!

ADSL2+ Router (Zyxel 600HW) 100 Mbps + 54 Mbps Wireless

!

SMC Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps

! !

! Workstation 1000 Mbps

!

File / Backup server 1000 Mbps

I made a file/backup server because I don't want to loose any data stored on my workstation

so every day all data is copied to my fileserver (This before people say I should not run

2 pc's on a True home package. I'm not running an office off of it).

My router is 192.168.0.1

My file / backup server is 192.168.0.2

My workstation is 192.168.0.3

Very straightforward.

I am running azureus on my fileserver because except for making the nightly backup it is running idle.

Speed I get on azureus are bad (well, we all know TRUE). It used to be 100 KBps (800kbps on a 4096kbps package (about 20%). Now it is 20 KBps (160kbps or about 4% of the advertised speed).

On the router NAT has been installed to deliver the packages to 192.168.0.2. Firewall has been opened for the necessary ports (not the standard ones, yet it does not even matter). Azureus shows all green icons, so apart from the bad speed.. it works.

Now, I installed the file server because I work with Digital Video, so I dump my daily recordings to my fileserver (striping), hence the 1000 Mbps connection, just in case somebody wondered.

Problem is that when azureus is running I get frequent times that I cannot access that machine. If I ping to it it gets time outs. After a few seconds (sometimes half a minute) it comes back on and back to the normal pingtimes of 1ms. Very annoying when I want to copy sthg to my server. Also messenger and icq kick out recently even when the router says there has not been a disconnect. Or maybe that is problems on the true side without the adsl line being reset?

Does anybody have any idea what this can be? Is it the switch? Is it the router timing out and giving my azureus box trouble... hm... puzzled and can't figure it out.

Azureus settings are very moderate:

- 5 max simul. outbound connections (xp pro sp2 patched tcpip stack to even allow 100 conn.)

- transfer 25 KB/s max upload limit

- transfer 100 KB/s max download limit

- Default max upload slots/torrent : 6

- Max number of conn. per torrent : 10

- Max number of conn. globally : 150

Downloading about 6 torrents at a time (used to work great even downloading 20 torrents at a time). I tried dling only 2 torrents at a time. No change. The only change is that the speed is lower as true limits the speed on any port it catches to 1KB/s apparently so the only way to get a little bit of your speed is to get at least 20 connections.

Any thoughts highly appreciated.

Are you using the wireless portion for anything?  Is it properly set up?  I'm guessing that the router is the cause... check if there's a firmware update, and turn off anything that you don't actually use.

I'm using the wireless portion to synch with my laptop. I can try turning it off and see what happens. The main reason I bought the zyxel is to get rid of excessive boxes (ap, hub, multiple nics..) .

Any other ideas? BTW, what speeds are you getting on BT/BC? Also 20 KBps down?

Latest firmware locked and loaded already. Anyone over here that has a similar setup?

Edited by sillyfools

hi'

as you run p2p with a routeur you need to forward the ports that you use with azureus.

port origin;15000 dest:15000 ip:192.168.0.3 and so on ...

don't forget to open port 6881 as many tracker still use it, only in TCP.

to get the configuration of your routeur: type the address 192.168.0.1

and go to forwarding on the routeur page, sometime advanced/forwarding and forward the ports that you use :o

better not use the default port .. be smart and set them as 17301 to 17309

or something similar :D

francois

you may also need to use a DynDNS site to store your routers IP address and then link this with bit torrent as the trackers may only store trues proxy server addresses  :o

hi'

there is no "may be"(no guess in IT), trackers use the IP they got on connection.

being behind a proxy doen't change anything, only if you get a static IP then you would have to set up the routeur for it, and forward the ports to this IP.

francois

if the trackers storing the proxys IP rather than the routers IP, it changes quite a lot francois, in this case "azureus" the bit torrent client in use would need to be told to over ride the IP its packets would report as default :o

Edited by Joey Boy

if the trackers storing the proxys IP rather than the routers IP, it changes quite a lot francois,  in this case "azureus" the bit torrent client in use would need to be told to over ride the IP its packets would report as default :D

well ...

trackers take in count the public IP, proxied or not!

if you have a routeur, you need to bind this IP that the routeur gives you in your p2p client and it's seems a pretty obvious thing to do ... :o

all is on your side, not on the tracker's :D

francois