Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pies

richardjm65

I've got another option for you Rich, just waiting on an email .... tell you over drinkies on Tuesday if I get a reply.

There is a lad in Pattaya who makes all different pies,steak and kidney puddings,pork pies,scotch eggs,quiches, and they are quality pasties.He supplied me recently for my 50th birthday party at home in Pattaya and all the guests thought I had got them from the UK.

Tony 087167289

I've got another option for you Rich, just waiting on an email .... tell you over drinkies on Tuesday if I get a reply.

There is a lad in Pattaya who makes all different pies,steak and kidney puddings,pork pies,scotch eggs,quiches, and they are quality pasties.He supplied me recently for my 50th birthday party at home in Pattaya and all the guests thought I had got them from the UK.

Tony 087167289

That's all well and good, but does he make steak and kidney pies that come in a tin (so they keep for a very long time without a freezer) with a puff pastry crust?

We know loads of suppliers that have the standard fare, what is required here is very specific, pies in a tin, puff pastry crust and Fray Bentos written on the outside.

Don't care what anyone says about locally made pies, Fray Bentos are the ultimate pie, I'm drooling over the keyboard thinking about them.

Perhaps there is a good business opportunity to be made importing them, they are tinned so they would last for years!!

• Like 1

Don't care what anyone says about locally made pies, Fray Bentos are the ultimate pie, I'm drooling over the keyboard thinking about them.

Perhaps there is a good business opportunity to be made importing them, they are tinned so they would last for years!!

I have imported a couple of Frey Bentos pies ,but the trouble is that they weigh heavy and the postage means that they end up costing over 7 GBP a time....but I have to agree that they are unique and have never found any pie to compare.

One poster had agrued for Lady pies...apparently one of the mythical Australian'best pies in the world'...........;Krapp.

Anyone from Bristol will tell you that Clarks pies are the best .

Why isnt anyone importing Ginsters Cornish Pasties?

I have imported a couple of Frey Bentos pies ,but the trouble is that they weigh heavy and the postage means that they end up costing over 7 GBP a time....but I have to agree that they are unique and have never found any pie to compare.

One poster had agrued for Lady pies...apparently one of the mythical Australian'best pies in the world'...........;Krapp.

Sorry but you lost all credibility with that last statement. Ginsters are not pasties. They have their factory in Cornwall so they can call them "Cornish Pasties", but anyone from Devon or Cornwall (and I would have thought Bristol also) will tell you they are nothing like a proper pasty. They are processed crap that are only good for garage forecourts, where we will all eat any old <deleted> when we are hungry enough.

It's like comparing Kraft cheese slices to a wonderful mature Stilton - sacrilege! :D

Sorry but you lost all credibility with that last statement. Ginsters are not pasties. They have their factory in Cornwall so they can call them "Cornish Pasties", but anyone from Devon or Cornwall (and I would have thought Bristol also) will tell you they are nothing like a proper pasty. They are processed crap that are only good for garage forecourts, where we will all eat any old <deleted> when we are hungry enough.

It's like comparing Kraft cheese slices to a wonderful mature Stilton - sacrilege! :D

I'm not going to disagree with you,I've had cornish Pasties much much better than Ginsters...but being a well known brand and as you say sold everywhere to the famished I would still like to have one out here.

I guess that no one from Bristol had picked up on my Clarks pies thread.....realy they are utter rubbish,but sold from the 7 or 8 shops they have in Bristol. For the unaware they are an oval deepdish pie full of gravy and bits of potatoe....although I did once have one with a piece of meat....and for all that a very tasty aquired taste and certainly not gormand food....but sold by the hundreds every day

During a 4 year stint in Nigeria during the early '90's (with regular leave thank heaven!) Fray Bentos tinned pies were a permanent item on my wifes "buy as many as you can when you see them" list.

Here however I do not miss them at all - Lady Pie is very good, and only a month or so ago I discovered pies made by Bunters Foods which were definitely the best I have found in Thailand.

Sadly the owner of Bunters Foods - Howard Hilton - passed away a few weeks ago and I am not sure if his wife is keeping the business running.

Patrick

I'm not going to disagree with you,I've had cornish Pasties much much better than Ginsters...but being a well known brand and as you say sold everywhere to the famished I would still like to have one out here.

I guess that no one from Bristol had picked up on my Clarks pies thread.....realy they are utter rubbish,but sold from the 7 or 8 shops they have in Bristol. For the unaware they are an oval deepdish pie full of gravy and bits of potatoe....although I did once have one with a piece of meat....and for all that a very tasty aquired taste and certainly not gormand food....but sold by the hundreds every day

DAMM U ALL....just reading about the Fray Bentos pies has reignited longings....so I have just ordered 4 from Britcorner shop.com. Shipping costs are twice the pie costs......Oh well...just enjoy!!

During a 4 year stint in Nigeria during the early '90's (with regular leave thank heaven!) Fray Bentos tinned pies were a permanent item on my wifes "buy as many as you can when you see them" list.

Here however I do not miss them at all - Lady Pie is very good, and only a month or so ago I discovered pies made by Bunters Foods which were definitely the best I have found in Thailand.

Sadly the owner of Bunters Foods - Howard Hilton - passed away a few weeks ago and I am not sure if his wife is keeping the business running.

Patrick

Hi,

Yes, Howards' wife is keeping it going and you can order as usual...or visit their place to pick up an order.

Have to agree, the best pies in Thailand. Howard was a good mate of mine and its really sad that he's not around anymore, however his name will live on wit the excellent food he made.

Keep supporting Bunters!!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Tony 087167289

That's all well and good, but does he make steak and kidney pies that come in a tin (so they keep for a very long time without a freezer) with a puff pastry crust?

We know loads of suppliers that have the standard fare, what is required here is very specific, pies in a tin, puff pastry crust and Fray Bentos written on the outside.

That does tend to narrow the field a bit.

Tony 087167289

That does tend to narrow the field a bit.

GO TO

http://www.britsuper...Bentos_Pie.html

SHIPPED TO YOU

Yes, Howards' wife is keeping it going and you can order as usual...or visit their place to pick up an order.

Have to agree, the best pies in Thailand. Howard was a good mate of mine and its really sad that he's not around anymore, however his name will live on wit the excellent food he made.

Keep supporting Bunters!!

I wasn't aware of that, how sad.

I have been an occasional visitor and was just about to go again and stock up, I really must make the effort now.

Thanks MrMoo.....

Already knew about them, the cost of shipping they quote to Thailand is quite prohibitive, just under 150GBP for a 30kg package, plus even though they state on their website that delivery is 'direct to your door' when I contacted them they said that everything was shipped CIF and not DDP, so it could get very expensive.

Thanks MrMoo.....

Already knew about them, the cost of shipping they quote to Thailand is quite prohibitive, just under 150GBP for a 30kg package, plus even though they state on their website that delivery is 'direct to your door' when I contacted them they said that everything was shipped CIF and not DDP, so it could get very expensive.

I am working with my pie makers , and trying to come up with the same type pies , crust like we use on our sausage rolls, (puff) and have contacted tin makers ........not sure but trying to work on this as they are very nice pies and i know many would like them.

Thanks MrMoo.....

I am working with my pie makers , and trying to come up with the same type pies , crust like we use on our sausage rolls, (puff) and have contacted tin makers ........not sure but trying to work on this as they are very nice pies and i know many would like them.

Let me know please when its all set up as l live in Chiang Mai.I miss Fray Bentos tinned products but importing them is expensive Do you have any outlets in Chiang Mai?

lol fray bentos the ultimate pie, hehe its like say a macdonalds is the ultimate burger, you would find any of that mass produced junk in my bin if you want, thats the best place for it.bah.gif

here here, i totally agree with you, at last someone who knows what they are talking about. and as for the guy in Pattaya who makes quality pastys well thats b-----ks, Iv e had them there and there pastys are crap and they've got carrots in em, absolute sacrilege

here here, i totally agree with you, at last someone who knows what they are talking about. and as for the guy in Pattaya who makes quality pastys well thats b-----ks, Iv e had them there and there pastys are crap and they've got carrots in em, absolute sacrilege

Not sure who's you have had but carrots , ??? really well wrong ..not in ours

And i bet you have not tried the curry one ether, not in UK i bet ??? but very popular and good.

Everyone knows Aussie pies are the best in the world!!..runny obscure contents with a dollop of sauce in the middle....what could be better after a few dozen VBs...yum...lol

Seem to remember FB was soggy with less identifiable contents ...disgusting....not to mention the tin cutting your hands as you scooped it out with your fingers..but that was a looong time ago.. maybe they've improved along with all the other POME cuisine? :whistling: Don't Marks and Sparks still market good foodstuff in addition to y fronts??