Embassy Pension Letter

FarangBuddha

It costs me $175 a year for multiple entry

+ costs and lost of time of several visaruns... <_<

BTW this embassy pension letter "problem" is very specific to USA.

For most other countries the consulate send this letter by mail

after a simple request by email, and often free of charge :)

For me it is still worth two visa runs a year (4,000 baht) to not have to be under the Thai scrutiny and all there paper work. As far as the cost it is a wash as how much do you lose keeping your 800,000 baht in an non interest bearing Thai account or in the case of a letter from embassy (American) cost of time and trip once a year to BKK. Anyway it is just my personal preference. There are other options without being on a retirement visa. I agree if you never leave the Kingdom, retirement visa is best. A lot of times I make a trip to the P.I. for a change and this takes care of a visa run.

Uh I don't know about that. Still can't build a 176 meter house in the states for $48,000 Including labor. Comparing McDonalds to Mcdonalds maybe. Florida is hella expensive to live in right now especially if you got a mortgage to pay & no job to pay it. Land is a better bargain in Maui Hawaii but you still can't build anywhere near as cheap . $10.00 per day labor compared to ball park $50.00 an hour $400.00 per day & that does not the include the contractors fee either.

Sorry but I know many very nice house for $100k in the USA that you can rent +$1000 / month.

In Thailand if you buy a house the same price, how much are you going to rent it? $500 / month? Return on investment is sh.it here.

Also in the USA you own the ground, in Thailand you only own the walls...good luck if you want to invest in Thailand.

Who said anything about an investment. This is my Casa. My house I had built finished last month at 1890 sq. ft. + the outside lounges & decking it would probably be in the $400,000

with today's pay scale. If I lose the $60,000 who cares anyway. The women always seem to get the property somehow anyway & it is like that not just in Thailand. But for an investment here- not a chance in hel_l!!! besides Nick if you have a good lady that won't ream You or in a company name at $1000 U.S. you own in 4 years.

Edited by Beardog

$2200 is not that much to have to declare. Seriously, you would have a hard time living on that in the US. Less so here. You don't even have to prove the income, just notarize the fact that you have it.

I've found the retirement visa process to be quite easy. I'm glad I finally made it to 50...those visa runs sucked. A multi-entry allows you to travel around the area, and if timed properly, even allows you to forgo the 90 day reporting requirement...which is also an extremely easy thing to do.

Is it perfect here? Absolutely not. Is it perfect in the US? Absolutely not. Are there better areas to live? Absolutely...but more money would be required for sure! :whistling:

Beardog: your casa is fantastic. I'm sure you will be enjoying it for years to come...

Thais see us as infinitely wealthy.

Sad to say that the Thais have embraced too many 'western' standards, greed being taken to heart as No 1.

I've been in Thailand 20 years and never have I seen society so split. In lots of respects it's cheaper back home.

And yes, I love this country!

In lots of respects it's cheaper back home.

Uh I don't know about that. Still can't build a 176 meter house in the states for $48,000 Including labor. Comparing McDonalds to Mcdonalds maybe. Florida is hella expensive to live in right now especially if you got a mortgage to pay & no job to pay it. Land is a better bargain in Maui Hawaii but you still can't build anywhere near as cheap . $10.00 per day labor compared to ball park $50.00 an hour $400.00 per day & that does not the include the contractors fee either.

There's a ton of old houses in middle America for 50K and less. A TON.

Thais see us as infinitely wealthy.

Sad to say that the Thais have embraced too many 'western' standards, greed being taken to heart as No 1.

I've been in Thailand 20 years and never have I seen society so split. In lots of respects it's cheaper back home.

And yes, I love this country!

In lots of respects it's cheaper back home.

There's a ton of old houses in middle America for 50K and less. A TON.

Sure...I've seen them. Even have them in my Mother's town. Can't think of one I would want to live in...and the neighborhoods they are located in are just not that great. Beardog's house is way better than any of those. Really nice place. Huge lot also...and no neighbors...yet....

$2200 is not that much to have to declare. Seriously, you would have a hard time living on that in the US. Less so here. You don't even have to prove the income, just notarize the fact that you have it.

I've found the retirement visa process to be quite easy. I'm glad I finally made it to 50...those visa runs sucked. A multi-entry allows you to travel around the area, and if timed properly, even allows you to forgo the 90 day reporting requirement...which is also an extremely easy thing to do.

Is it perfect here? Absolutely not. Is it perfect in the US? Absolutely not. Are there better areas to live? Absolutely...but more money would be required for sure! :whistling:

Beardog: your casa is fantastic. I'm sure you will be enjoying it for years to come...

Thanks Craig .......Your digs are very very nice as well. hopefully we will both enjoy for years to come!!