Pickling Spice And Vinegar

stevef

Put chillies in a stainless steel container with salt overnight and next day put in clean glass jars with any spices, pepper dill, corriander, tumeric, garam masala etc., that you like and cover with jasmine rice vinegar. (Tesco or Carfor) place a stone (boiled beforehand) on top to inside jar to weigh down. Store in cool dark place for 2 months. Hey Presto. Why you would want to preserve chillies in this way is beyond me.

All fingers are not equal!

post-34511-047344800 1283302012_thumb.jp

Edited by yumidesign

Loads of recipe's on the net. http://www.g6csy.net/chile/pickling.html has some good recipes. When we first pickled we looked at youtube to get us started and modified to suit our taste. Hope your connection is good enough for youtube!!

When we pickle them we use ready available here distilled vinegar. Heinz is good and the thai equivelent works just as well.

We use sea salt which we get at best supermarket at the dolphin roundabout.

Add whatever flavour etc you want ....garlic, pepper corns etc.

We bought jars from the super cheap shop behind big C (upstairs)

The jars can be steralised by cleaning and putting in the oven at a low heat until dry (5 mins)

Pierce the chilis, place in the jar when it's still warm, and add the boiled water/vinegar/salt mixture adding the spices etc. Before sealing the jar use a utensil to push the peppers in an attempt to get as much air out as possible.

We leave them for 2 weeks then EAT EAT EAT.

Hope it helps and you enjoy my chili's.

Loads of recipe's on the net. http://www.g6csy.net/chile/pickling.html has some good recipes. When we first pickled we looked at youtube to get us started and modified to suit our taste. Hope your connection is good enough for youtube!!

When we pickle them we use ready available here distilled vinegar. Heinz is good and the thai equivelent works just as well.

We use sea salt which we get at best supermarket at the dolphin roundabout.

Add whatever flavour etc you want ....garlic, pepper corns etc.

We bought jars from the super cheap shop behind big C (upstairs)

The jars can be steralised by cleaning and putting in the oven at a low heat until dry (5 mins)

Pierce the chilis, place in the jar when it's still warm, and add the boiled water/vinegar/salt mixture adding the spices etc. Before sealing the jar use a utensil to push the peppers in an attempt to get as much air out as possible.

We leave them for 2 weeks then EAT EAT EAT.

Hope it helps and you enjoy my chili's.

i will try that one got all that stuff in the house so no walking needed good job

1)how much sea salt do you use to 5 litres of vinegar

2)do you dilute your vinegar as in a lot of recipies or 100 per cent

hope the teeth are ok :D

i will try that one got all that stuff in the house so no walking needed good job

1)how much sea salt do you use to 5 litres of vinegar

2)do you dilute your vinegar as in a lot of recipies or 100 per cent

hope the teeth are ok :D

Salt levels are down to personal taste. I basically use 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. 3 tbsp to four glasses of liquid. (Normal Thai whisky glass) Sugar again is personal taste, I like my pickles salty not sweet.

Edited by mpdkorat

I use 50/50 vinegar and it suils my taste. To set you an example the 50/50 has the pickle taste similar to pickled onions you get in the UK and i like it when you get that with the heat from the chilis mixed together. Again the salt is for personal taste and i use 1 tbsp per ltr of 50/50 which is NOT to salty and when having wih a meal you can always add more salt but cannot take away if too much. When the salt,vinegar, water, spice/garlic etc are put in a pot i add 1 tsp of olive oil but again it for my taste.

...Bottled the dentist but have made an appt for tomorrow :o/

I pickle Jalapeno peppers, and dill pickles. i use apple cider vinegar 1 to 3. 1 part vinegar, and 3 parts water. Dill which can be bought at any local markets. The Thais call it Pakchi loaw. Can also be bought at any of the super markets nation wide. different salts, Garlic salt preferred. Garlic, and red chillies. Boil Vinegar mixture, and dill for about 30 minutes, and pour mixture warm into containers of cucumbers, and jalapeno peppers. Finished in about one week.

Barry