The Bangkok Airways Rant Thread

carmine

Well, I need to go on the dates I chose and they were the prices I was given on the websites. I didn't want to leave it to the last minute in case I couldn't get a flight. Just reporting my findings......

On re-reading your post the 4,190 price was the same as I had (i think) on the website one way. The prices I have stated are return.

4,190 x 6 = 25,140 plus taxes.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For roundtrip ticket
depart june 9 / return june 12 ( as an example )

Airasia + luggage = 10,788 ( i have to add luggage simply due to structure like bangkok airways
Seatran ferry total for 3 people going and coming back - 600 baht ( 100 baht per person )
Total price per person including airasia,seatran, luggage = 11,388 or 3,796 per person

Bangkok airways
By the way time to depart 8:45 am come back to samui departs 7 am. Total price is 25,440 or 8,480 baht per person
By the way regardless bangkok airways will be more expensive there is no doubt on that. But Airasia is a great choice for those who are
A. On a budget
B. Don't need to worry about connecting flights
C. Have plenty time to spare
D. Just completely want to avoid bangkok airways all together.

Seems I got a good deal with air asia then. I did chose the no checked baggage option though and it came to under 5k and unlike bkk airways it isn't silly early fights. 1pm out 11am return.

What bkk air should do is charge a flat fee of 1,500 thb with hand luggage , then just add the add ons ie 1,000 thb haul luggage , 500 thb airport check in ( online free ) 500 thb for coffee and snacks on board and in lounge ( should you chose ) 300 thb priority boarding ect ect .. Most tourists will go for at least the 3000 thb option , but gives others the choose to fly cheap !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Why would BKK air do that?

1. Most short term tourists don't even buy their ticket from BKK air. It's purchased by the airline they booked their international flight from (or codeshared).

2. Luggage costs have almost no bearing on the price of flights between BKK and Samui. The limiting factor is the set # of flights each day for Samui airport (30) which is simply and purely the fault of government regulation.

3. Instituting the pricing system you suggest is just the same thing as cutting their prices by 70%. Providing coffee and cakes for passengers costs BKK airways next to nothing.

What bkk air should do is charge a flat fee of 1,500 thb with hand luggage , then just add the add ons ie 1,000 thb haul luggage , 500 thb airport check in ( online free ) 500 thb for coffee and snacks on board and in lounge ( should you chose ) 300 thb priority boarding ect ect .. Most tourists will go for at least the 3000 thb option , but gives others the choose to fly cheap !

Why would BKK air do that?

1. Most short term tourists don't even buy their ticket from BKK air. It's purchased by the airline they booked their international flight from (or codeshared).

2. Luggage costs have almost no bearing on the price of flights between BKK and Samui. The limiting factor is the set # of flights each day for Samui airport (30) which is simply and purely the fault of government regulation.

3. Instituting the pricing system you suggest is just the same thing as cutting their prices by 70%. Providing coffee and cakes for passengers costs BKK airways next to nothing.

Why wouldn't Bkk air do that?

1. Most on here don't care about short term tourist's we live here and need a fair deal.

2. What limiting factor 30 flt's a day that's more than enough except peak season which is only short time. Have a look at Samui- U-tapao route lucky to be 30% anytime.

3. They could cut there prices and still make money don't tell me Airasia doesn't make money. If Bkk air offered 2,000bt standby fares they could fill there flight's up but I forgot they are a Boutique airline and that would be losing face.

• Like 1

They could cut there prices and still make money

They could also not cut their prices, and make more money.

Again, why would they bother cutting their prices?

If Bkk air offered 2,000bt standby fares they could fill there flight's up

They used to offer 2000 baht seats and the flights weren't full then either. Do you have any evidence that BKK air has lost customers since they jacked the prices up?

Remember, they can't just add more flights if demand increases. The airport is already operating at its regulatory limit.

Have a look at Samui- U-tapao route lucky to be 30% anytime.

Not really that surprising, since U-Tapao airport is not much closer to Pattaya than Suvarnabhumi airport is. I'm not privy to the information, but if I had to guess then I would say the only reason that BKK Air flies Samui-Pattaya at all is that they are forced to under some kind of govt contract agreement that has been in place since before Suvarn Airport was built. It would make much more sense to just scrap that flight and replace it with another Samui-BKK flight.

Edited by pokerspiv

>If Bkk air offered 2,000bt standby fares they could fill there flight's up

They used to offer 2000 baht seats and the flights weren't full then either. Do you have any evidence that BKK air has lost customers since they jacked the prices up?

Remember, they can't just add more flights if demand increases. The airport is already operating at its regulatory limit.

Not really that surprising, since U-Tapao airport is not much closer to Pattaya than Suvarnabhumi airport is. I'm not privy to the information, but if I had to guess then I would say the only reason that BKK Air flies Samui-Pattaya at all is that they are forced to under some kind of govt contract agreement that has been in place since before Suvarn Airport was built. It would make much more sense to just scrap that flight and replace it with another Samui-BKK flight.

yes bangkok airways are full allot of the time specially in august if you do not have a flight pre booked you shall have trouble getting one.

unfortunalty it is supplu and demand. they push their prices up when it is very busyl( probably help keep customers levels down ) then drop them when it is low season.

right now it is pretty dead for tourists seeing loads of businesses either close early or close complety for low season

i dont know if bangkok airwasy fault or just not many tourists

Im here at the departure area flying out and there are over 100 people in line. I thought it is supposed to be low season right now

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lots of expats head home for their annual visit this time of year.

• Like 1

Im here at the departure area flying out and there are over 100 people in line. I thought it is supposed to be low season right now

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lots of expats head home for their annual visit this time of year.

Been like that for a while, they are doing some renovation work in the check in area.

If Bkk air offered 2,000bt standby fares they could fill there flight's up

The Samui - pattaya route is always full plus it cost less then the bkk - Samui route

Well, I need to go on the dates I chose and they were the prices I was given on the websites. I didn't want to leave it to the last minute in case I couldn't get a flight. Just reporting my findings......

On re-reading your post the 4,190 price was the same as I had (i think) on the website one way. The prices I have stated are return.

4,190 x 6 = 25,140 plus taxes.

just a random check outrageous 9300 return Trip Summary Modify Search
Total: 9300 THB
Departing
  1. Economy
  2. Flight: PG142
  3. Depart: Samui, Thailand (USM)
  4. departure: Fri 21 Jun/14:45
  5. Arrive: Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi), Thailand (BKK)
  6. arrival: Fri 21 Jun/15:50
Arriving
  1. Economy
  2. Flight: PG873
  3. Depart: Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi), Thailand (BKK)
  4. departure: Sun 30 Jun/14:55
  5. Arrive: Samui, Thailand (USM)
  6. arrival: Sun 30 Jun/16:00
Passengers:1
Price Summary:
  • Fare view8900 THB
  • Taxes view400 THB
  • Discount
  • Fees
  • Ancillaries
  • Seats
TOTAL: 9300 THB

Please bare in mind that AirAsia now flies to the Don Muang airport. Ok if you are in Bangkok, not convenient when you have a connecting flight to/from Suvarnabhumi airport.

Friend of mine going back to UK went AA took 9 hours to get from Samui to Suvarnabhumi, not a good start to a long haul flight. Defiantly got people by short and curlies.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my tickets yesterday.

For 3 of us Surat to BKK with Airasia 4,770B.

For the Samui to BKK the price is 27,110B!!!!

I can believe 4,770bt from Surat to Bkk but 27,100bt Samui to Bkk sound's like a story unless you are flying via Hong Kong.

when i checked a few mths ago it was something like Bht4200 from Samui as opposed from Surat 1600Bht

Do they have ' actual police ' at Samui airport ?

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

I have rarely seen them there - but I do not fly that often.

I think that the only time that I have seen them is when 'someone imortant' flies into Samui.

Do they have ' actual police ' at Samui airport ?

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

I have rarely seen them there - but I do not fly that often.

I think that the only time that I have seen them is when 'someone imortant' flies into Samui.

Was just a thought as every airport I have ever been to has real police there apart from Samui

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

Bit off topic, but have any of you been to Surat airport and used a tablet (ipad and such) picture for your flight conformation rather than a hard copy? The picture is from the conformation email.

Edited by mjj

• 2 weeks later...

From news letter.

September Surprise Fare!

Fly with Bangkok Airways in Thailand for ONLY 1,090 THB per leg (excl. Tax) and earn 5 FlyerBonus points. Ticketing Date: Now - August 2, 2013 Traveling Date: September 1-30, 2013

From news letter.

September Surprise Fare!

Fly with Bangkok Airways in Thailand for ONLY 1,090 THB per leg (excl. Tax) and earn 5 FlyerBonus points. Ticketing Date: Now - August 2, 2013 Traveling Date: September 1-30, 2013

I can't find Samui on the list. And flights only available ex BKK

Got the same email regarding there special rate its only from bangkok to chiang mai, phuket, trat. Do not ever expect any deal like that for samui simply because samui is there only cash cow

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bangkok Airways is discounting fares, effective yesterday, on domestic routes, but passengers must purchase them by 2 August.

The promotion sells one-way fares exclusive of airport taxes at Bt1,090 ex-Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Lampang, Sukhothai, Trat, Krabi, and Phuket.

Got the same email regarding there special rate its only from bangkok to chiang mai, phuket, trat. Do not ever expect any deal like that for samui simply because samui is there only cash cow

Actually earlier this year I managed to get return tickets USM-BKK-CNX for 3.000 baht /person. :)

• Like 1