now take that form with passport, birth certificate and deed of change of name to the embassy and get it signed.

I then need to get it translated (anyone know the best place?) and take it to Ministry of Foreign Affairs 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210 to be made official?

We then can submit the now official documents at my girlfriends local ampur to get the thai marriage documents, which i can then retake back to the embassy who will arrange for it to be made legal in the uk, instead of doing it when you get home?

Any help or advice is much appreciated - thankyou

Edited by Surini

You pick up the document from the Embassy the next day.

There are loads of translation places near the Embassy.

After you have it verified by MFA you can get Register the marriage at any amphur. It might be easier to do it in Bangkok.

Once you are Married it is legal. There is no need to register it in the UK. Extra expense for little gain.

hi, you need your birth certificate, i then used an agency to sort all my paperwork, translations etc. if you have a lot of time on your hands then you can do without but i have heard stories of paperwork not filled correctly 3-4 visits back to the embassy etc. the agency also took us to a local amphur to register there straight after the embassy. cost, 10,000 baht all in

neilo

The translation can be done at the MFA, there are a few shops nearby, and as litebeer said no need to register at the embassy. I think both services, the embassy and the MFA are overnight waits.

If you are early enough and have got the translation done the MFA will verify on the day if you ask tho its double the fee

I went to Bangkok earlier in the week to do the same. I went to the embassy myself to get the Affirmation endorsed by the British Embassy. All I needed was the application form & my passport. I submitted it just after 8am and picked it up just after 1pm and the fee was 2834 baht. I used an agent to do the translation and take it to the MFA to be notarised. The cost was 1800 baht, which includes the MFA fee & postage by EMS to my house in Buriram.The cost of the translation alone is 250 baht for one page. I'm expecting the documents tomorrow. PM me if you want me to send you a scan of the agency business card.As bigneilo states above, using an agent removes the hassle of potentially incorrect translations and multiple visist to the MFA

Edited by mxyzptlk

thanks all for the reply s, i think its best to go the embassy get sorted and then use the agency like mxyzptlk did, im only in bangkok 1.8 days before i head north, so probably better to have all sorted and posted up to the house, i cant make more time for bangkok as the wedding is the day after we arrive up there due to family leaving the country not long after, so if we recieve the documents a week after we can go the ampur then

thanks all for the reply s, i think its best to go the embassy get sorted and then use the agency like mxyzptlk did, im only in bangkok 1.8 days before i head north, so probably better to have all sorted and posted up to the house, i cant make more time for bangkok as the wedding is the day after we arrive up there due to family leaving the country not long after, so if we recieve the documents a week after we can go the ampur then

If nothing else you are being very precise with your alloted time of 1.8 days! :)

Edited by mallyrd

Once you are Married it is legal. There is no need to register it in the UK. Extra expense for little gain.

I certainly agree.

But one thing I did do was to get the Marriage Certificate translated into English and then presented that to the Embassy. They stamped on the translation "Seen at the British Embassy, Bangkok" and was signed by the Vice Council. (see attachment)

This document has proved useful for obtaining my Wife a schengen visa in London and when I had to provide proof of address to a UK Bank (house etc in Wife's name here in Thailand).

post-110899-036323900 1283218819_thumb.j