Hotel Rooms Full

It has just been reported on the Thai TV news that ALL hotels and guesthouses on Samui and Phangan are now FULL :blink:

God only knows where these people get their information. :annoyed:

I've never seen the place so quiet in all the years I've been coming here.

Information like this is the reason a lot of hotels and businesses that rely on the runoff from these hotels/GH are on there knees.

Another day, another bare-faced lie. What pisses me off is that they think we are stupid enough to beleive them.

Thing is, what are they trying to prove, and to who? Is it part of this 3rd world saving face crap because tourism here is going down the toilet, and no one in a governmental position related to tourism has either the business acumen or the will to do anything about it.

Is it part of this 3rd world saving face crap

Well if it is, then they have just shot themselves in the foot! Any viewer watching the report who was thinking about popping down to Samui for a few days will not bother now!!

So, you save face and everyone feels happy for a while - business is booming after all - but shortly afterwards when the reality sets in, everyone feels like sh#te.

Crazy. And stupid.

Edited by itishothere

By far the summer 2010 is the worst in the 10 years of my business in Koh Phangan.

I dunno about Italy anguid but the UK travel firms are in meltdown with at least two going bust in the last month. It aint just Samui.

EDIT: Oops....and Koh Phangan! :D

Edited by smokie36

OK then Mr Thai television and Mr Thai Tourist Authority, look at this scenario.

I am stuck in Europe or the US and fancy a holiday somewhere nice, me thinks I will go to Thailand. I then hear the news stories that in my favourite destination all the hotels are full, ok then I still want a holiday, so I will try another destination.

So Thailand boasts about full hotels, people decide to go elsewhere, meanwhile the hotels remain empty, isn't that what you call shooting yourself in the foot?

OK then Mr Thai television and Mr Thai Tourist Authority, look at this scenario.

I am stuck in Europe or the US and fancy a holiday somewhere nice, me thinks I will go to Thailand. I then hear the news stories that in my favourite destination all the hotels are full, ok then I still want a holiday, so I will try another destination.

So Thailand boasts about full hotels, people decide to go elsewhere, meanwhile the hotels remain empty, isn't that what you call shooting yourself in the foot?

Thats exactly what it does. it also is a fine example of the strange ideas the Thais have regarding business in general.

Agreed with the above but how about this take.

My thinking on this is that BIG business is getting involved within the tv stations and these BIG business people like a lot of influential powers have interests within the hotel industry within Thailand but moreso over on Phuket where due to the season/recession things are V-slow.

The way to fill these rooms is to broadcast that all hotels etc are full on Sam/Pha so anyone that was planning a trip to sam/pha and was focused on either one of the above will now start looking elsewhere within the region but big business has not taken into consideration that these potential tourists may say f&*k it I'm off to Vietnam and Thailand in general will suffer not just a few hotels.

its a simple case of ( Business is slow so lets UP the price )

You know, if I was paranoid, I might start to think that someone was out to get at me and these islands.:rolleyes: I mean, have we really pi##ed off enough people with our rich paradise and reputation and fancy villas and such to warrant this onslaught? It could eventually shut us down!!

First the locals themselves seem to be doing everything to discourage customers with their pricing.

Next Bangkok Airways tries to bleed what is left dry.

And now even the Tourism people - our guradians <deleted>, are telling people not to bother come here.

Yes, things are bit fcked up, the industry really isnt helping itself. It was only the other day I had a beer at Honey bar on beach choeng mon - expecting 70/80 baht per usual, but no 110baht I queried why, the girl said very quiet now but boss still want to make big money.. :o

As for hotels being full, Agoda must be lying then :lol:

Flight from BKK to Samui yesterday was about only 60% full.

Edited by mattcodes

Bah, go to the Honey bar in Chaweng instead.

They are used to hard times. :whistling:

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Haven't put my prices up for 3 years, on booze or birds. ( Only on water to stop the Israelis buying one bottle between 4 and playing pool all night!!!). PoorSucker, theres a free cold beer waiting for you, in the arms of one of my gurls!!!!

• Like 1

......it's like that: more families and average middle class couples than last year, who eat here and there > the range of restaurants on Samui now is like never before - anyway, there are also many which are full every night (e.g. Sydney) - and simultaneously hotels have special f&b offers like never before, e.g. 10.000 = 15.0000. This people never go to bars and discos, but to bed at 22:00-23:00.

......it's like that: more families and average middle class couples than last year, who eat here and there > the range of restaurants on Samui now is like never before - anyway, there are also many which are full every night (e.g. Sydney) - and simultaneously hotels have special f&b offers like never before, e.g. 10.000 = 15.0000. This people never go to bars and discos, but to bed at 22:00-23:00.

Any facts proving your conclusion? All hotels are full with average middle class people and families???? Sincerely doubt it.

Haven't put my prices up for 3 years, on booze or birds. ( Only on water to stop the Israelis buying one bottle between 4 and playing pool all night!!!). PoorSucker, theres a free cold beer waiting for you, in the arms of one of my gurls!!!!

Discrimination.

Discrimination.

Yep! But I do allow Global Moderators in.......

Edited by screamingeagle