Retirement Visa (again!)

May I ask for a little more help, please? I've looked as far as possible in the archives, but can't see the answer:

What is the best way of obtaining a retirement visa? Is it easier to apply prior to departure to Thailand in the Thai Embassy / Consulate in the UK (or in the USA if a US citizen), or is it possible to apply for a Retirement Visa once in Thailand (say on a visitor's visa?). Is there any difference in the documentation requirements?

Is it even possible to convert a visitor's visa into a retirement visa once in LOS, or not?

Thanks in advance for any help

You can convert a real visa (not a 30 day entry without visa).

The pre approved retirement in your home country only has one additional requirement and that is a police report (which is normally very easy to obtain) and has the advantage of immediate 1 year entry upon arrival and no need to transfer money immediately. But you should speak with local embassy first as to what exactly they require as some seem to want an excess of signatures on some paperwork if you take instructions literally.

must have a non o visa from home country first then apply at thai immagration for retirement visa before o visa runs out

Not really. You can obtain an O/A long stay visa for retirement in a foreign country and enter Thailand and receive a 1 year permitted to stay stamp. After one year you extend stay at immigration inside Thailand.

Or you can arrive on a normal O visa of single or multi entry type and when less than 30 days remain on a permitted to stay stamp extend for retirement at immigration.

Or you can arrive on a tourist (60 day) visa and then decide to change to a non immigrant O visa at immigration for a fee of 2,000 baht and then extend your stay at immigration for retirement as above entry with O visa.

There are several ways to skin this cat. And should also point out other types of real visas can also be converted.

Edited by lopburi3

must have a non o visa from home country first then apply at thai immagration for retirement visa before o visa runs out

Thanks. I guess this is just a matter of terminology, but I'm not sure what you mean by a 'non-O' visa. Do you mean a 'non-Immigrant 'O' visa? If so - I understood that was for dependents.

Bottom line is - can I do it from a visitor's visa that I get from the Consulate or Embassy where I live? (i.e rather than a simple 30day visitor's visa issued at the airport)? Advice I'm reading is - come to Thailand, look round (again!!) and if you REALLY like it - then change your visa to Residency. That makes some sense to me, so I'm now trying to find out 'how'..... :o

At smaller Thai Consulates in the UK you can also receive a non immigrant O visa to look around if you have someone to sign will be responsible if you run out of money. This would be the best type as it would not need later conversion prior to extension of stay for retirement. But as I also pointed out a consulate obtained tourist visa can be converted if need be.

Not really. You can obtain an O/A long stay visa for retirement in a foreign country and enter Thailand and receive a 1 year permitted to stay stamp. After one year you extend stay at immigration inside Thailand.

Or you can arrive on a normal O visa of single or multi entry type and when less than 30 days remain on a permitted to stay stamp extend for retirement at immigration.

Or you can arrive on a tourist (60 day) visa and then decide to change to a non immigrant O visa at immigration for a fee of 2,000 baht and then extend your stay at immigration for retirement as above entry with O visa.

There are several ways to skin this cat. And should also point out other types of real visas can also be converted.

This makes a lot more sense - thank you. Can the third 'cat' you mention be done in one 'go'? - i.e. - convert 60 day tourist visa direct to Retirement at immigration? Is it actually possible to get a mulit-entry visa without real grounds (no dependents, no employment) ?

It requires two steps - tourist to non immigrant at cost of 2,000 baht and later non immigrant to extension of stay for retirement at 1,900 baht.

There is no need for a multi entry non immigrant O visa but yes, they do seem to be available at some consulates.

This makes a lot more sense - thank you. Can the third 'cat' you mention be done in one 'go'? - i.e. - convert 60 day tourist visa direct to Retirement at immigration? Is it actually possible to get a mulit-entry visa without real grounds (no dependents, no employment) ?

At least here in the states , getting a non im "O" visa (single or multi entry) "without real grounds", as you put it, seems to be a simple, quick process of simply mailing in your passport and fee to one of the honorary consulates. I assume same in GB.

Perhaps someone could post a link to a list of honorary consulates in GB?

Personally single entry 'O' is the route I will be taking when coming back in, as it gives me the most options with one step of picking which type of long term stay I want to choose once I am back. Not sure what the tourist visa costs, but it is probably not much cheaper than the $50 cost of a single entry non im 'O' visa. In any case you end up paying another B 2000 to convert to 'O' once in Thailand if you come in on tourist visa.

No need for the multi entry unless you think it will take you more than 90 days to make up your mind what you want to do. Keep in mind that you will then need to leave the country every 90 days until you do decide what to do. Cost for the multi is $125 compared to $50 for the single.

At least here in the states , getting a non im "O" visa (single or multi entry) "without real grounds", as you put it, seems to be a simple, quick process of simply mailing in your passport and fee to one of the honorary consulates. I assume same in GB.

Perhaps someone could post a link to a list of honorary consulates in GB?

Personally single entry 'O' is the route I will be taking when coming back in, as it gives me the most options with one step of picking which type of long term stay I want to choose once I am back. Not sure what the tourist visa costs, but it is probably not much cheaper than the $50 cost of a single entry non im 'O' visa. In any case you end up paying another B 2000 to convert to 'O' once in Thailand if you come in on tourist visa.

No need for the multi entry unless you think it will take you more than 90 days to make up your mind what you want to do. Keep in mind that you will then need to leave the country every 90 days until you do decide what to do. Cost for the multi is $125 compared to $50 for the single.

Thank you for this.

AFAIK, the only Consulate in the UK is in Hull, and the Embassy is in London.

I have yet more confusion. You mention a 90 days 'O' visa (as does everyone else here).

Unless I've really misunderstood things, the only reasons for granting a non-immigrant 'O' visa are:

a. Conducting business (n/a to me)

b. Employment (n/a)

c. Teaching and Studying (n/a)

d. Research (I don't think looking for a house to live in qualifies LOL - so n/a)

e. Religious purposes (definitely n/a)

f. Visiting family (n/a)

g. Retirement....(not certain)

h. Official purposes (n/a)

i. Investment (n/a)

There are a number of sub-categories that fit into those above, too.

Since I don't fit into any of those categories (apart from retirement, possibly), then it seems that the only option I'd have for 'converting' to retirement (if that's what I choose to do rather than apply for (O-A) first off), is by converting a tourist visa. My understanding is that you can only do that if the tourist visa was granted for more than 30 days (60 days is the maximum, I believe?) before entering Thailand.

Hence I've concluded - in my case - then the only way I can test the water before retiring, is to do it through a Tourist Visa obtained in the UK before leaving, and then convert it to O-A in Immigration when/if I decide to commit. My only other alternative is to apply for the retirement visa at the outset. I don't see any problem with that - I just wanted to keep my options open.

Have I got it wrong?

Yet More !!!

Now I'm even further confused!!

I have just spoken to an extremely helpful lady in the Thai Consulate in LA.

I asked specifically about this and she said that is is NOT possible to convert a 60-days Tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa (O-A I'm specifically interested in) once in Thailand. She said this was because of the need for a police report.

I appreciate that she cannot know everything about the system, and I equally realise that the system can be a bit open to interpretation.....

Lots of members have given me some great advice and help here; the advice I've been given seems to indicate that such a conversion can be done but - can I have a show of hands, please, from anyone that's actually done it ?

Thanks

Thank you for this.

AFAIK, the only Consulate in the UK is in Hull, and the Embassy is in London.

I have yet more confusion. You mention a 90 days 'O' visa (as does everyone else here).

Unless I've really misunderstood things, the only reasons for granting a non-immigrant 'O' visa are:

a. Conducting business (n/a to me)

b. Employment (n/a)

c. Teaching and Studying (n/a)

d. Research (I don't think looking for a house to live in qualifies LOL - so n/a)

e. Religious purposes (definitely n/a)

f. Visiting family (n/a)

g. Retirement....(not certain)

h. Official purposes (n/a)

i. Investment (n/a)

Have I got it wrong?

Hi fk,

At least here in USA, through the honorary consulates, straight O without any of the above is a simple matter of sending in $, application and passport. Spoke to them myself and they do this all the time. Have also seen many posts here confirming this.

Perhaps we could hear from a Brit re this?

re LA consulate I believe she is clueless as to what is done by imm in Thailand. I look forward to seeing what the experienced ones here say, but I believe you get a Thai police report to show in Thailand.

Edited by seeker108

It requires two steps - tourist to non immigrant at cost of 2,000 baht and later non immigrant to extension of stay for retirement at 1,900 baht.

There is no need for a multi entry non immigrant O visa but yes, they do seem to be available at some consulates.

Thank you very much. Can you give me a clue as to what type of non-immigrant visa I would be able apply for - bearing in mind my understanding (which might be wrong) of what are possible eligible categories? The 2000 baht is not an issue - but I don't want to come all the way over just to be sent away to start again because I've hopelessly got it wrong....

I'm beginning to feel a bit lost...............

Farang-kha,

Assuming that you are over 50 and want to retire, I can't draw the dots any closer than this:

• get a 60-day tourist visa (US: $25) from the Thai consulate in your home country

• apply for a "non-immigrant O" when you get to Thailand - it will be for 90 days (B1900)

• as soon as you get your 90-day "non-imm O", apple for an extension (B1900)

• as soon as you get the one-year non-imm O, apply for a multi-entry visa (B3800)

Before I left the US, I got 3 original (not photocopied) and notorized police reports. When I got to Thailand, the Immigration official didn't even acknowledge them. Again, it's the difference between "the law", and "enforcement of the law".

Unlike the US, not all laws are applied equally and, if the authority (police, customs) like and trust you (largely based upon your appearance and you showing them respect), they might cut some corners. Just like fingerprints, everyone's experience in Customs and Immigration is unique. Don't worry: the police don't shoot people because the paperwork isn't in order, and they don't take hostages. Keep smiling, and don't let them see you sweat.

You do not need a police report in Thailand. Consulates are under MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs). Immigration is part of the police department and control visas and extensions inside Thailand. The playbooks are not the same.

Non-Immigrant O-A visas (so called 'retirement visas') CANNOT be obtained in Thailand. They can only be obtained at Thai Embassies and Consulates, including Honorary Consulates (at least in the US; there is some evidence that in other countries, you may need to apply for the O-A only at the Embassy). So, if you don't get an O-A abroad, but instead do the retirement drill in Thailand, the end result is NOT getting an O-A visa. Thai Immigration will NOT put any stamp in your passport that says 'O-A'. As Lop says, this is strictly MFA territory.

Again repeating Lop, only the O-A requires a police report -- and there may be additional requirements to have all paperwork 'authenticated' (notarized, or stamped by your foreign mininstry/State Department as 'official'). This varies by country, with Honorary Consulates seeming the least hassle. (expatinasia: why did you think you needed a police report to extend your 'O' in Thailand? Did you think you were getting an O-A here? If so, you're not the first -- and won't be the last -- to get hung up on this confusion)

LA Consulate requires you to be a US citizen -- not just a resident of the US -- to get an O-A visa.

Some Embassies/Consulates will NOT issue Non-Immigrant 'O' ('O' is for 'other') if your stated reason is to go to Thailand to retire. In this case you'll either have to get the O-A, or get a tourist visa and then do the progression to 'O,' then 'extension based on retirement' in Thailand at Thai Immigration. This progression is doable in Bangkok -- not sure it can be done at other Immigration offices.

If you qualify to extend your 'O' in Thailand for both 'support' (marriage normally) or 'retirement,' there are plus and minuses to both:

Marriage requires less provable finances, allows you to work, and doesn't require a medical certificate (although these are easy and cheap to acquire in Thailand). But on the downside, you'll usually have to wait over a month between application and the actual stamp, as more investigation is required than with a retirement extension.

Retirement extension stamps can be obtained the same day as application. And it is possible (according to at least one poster) to apply for this extension anytime during your 90-day stay -- not just during the last 30 days. Downside is: no work allowed and, of course, higher financial requirements.

Anyway, all this is somewhere scattered over this forum. Would be nice to have it all in one place.

What did I miss, Lop?

Non-Immigrant O-A visas (so called 'retirement visas') CANNOT be obtained in Thailand. They can only be obtained at Thai Embassies and Consulates, including Honorary Consulates (at least in the US; there is some evidence that in other countries, you may need to apply for the O-A only at the Embassy). So, if you don't get an O-A abroad, but instead do the retirement drill in Thailand, the end result is NOT getting an O-A visa. Thai Immigration will NOT put any stamp in your passport that says 'O-A'. As Lop says, this is strictly MFA territory.

Again repeating Lop, only the O-A requires a police report -- and there may be additional requirements to have all paperwork 'authenticated' (notarized, or stamped by your foreign mininstry/State Department as 'official'). This varies by country, with Honorary Consulates seeming the least hassle. (expatinasia: why did you think you needed a police report to extend your 'O' in Thailand? Did you think you were getting an O-A here? If so, you're not the first -- and won't be the last -- to get hung up on this confusion)

LA Consulate requires you to be a US citizen -- not just a resident of the US -- to get an O-A visa.

Some Embassies/Consulates will NOT issue Non-Immigrant 'O' ('O' is for 'other') if your stated reason is to go to Thailand to retire. In this case you'll either have to get the O-A, or get a tourist visa and then do the progression to 'O,' then 'extension based on retirement' in Thailand at Thai Immigration. This progression is doable in Bangkok -- not sure it can be done at other Immigration offices.

If you qualify to extend your 'O' in Thailand for both 'support' (marriage normally) or 'retirement,' there are plus and minuses to both:

Marriage requires less provable finances, allows you to work, and doesn't require a medical certificate (although these are easy and cheap to acquire in Thailand). But on the downside, you'll usually have to wait over a month between application and the actual stamp, as more investigation is required than with a retirement extension.

Retirement extension stamps can be obtained the same day as application. And it is possible (according to at least one poster) to apply for this extension anytime during your 90-day stay -- not just during the last 30 days. Downside is: no work allowed and, of course, higher financial requirements.

Anyway, all this is somewhere scattered over this forum. Would be nice to have it all in one place.

What did I miss, Lop?

Jim - thank you very much for this. You've put a great deal of effort into giving me this reply, for which I'm very grateful. Unfortunately, I've missed something - so I'd like a bit more of your time, please. In your first sentence you say :

Non-Immigrant O-A visas (so called 'retirement visas') CANNOT be obtained in Thailand.
then a bit later on say you can...
.... get a tourist visa and then do the progression to 'O,' then 'extension based on retirement' in Thailand at Thai Immigration

So here it seems you're saying one CAN get a retirement visa in Thailand (albeit by going through the various stages). Is what you are really saying that - by going through the 'staged' method you mention that I would NOT get a O-A visa, but just an extension of an 'O' visa?? If so - is that effectively the same thing as a retirement (O-A) visa - or would I subsequently have to go through yet another stage to get that?

Pheww.....

Sorry to be a nuisance....

Non-Immigrant O-A visas (so called 'retirement visas') CANNOT be obtained in Thailand. They can only be obtained at Thai Embassies and Consulates,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even though you do not get an O-A visa in Thailand, what you get is a one year extension to your non imm O Visa based on retirement which has the same benefits, restrictions and requirements as an O-A Visa and the same annual renewal. So no differences at all in those regards whether one comes in with non-immigrant O and extends for retirement or comes in with O-A.

"including Honorary Consulates (at least in the US; there is some evidence that in other countries, you may need to apply for the O-A only at the Embassy). "

Maybe now in USA, also only at the embassy. According to Jen in the Colorado Honorary Consulate, they can not issue O-A visas and these must be obtained through formal consulates or embassies. So, either things have changed or other HCs in US have a different understanding. I may call a few tomorrow to see what they say.

Thank you very much. Can you give me a clue as to what type of non-immigrant visa I would be able apply for - bearing in mind my understanding (which might be wrong) of what are possible eligible categories? The 2000 baht is not an issue - but I don't want to come all the way over just to be sent away to start again because I've hopelessly got it wrong....

I'm beginning to feel a bit lost...............

FK - As you can see things are never set in stone accross the board from country to country, consulate to consulate or from one time period to another.

I wish there were some Brits participating in this who have recently been through this to bring in that perspective, but no luck yet. Also to tell you if there are Honarary Consulates in GB or not (because, believe me, here they make the process a simple joy as far as my experience goes so far, and according to what I have read here). However from what I can tell the rules for Brits and Yanks are the same as far as our discussion is concerned. (guys - correct me if wrong, please)

That having been said, and repeating that I am not an expert on these visa issues (but trying hard to be by reading all related threads here and talking to any good sources of info here in US, as I am also about to apply) here are maybe some answers.

A "non-imm O" is a "non-imm O" is a "non-imm O". You listed many of the reasons on which they will grant a "non-imm O" but in any case you still end up with the same "non-imm O" visa. So it is not what type of visa to apply for, but rather what justification to give, I guess. I do not think the reasons you listed are all of the reasons because at least here in USA they seem to be granting on some other basis without effort.

On the application it asks "Purpose of visit". I guess, this is what we need to know. Does anyone here have a good answer to that question? I will ask an HC or two tomorrow what they think I should be saying, as Retirement does not seem to be the correct answer at this stage. Perhaps the honest answer would be "to see if I want to remain in Thailand on a retirement basis or on some other approved basis". Not sure if that would fly with the consulate in GB or not, but suspect that almost any reasonable answer would suffice here for the "non-imm O".

If you do not have any HCs in GB and we do not get any response here from Brits who have been through it then you may want to inquire with the people at the Thai consulate there as to what they think about this (at some point down the road). Again I will check with one or more of the HCs here on how they want this question answered. It is such a joy to work with them as they are normal, friendly and helpful people who are happy to guide you through the process as long as you seem to be a reasonable person who meets the necessary criteria. :o

I wish there were some Brits participating in this who have recently been through this to bring in that perspective, but no luck yet.  Also to tell you if there are Honarary Consulates in GB or not (because, believe me, here they make the process a simple joy as far as my experience goes so far, and according to what I have read here).  However from what I can tell the rules for Brits and Yanks are the same as far as our discussion is concerned. (guys - correct me if wrong, please)

I'm a bit confused myself as to whether FK is a UK or US citizen, is in the UK or the US........

Anyhow, I'm a Brit and I'm in the UK :o. Having been up and down the forum for the past 8 months, I'm sure that there's no difference between US & UK citizens for the purposes of this discussion.

There certainly are quite a few Thai Consulates in the UK - here's a link to a list of them:

http://www.thailand-uk.com/visas.html

In practice, which one you pick in terms of geographical location is irrelevant as nearly all visa applications are dealt with by post (or "mail" if you're linguistically American :D ). Which brings us to the question of which might be more user-friendly and there's no doubt that Hull is top of most people's list.

I've spoken to the Hull Honorary Consul (Alan Taylor) myself - he is 100% helpful and a delightful guy. I understand from other forum posts that the lady that works in his office is likewise very helpful and knowledgeable. If you are still confused, I can assure you that Hull will clarify matters quickly and easily. They want to help you get to Thailand.

As per the guidance on the Hull Consulate website

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/visas.asp

the non-imm "O" visa can be issued (by Hull, for example) for the purposes of "visiting friends in Thailand" - as well as for visiting relatives.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Ad%20%20...ion%20Notes.pdf

That "O" visa can then be converted in Thailand to an O-A "retirement" visa. The Consulate can't issue the O-A (if that's what you decide to go for from the outset) - that has to be done through the London Embassy.

Does that answer everything? In any event, I would suggest that you call the Hull Consulate to put your mind at rest.

by going through the 'staged' method you mention that I would NOT get a O-A visa, but just an extension of an 'O' visa?? If so - is that effectively the same thing as a retirement (O-A) visa - or would I subsequently have to go through yet another stage to get that?
Effectively the same. With an O-A, you enter Don Muang, say on Sept 1, 2005, and they'll stamp your passport "admitted until Aug 31, 2006." With an 'O' visa, you'll get a stamp that says "admitted until Nov 29, 2005" (90 days). Or with a tourist visa, "admitted until Oct 30, 2005" (60 days). Then you do the drill with Immigration in Thailand to get an extension based on retirement. Eventually, you'll get a stamp that says "application of stay is permitted up to Aug 31, 2006" -- samo samo one year you got with the O-A, only the effort was done on this side of the pond, where no police report is required -- and the physical is a snap compared to what it might be in the West (cost, wait, inconvenient). But in both cases -- O-A or O extended in Thailand -- come August 2006, both will be in the same boat, as now getting the second year in Thailand is idenitical for both categories.

Why get an O-A? Well, with some Honorary Consulates, it's relatively painless. AND you're pre approved, at least for the first year's stay in Thailand, before moving lock, stock and barrel to Thailand. [Caveat: If your O-A visa is not 'multi entry', you'll need to get a reentry stamp from Immigration should you want to leave and reenter Thailand during your 'admitted until' period.]

Seeker,

The Colorado Honorary Consulate, reviewing comments by several posters, has not read the ambiguities of Thai Immigration Law as favorably as some other honorary consulates in the States have. Suggest you try another.

That "O" visa can then be converted in Thailand to an O-A "retirement" vis

Not really. It can be extended if you meet the retirement criteria to allow for a one year stay. But no one in Thailand is ever going to stamp "O-A" in your passport. The practical results, per earlier discussion, are the same. But this confusion can, apparently, lead some to get police reports not needed if they plan to do the age, financial, and medical drill in Thailand, not in their home country.

If you apply for an O-A in UK it can only be done at the Thai Embassy in London and it has to be done in person - no mail applications accepted.

The UK police clearance required for the O-A visa may take 6 weeks or so to complete, though I talked to a Brit the other day in Bangkok who received his in less than 3 weeks.

But given that, why not obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa good for a 90 day stay in Thailand and after about 60 days here apply for an extension based on qualifying for retirement.

Aside from Hull, Cardiff is very user friendly and I'd think that if the OP (original poster) wants to obtain an O visa with the intent of "visiting friends" in Thailand in August, the time is fast approaching to fill out the forms and if specific questions arise call one of those two Consulates for advice.

Be sure to arrange a wire transfer agreement with your bank so that you can transfer money to an account in Thailand.

-redwood

Maybe now in USA, also only at the embassy.  According to Jen in the Colorado Honorary Consulate, they can not issue O-A visas and these must be obtained through formal consulates or embassies.  So, either things have changed or other HCs in US have a different understanding.  I may call a few tomorrow to see what they say.

No change as Denver hasn't issued O-A visas in over a year.

-redwood

I asked for an O-A at the Thai embassy in Belgium and was refused because I had a non-expired multiple non-Imm O in my passport.

The embassy's message was go to Immmigration in Bangkok and get your retirement extension there.

I gave the retirement extension a shot when I had 60 days left on my Non-Imm O and was told to come back when count down was under 30 days. Telling the lady I live 500km from bangkok did not help. :o

Edited by jef