Thai Licence (car & M/cycle)

Just checked and licence ran out end of May 2548 anyone had experience with overdue renewals??

Location Nonthaburi

:o

Iv been told by someone in the know that after your first one year licence you need to apply on time to get your renewed 5 year licence.

However im also told the law has now changed and farangs can only have a one year driving licence now. So it should'nt make any difference when you renew. ( didn't for me)

Dont forget you will need another letter of proof of address again. Try your consulate in BK.

Hope this helps :D

Just checked and licence ran out end of May 2548 anyone had experience with overdue renewals??

Location Nonthaburi

Iv been told by someone in the know that after your first one year licence you need to apply on time to get your renewed 5 year licence.

However im also told the law has now changed and farangs can only have a one year driving licence now. So it should'nt make any difference when you renew. ( didn't for me)

Dont forget you will need another letter of proof of address again. Try your consulate in BK.

The Bangkok office issues 5 year licenses to farangs after the one year license expires. I confirmed this by phone last week. And I got my 5 year license at the BKK office. BTW, it is actually longer than 5 years as it expires on your birthday after the 5th year. I assume you have a NonImm visa.

The Bangkok office issues 5 year licenses to farangs after the one year license expires. I confirmed this by phone last week. And I got my 5 year license at the BKK office. BTW, it is actually longer than 5 years as it expires on your birthday after the 5th year. I assume you have a NonImm visa.

The Non Immigrant Visa is the key to the 5 year license, also to getting your first 1 year license.

After you first get your license, you can then get yearly renewals with just a 30 day entry stamp, to get the 5 year license, you will need another Non Immigrant Visa.

Location Nonthaburi

Not true. To get a 5 year license you must go at least i day after your initial 1 year license has expired or they will only give you another 1 year license.

Proof of address can be obtained either from your embassy or from your local immigration police. The police option is a lot cheaper.

I applied at my local office in Chainat about 3 months after my first one year licence had expired. I had all the required doc's ie Non Immigrant, proof of address...etc

and I was told I had to have a 1 year as they dont issue 5 year licences to farrangs any more :o

I do tend to believe you as the guy really didn't seem to know what he was doing!

I applied at my local office in Chainat about 3 months after my first one year licence had expired. I had all the required doc's ie Non Immigrant, proof of address...etc

and I was told I had to have a 1 year as they dont issue 5 year licences to farrangs any more  :o

I do tend to believe you as the guy really didn't seem to know what he was doing!

In some or the more remote offices it is difficult to know if they just dont know the procedures, are not use to issueing licenses to farlangs, or are stringing you out for a bit of tea money.

and I was told I had to have a 1 year as they dont issue 5 year licences to farrangs any more  :D

You should try the one in Takli. My wife's auntie(mabye cousin can't remember :D ) used to run the licence office there, sadly she's left now though, not sure where though :o