Apt Security Deposits

I'm in the market for an apt or serviced building for a few months Sept-Jan, and would appreciate thoughts/comments on how best to avoid getting screwed out of deposit monies. Lets assume the place is left in very good condition at lease end. What can I do to either avoid paying the deposit/or ensuring that I have a modicum of a chance of getting anything back. Lets also assume this transaction is occurring in BKK as any reference as to how such matters work elsewhere is meaningless. Appreciated. If anyone has any serviced building recommendations also greatly appreciated.

I had only 1 time an appartment for 2 years and became back everything, no problem.

I think, that most not accept, that you not pay a deposit. It is also a security for them, if you destroy something.

On the other side, you should become it back if you not destroy something. But as is written in this forum, seems that it happens many times that the money not came back. I don't know how many times this happen, because most only write this if they not become back the money. So it can be less than 1 percentage or can be 90%... Who knows....

About the solution to not pay the last month?, i think this only works, when the owner accept this, else maybe he contact the police... but also some people gave this solution... So will be interesting what people write...

OK lets look at it from the owners viewpoint, first you wouldnt believe the amount of people that want a room off me and the first words they utter are " I will talke good care of your room Im a very clean person " blah blah blah and as i have now come to know these are usually the filthiest pigs imaginable.

The last one who did this swore blind he was a " very clean person" so on the day of leaving we went at the pre arranged time to his room and first he wasnt in he arrived 3 hopurs later at 8 in the evening and when he opened the door the place was disgusting, stank of cigarrettes and it was a non smoking room, the bathroom had glasses in it being used as ash trays, there was rubbish all over the floor, the sink had washing up piled into it with mould on it, the remains of his breakfast were in a frying pan baked on on the cooker oh and then he proceeded after being 3 hours late to get yoghurt out of the fridge and eat it and afterwards took his stuff and left the yoghurt on the table half eaten with the spoon in................ do you think he got his deposit back?

However having said that this is the only time I have kept a deposit in 4 years.

You want to rent from me? :lol:

My advice is DO BE CLEAN and careful and Im sure you will get your deposit back, in life you only hear the bad stories people without problem generally dont go on about it but the moaners although sometimes justified are more than likely like my customer above and no doubt still swearing blind about the bastard Farang and Thai who ripped him off.

Should I post the video I took of his room after he left that we kept just incase anything happened?

Edited by yabaaaa

[color: grey]I'm a bit late to be viewing this thread, I guess. That stickman link today has plenty of info about Sukhumvit, Soi Cowboy and Nana (none of which I care about...) but nothing relevant to apartment security deposits. Can anyone recall, or direct me to, what was said at that now-changed link?[/color]

[edited to add:] Sheesh. I went back to that stickman thread and found the section that was referred to.

(Mods: feel free to delete this post...)

Edited by wpcoe

OK lets look at it from the owners viewpoint, first you wouldnt believe the amount of people that want a room off me and the first words they utter are " I will talke good care of your room Im a very clean person " blah blah blah and as i have now come to know these are usually the filthiest pigs imaginable.

The last one who did this swore blind he was a " very clean person" so on the day of leaving we went at the pre arranged time to his room and first he wasnt in he arrived 3 hopurs later at 8 in the evening and when he opened the door the place was disgusting, stank of cigarrettes and it was a non smoking room, the bathroom had glasses in it being used as ash trays, there was rubbish all over the floor, the sink had washing up piled into it with mould on it, the remains of his breakfast were in a frying pan baked on on the cooker oh and then he proceeded after being 3 hours late to get yoghurt out of the fridge and eat it and afterwards took his stuff and left the yoghurt on the table half eaten with the spoon in................ do you think he got his deposit back?

However having said that this is the only time I have kept a deposit in 4 years.

My advice is DO BE CLEAN and careful and Im sure you will get your deposit back, in life you only hear the bad stories people without problem generally dont go on about it but the moaners although sometimes justified are more than likely like my customer above and no doubt still swearing blind about the bastard Farang and Thai who ripped him off.

Should I post the video I took of his room after he left that we kept just incase anything happened?

I don't know how much the deposit was but as i see it you are only entitled to keep the cost to clean the room from the deposit. Not the entire deposit. Depending on the size of the room of course but 1000 baht max.

Nothing was broken, you said, so why did you keep the entire deposit?

There are plenty of apartments.

I don't trust anyone with deposit monies.

My solution is to pay one month deposit maximum, and for that to be retained in lieu of paying the final month's rent.

If they are unhappy with that, I move on to the next apartment.

I don't know how much the deposit was but as i see it you are only entitled to keep the cost to clean the room from the deposit. Not the entire deposit. Depending on the size of the room of course but 1000 baht max.

My thoughts, exactly.

Apparently, outrage as a pretext for keeping monies owed. Certainly, the costs involved in cleaning it up couldn't amount to 1000 baht, given he admits nothing was broken.

This is just one of many of his posts, decrying the plight of the poor landlord, suffering at the hands of tenants...ThaiVisa at its best!

Sateev

Try using this bilinual contract form as featured in the book "Thai Law For Foreigners" which keeps everything very clear and upfront, if the landlord is willing to use it in place of the customary book store generic form which favors the landlord and is only in Thai unless you have it translated.

Get receipts for each and every rental payment, and don't take 'Mai Pen Rai' for an answer. I made the mistake with one landlord of paying my rent in advance, sometimes two or three months, because he always needed it for some reason, so I was generous. Then when it came time to move and get the deposit back, he forgot about two months advance rent I had paid, denied it and refused to refund deposit.

Otherwise I have had good luck and good landlord relations, but now have a place with no deposit, only first and last month; It can be negotiated.

rental_contract.pdf

My thoughts, exactly.

Apparently, outrage as a pretext for keeping monies owed. Certainly, the costs involved in cleaning it up couldn't amount to 1000 baht, given he admits nothing was broken.

This is just one of many of his posts, decrying the plight of the poor landlord, suffering at the hands of tenants...ThaiVisa at its best!

Sateev

He said it was a non smoking room so i would think 1000 baht would not cover the costs of more than likely re decorating the room and cleaning all the furniture etc

to get rid of the smoking smell.