A Golfer'S Final Resting Place

jazzbo

... from the 19th hole: This is a picture of me at Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill course in Orlando, FL where my Father was a daily fixture for many years. Mr. Palmer planted this tree with a plaque in my Father's memory and I sprinkled his ashes under the tree the day that picture was shot ... an Assistant Pro drove me out there and took the picture.

My Father was for 3 years the Chaiman of the Medical Assistance Committee during Mr. Palmer's Bay Hill Invitational PGA tour stop in Orlando. The 6th hole is also where I volunteered -- 12 hours per day for the 7 day tournament -- during those years (2001-03) to drive the electric ambulance cart taking doctors and paramedics to persons in the gallery who needed medical attention -- also on occasion to assit the players' family and guests.

Such is the life of a non-golfer who comes from a golfing family.

post-7565-002871100 1282991871_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Your father sounds like he was a fine man Jazzbo and obviously well liked to have been honoured by the great man Arnold Palmer in that way. What a great place for a golfer to spend his eternity.

RIP Jazzbo's dad

Edited by sangfroid

Thanks to the 2 gents above ... He was the type of person who not only knew Mr. Palmer and the well-to-do Members at the course, but knew the name and often family situation of every employee and grounds-keeper who worked on or at the course itself... Always good for a game at 7 AM. Generally of a conservative nature and very different from myself.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Ian -- but just to clarify, Mr. Palmer at age 81 is still going strong ... from Wikipedia:

An avid pilot for over 50 years, Palmer piloted a plane for the last time on January 31, 2011. He flew from Palm Springs, California to Orlando, Florida in his Cessna Citation X.

His pilot's medical certificate expired that day and he chose not to renew it.

... and the (now named) 'Arnold Palmer Invitational' will be played again next month at my old stomping grounds : http://www.arnoldpalmerinvitational.com/

Edited by jazzbo

jazzbo,

I've played Bay Hill many times. More than 50 years of golfing, huh? Next time I play there I'll make sure to pay some respect to your old man. 6th hole is a great hole, your old man has a fine resting place. Thanks for sharing this.