Pajero Vs Fortuner

Thailaw

I went to the dealer today, i was going to get a proton exora but.. seeing the prajero sport at only 1.1mil .. i was wow'd.

How do i go about getting a good deal? Rebate or extras. We are in phuket so there's like only 1 dealer.

The 2.5, can you get diesel? is it worth to get the diesel?

The car says 140hp turbo.. is it 140 with turbo or + turbo. 140 seems weak to push such a big car.

Is it really worth it to get the prajero when the triton looks the same and is 300k baht cheaper? is there a real difference?

Hurry up to Tesco Lotus, today sunday is last day of promotion

2,5 turbodiesl works fine with auto and 2wd, ad chipstuning and you have 175hp and huge amount of tourque

if you only need 5 seats and a pickupbed, Pajero isnt worth any more money. Only difference is what you see, and the rear suspension being stiffer on Triton to be able to carry more load

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the dealer today, i was going to get a proton exora but.. seeing the prajero sport at only 1.1mil .. i was wow'd.

How do i go about getting a good deal? Rebate or extras. We are in phuket so there's like only 1 dealer.

The 2.5, can you get diesel? is it worth to get the diesel?

The car says 140hp turbo.. is it 140 with turbo or + turbo. 140 seems weak to push such a big car.

Is it really worth it to get the prajero when the triton looks the same and is 300k baht cheaper? is there a real difference?

140hp on a car like that it will be slower than my 125cc honda M/C it need's 3lt 160+hp if you tweek it you loose your guarantee. Here we go again buy something then start to spend even more cash. Buy the way theTriton is small. And I think ugly.Maybe that's why they are not a good seller.

Most buyers know sod all about motor tech, but thats OK, everybody thinks it has 4 wheels, brakes, wind screen wipers etc. Thats cool, why want to know more.

Manufacturers know that and some don't give a toss that their braking system is well under par but that is where this forum really can help the novice to take on board stuff they have never considered.

WE, are very lucky to have real tech info that's accurate and up to date, members katabeachbum and moonriveroasis are at the forefront of the critical information that WE want. So, it is well worth putting your question forward here to satisfy your thoughts about a purchase. I am sure they and others will be only to pleased to feel they have helped you in what you think is important to you.

Me, l just want a big V8 in my ride but not to be. :D

Well at the end of the day, people should understand why a truck-based "SUV" is cheaper than a crossover designed from a mid size sedan car like the CRV or the Nissan X Trail and why you can't expect the same thing.

Honestly, I would buy this one because they are the cheapest people mover around (I need 6 seats) and I would never expect to have a performing car in my hand.

Maybe some people are misled in thinking they have a Pajero "sport" and could actually race on the Dakar with it laugh.gif

PS: for those interested, Foton China is now developing a SUV to try to compete with the Fortuner here. Might be on the market end of next year.

Most buyers know sod all about motor tech, but thats OK, everybody thinks it has 4 wheels, brakes, wind screen wipers etc. Thats cool, why want to know more.

Manufacturers know that and some don't give a toss that their braking system is well under par but that is where this forum really can help the novice to take on board stuff they have never considered.

WE, are very lucky to have real tech info that's accurate and up to date, members katabeachbum and moonriveroasis are at the forefront of the critical information that WE want. So, it is well worth putting your question forward here to satisfy your thoughts about a purchase. I am sure they and others will be only to pleased to feel they have helped you in what you think is important to you.

Me, l just want a big V8 in my ride but not to be. :D

Well at the end of the day, people should understand why a truck-based "SUV" is cheaper than a crossover designed from a mid size sedan car like the CRV or the Nissan X Trail and why you can't expect the same thing.

Honestly, I would buy this one because they are the cheapest people mover around (I need 6 seats) and I would never expect to have a performing car in my hand.

Maybe some people are misled in thinking they have a Pajero "sport" and could actually race on the Dakar with it laugh.gif

PS: for those interested, Foton China is now developing a SUV to try to compete with the Fortuner here. Might be on the market end of next year.

CRV and Nissan X Trail are CHEAPER to make and ex taxes sold CHEAPER than Fortuner/ Pajero Sport. The LOS excice tax system benefits LOS made SUV on frame with wheelbase more than 275cm and not more than 3200cc engine, making them appear inexpensive in LOS.

CRV/Xtrail derived from cars have some benefits, but off road they are useless, engines low on tourque and payload is low.

Fortuner/Pajero Sport are offroadvehicles handling acceptable on road, with 7 seats great tourque and high payload (for suvs).

Foton Chinas SUV in LOS will have to compete on par with other imports, so ad 180% of taxes to its price. 3 makers presently have 99% of LOS SUV on frame market.

Edited by katabeachbum

CRV and Nissan X Trail are CHEAPER to make and ex taxes sold CHEAPER than Fortuner/ Pajero Sport. The LOS excice tax system benefits LOS made SUV on frame with wheelbase more than 275cm and not more than 3200cc engine, making them appear inexpensive in LOS.

CRV/Xtrail derived from cars have some benefits, but off road they are useless, engines low on tourque and payload is low.

Fortuner/Pajero Sport are offroadvehicles handling acceptable on road, with 7 seats great tourque and high payload (for suvs).

Foton Chinas SUV in LOS will have to compete on par with other imports, so ad 180% of taxes to its price. 3 makers presently have 99% of LOS SUV on frame market.

They plan to build up a plan here, as in Russia. Which is why I highly doubt that even if the development is well advanced according to their say, they can put the car on the market by end of next year as they said. And in a very Chinese fashion, when I mentioned Mitsu or Isuzu, they just discarded them and said "we want to compete with Fortuner" whistling.gif

No doubt the CR - V is not made to go off road, but let's face it, how many Fortuners and Pajero or Mu-7 go off road among all the ones I see in Bangkok?

I don't have the exact excise tax (would be glad if you have that, I am very interested), but the CR V is assembled in Ayutthaya. So would the tax make a difference of , say, 20%?

Mistu finance is currently handled by the Bank of Ayudhya (AKA: Car 4 Cash). They have no problem using combined incomes for married couples, and if married to a Thai, your foreign income is golden - Thanachart and SCB are the only other banks I know of with similar policies - for the rest you'll need to make your money in TH OR your wife will need to be the one with all the Baht. You can also push for 20% down payment if that's important to you, plus you can push them on the interest rate (1.1 - 1.3% seems to be as good as it gets).

They proposed me 1.55%, over 3 or 4 years. I am letting the sales guy perspiring a bit before making the 5K deposit, see if we can get anything better wink.gif

Oh, and I test drive it today.

Mistu finance is currently handled by the Bank of Ayudhya (AKA: Car 4 Cash). They have no problem using combined incomes for married couples, and if married to a Thai, your foreign income is golden - Thanachart and SCB are the only other banks I know of with similar policies - for the rest you'll need to make your money in TH OR your wife will need to be the one with all the Baht. You can also push for 20% down payment if that's important to you, plus you can push them on the interest rate (1.1 - 1.3% seems to be as good as it gets).

They proposed me 1.55%, over 3 or 4 years. I am letting the sales guy perspiring a bit before making the 5K deposit, see if we can get anything better wink.gif

1,09% in Phuket max 48 months min 10% down

They plan to build up a plan here, as in Russia. Which is why I highly doubt that even if the development is well advanced according to their say, they can put the car on the market by end of next year as they said. And in a very Chinese fashion, when I mentioned Mitsu or Isuzu, they just discarded them and said "we want to compete with Fortuner" whistling.gif

No doubt the CR - V is not made to go off road, but let's face it, how many Fortuners and Pajero or Mu-7 go off road among all the ones I see in Bangkok?

I don't have the exact excise tax (would be glad if you have that, I am very interested), but the CR V is assembled in Ayutthaya. So would the tax make a difference of , say, 20%?

PPV as Fortuner, 20% excice tax

CRV 2,0 30% if E20 capable

CRV 2,4 35% if E20 capable

3,0 40%

over 3,0 50%

pickups 0-3%

ad 7% vat on tax.

all for made in LOS

import, ad 80% duty before calculating taxes

all from old memoryB)

Thanks for that. So if I understand well the different in taxes is about 10% between them for the 2l. Seems they make more mark up on the CR-V wink.gif

Wow these interests are good. I jsut managed to get a bit lower than 1.5% here, but not better.

As for the down-payment, well, if less than 25% they ask me for a local guarantee (which I can get from my friend)

was quoted 1.5% in phuket with a 500k deposit

was quoted 1.5% in phuket with a 500k deposit

I am quoting the sign as seen on Saturday, Mitsu Phuket always try to squeeze farang;)

well anyways.. can't get it. Bank says were maxed out on loans because of the house.. i only have 600k down..

don't think ill find anyone around who'd loan me 600k at 10% interest over 2 years even in my friends :(

i'll see the pajero in a couple years

I just reserved one. Waiting on the paperwork to be approved - or not - by finance.

Thinking about changing the wheels - but know nothing about them. Have noticed people on here say the PGT doesn't handle that well out of the gates on standard issue - what wheel options are there to improve that??

BTW, thanks to all the regular contributors who helped in this decision making process. I'm bound to have heaps of questions....

Solo,

my suggestion would be you have nice 17" rim and tyre not bad, if you are worried about the ride, change to set of Rancho RS9000 shocks cost not sure but around 10,000bt you will notice a difference. I'm sure people that own this model Pajero will give you more suggestions.

Solo,

my suggestion would be you have nice 17" rim and tyre not bad, if you are worried about the ride, change to set of Rancho RS9000 shocks cost not sure but around 10,000bt you will notice a difference. I'm sure people that own this model Pajero will give you more suggestions.

Is it the tires and wheels or the shocks (or both) that will improve the driveability/handling of the Pajero?

Quick update: through friends of mine I got in touch with the Nakhon Sawan dealer, and it seems I can get the Alpine GPS for 25K THB + a free external 5" inch display as (according to them) if you watch the GPS on the integrated screen at the front, you cannot watch the TV/DVD on the additional display at the back... Well it was not very clear as in Thai, but the boss who speaks English will call me tomorrow to explain again unsure.gif

Replace the shocks and feel what a difference it makes for low cost then think about tyre if needed

Make that "gas" shocks. A set of KYB's cost next to nothing in Thailand. Changing to larger rims will help too but at more detriment to comfort and at about ten times the cost.whistling.gif

Replace the shocks and feel what a difference it makes for low cost then think about tyre if needed

Make that "gas" shocks. A set of KYB's cost next to nothing in Thailand. Changing to larger rims will help too but at more detriment to comfort and at about ten times the cost.whistling.gif

Most japs/LOS vehicles already come with KYB shocks

Try the Pajero first, handles well on the stock 17" road biased tyres. Quiet too

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport can be a really good car - but only if you don't park close to the sea or drive near the sea.

On the photo you can see my rusty new Pajero after 4 month.

and the comment of the investigation report from Mitsubishi Thailand:

Summary: after investigation, the problem does not concern with product quality but the problem occured by the customer parked the car close to the sea

I'm retired from the auto industry in the US. The rust shown there is termed a "patina" rust meaning a surface rust and should not affect the integrity of the vehicle during it's "lifetime".

That being said when we ran into this in the US (San Francisco bay area). The company would usually authorize for us to treat/scrub the rust and repaint/treat the affected areas to keep the owner happy. No once did I see a failure due to this nor did I read about any in the trade papers although back east where they salt the roads there was just no way to protect any vehicle.

It is interesting that the manufacturers put a creosote coating on a lot of the exposed areas of the new vehicles to keep this from happening on the boat ride over from Japan which would wear off after driving for awhile.

I think that anyone living on a coast area should get the undercoating/sealing done when they buy a vehicle. This, however, cannot be done to any part of the vehicle that moves only the frame and underside. Paint would have to work on the other areas as best as it can making sure that it's not overly thick on places like brake calipers, etc. as it can cause systems which use liquid to overheat creating system failures and inefficiency of operation over a period of time. Rubber hoses, brake lines, cooler lines cannot be treated and have to be visually inspected over the life of the component.

Hope this helps...........

Thanks guys. I also think the standard wheels look just a tad plain.

Anyone come across any wheel-selector sites with Pajero?? Something a bit like this:

http://www.bobjane.c...ual-wheels.html

Unfortunately, no and even the Bob Jane one you linked to doesn't have the 2010 Challenger (Pajero Sport) listed..

The best Thai wheel websites I've found are:

http://www.nvyangyont.com/

http://www.lopburiyangyont.com

Neither have a mock-up tool, but both have photo galleries to give you some ideas..

BTW- Which make and models include the KYB gas shocks?rolleyes.gif

Most japs/LOS vehicles already come with KYB shocks

Try the Pajero first, handles well on the stock 17" road biased tyres. Quiet too