Lao

chargers2011

Go to Chaing Khong Thailand on the Mekong. Cross over by water taxi to Houayxay Lao and take cruse boat down the Mekong to Louangphrabang. From there you go overland to Vientiane and cross back into Thailand at Nong Khai. Do some googling on this. You will not regret this trip. And BTW the Beer Lao is fantastic.

Go to Chaing Khong Thailand on the Mekong. Cross over by water taxi to Houayxay Lao and take cruse boat down the Mekong to Louangphrabang. From there you go overland to Vientiane and cross back into Thailand at Nong Khai. Do some googling on this. You will not regret this trip. And BTW the Beer Lao is fantastic.

Thanks a lot. I'll google this and check it out.

I arrived in Vientiane yesterday.

The entire riverfront area (the main reason for being here) has been torn up - a length of 3-4 ks. There is nothing there but piles of dirt, earthmovers & choking dust.

I was going to stay here a few months, but will reconsider. Anyways, don't bother with Vientiane.

If you like pretty girls & bars, why not go to Pattaya? Not much in Laos in the way of bars, tho plenty of freelancers hanging on the streets.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do this can you get a visa on arrival or do you have to get one in BKK at the Lao Embassy?

If you do this can you get a visa on arrival or do you have to get one in BKK at the Lao Embassy?

Visa On Arrival is available at Lao Immigration at Ban Houei Sai, no problem.

Mac

So where's the sunset-watching/afternoon-Beer-Lao scene if the river front's torn up?

Is there still a few bars up river from the river front road?

I'm taking some people there Sunday and need to pull something out of the hat by the sound of things... play the wise old Asia hand. :whistling:

• 11 months later...

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies. I still haven't gone yet because certain things have stopped me, like a 20 month old baby. We now plan to go to Thailand in Feb 2012. Two weeks in Bkk, three days in her village (that's all I can handle), and one week in Lao. From what I read, I can get a visa for $35 on arrival. Will my American born 1/2 thai baby boy need a visa too? Do I need any photos? Will my Thai wife need a visa? Still looking for things to do while we're there.

Thanks again.

I arrived in Vientiane yesterday.

The entire riverfront area (the main reason for being here) has been torn up - a length of 3-4 ks. There is nothing there but piles of dirt, earthmovers & choking dust.

I was going to stay here a few months, but will reconsider. Anyways, don't bother with Vientiane.

If you like pretty girls & bars, why not go to Pattaya? Not much in Laos in the way of bars, tho plenty of freelancers hanging on the streets.

Is the construction done yet?

I don't cheat on my wife, I just like the bar hopping and the attention from the young girls. I guess they don't have that in Lao, but I still want to go with my wife for a week. Any advice on what to do, where to go, and where to stay?

How young do u like the attention

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies. I still haven't gone yet because certain things have stopped me, like a 20 month old baby. We now plan to go to Thailand in Feb 2012. Two weeks in Bkk, three days in her village (that's all I can handle), and one week in Lao. From what I read, I can get a visa for $35 on arrival. Will my American born 1/2 thai baby boy need a visa too? Do I need any photos? Will my Thai wife need a visa? Still looking for things to do while we're there.

Thanks again.

If your wife still has a Thai passport, she gets a Visa On Arrival for FREE.

Check with the Thai Embassy in D.C., get your kid a Thai passport, in addition to the U.S. passport, that way s/he'll also enter Laos for FREE.

http://www.thaiembdc.org/

Free is better, sez I.

Mac