Some Queries From A Tourist

Hi folks,

I'm going to visit Samui a few weeks later with my family. I have some queries:

1. I have checked the car rental rates of Avis and Budget in their websites and found that they are quite expensive. Are there other reputable and reliable companies that offer cheaper rates?

2. I've heard that there are many traffic accidents in Samui. Is that true?

3. How is the mosquito situation in Samui? Would there be many people infecting from Malaria or Denque?

4. Is it easy to rent life jackets for kids?

Appreciate if any one could advise the answers.

Many thanks.

Hi folks,

I'm going to visit Samui a few weeks later with my family.  I have some queries:

1.   I have checked the car rental rates of Avis and Budget in their websites and found that they are quite expensive.  Are there other reputable and reliable companies that offer cheaper rates?

2.   I've heard that there are many traffic accidents in Samui.  Is that true?

3.   How is the mosquito situation in Samui?  Would there be many people infecting from Malaria or Denque?

4.   Is it easy to rent life jackets for kids?

Many thanks.

1. Yes. White Wave Travel 077 413 469 {Mazda Tribute 3 litre Automatic 2000 baht per day}

2. Yes. Mainly involving motorcycles. Don't rent one.

3. No reported Malaria. No reported Dengue.

4. Probably. There are some good operators on Samui. Try http://captaincavemans-divecenter.com/mainpage.html

Edited by valentinoxxx

Hi folks,

I'm going to visit Samui a few weeks later with my family.  I have some queries:

1.  I have checked the car rental rates of Avis and Budget in their websites and found that they are quite expensive.  Are there other reputable and reliable companies that offer cheaper rates?

Budget are not that dear and have proper insurance proper insurance. Get a little Suzuki 4WD for about 1200 to 1500 baht a day, discount for 5 days or more. 4WD is useful on Samui for exploring and in case of rain.

2.  I've heard that there are many traffic accidents in Samui.  Is that true?

Samui has the highest accident rate in Thailand - mostly farang on motorbikes driving on the wrong side of the road!

3.  How is the mosquito situation in Samui?  Would there be many people infecting from Malaria or Denque?

Dengue fever is rife in Thailand and the wet season is the worst time for it. The authorites do little or nothing to prevent it. However if you do contract it the chances are it may just seem like a sudden fever.for a few days - it can be more serious though. The Dengue carrying mozzie bites in daytime ( m ostlyevenings and mornings) so cover up , wear long sleeves and trousers at those times of day and use a good replellant and mossie coils.

4.  Is it easy to rent life jackets for kids?

Sorry can't help you there - but there many watersports establishments there so I don't think it would be a problem.

Many thanks.

Edited by wilko

1. Hmmm... Proper insurance? The insurance for the company mentioned is the same, with a 5000 baht excess.

Budget: Basic 4WD 1450 baht

White Wave: Basic 4WD 700 baht

Budget: Intermediate SUV 2760 baht

WW: Intermediate SUV 2000 baht

2. Maybe that was a tongue in cheek comment. But the high accident rate is mainly due to young Thai males.

3. I haven't heard of any cases on Samui.

4. Ditto.

Edited by valentinoxxx

Hi valentinoxxx & wilko,

Thanks for your advices. Much appreciated.

I would rent a car for days when we travel around the island.

I suppose we should take a taxi when we want to go point to point, say, from Choeng Mon to Chaweng Beach. Do we need to negotiate with the taxi driver for the taxi fee, or we may just rely on the meter?

Are there other convenient & cheaper transport?

Kind regards

Hi valentinoxxx & wilko,

Thanks for your advices.  Much appreciated.

I suppose we should take a taxi when we want to go point to point, say, from Choeng Mon to Chaweng Beach.  Do we need to negotiate with the taxi driver for the taxi fee, or we may just rely on the meter? 

Kind regards

Going from point ot point you can use the "Sawng Tao" - pickup truck buses.

there are loads of yellow and green meter taxis as well on the island; it's best to negotiate your fare first.

re insurance - when you hire the situation is somewhat ambiguous, but try to find out if the cover they sell you is still valid with an international or your national driving licence.

I have had a no excess cover that completely covered me after I dented a hire vehicle (on Samui) but I know of others who have had to shell out after the company claimed they wern't covered after seeing their licence (even though they had accepted it when hiring out the car!).

Find out exactly what you are covered for - dead motorcylcists and their family? Other vehicles? Your vehicle? (many people will have only govt insurance or none at all.

However, at the end of the day with or without cover you arre very unlikely to end up in a situation that can't be ameliorated with a few thousand baht!?!

Hi valentinoxxx & wilko,

Thanks for your advices.  Much appreciated.

I suppose we should take a taxi when we want to go point to point, say, from Choeng Mon to Chaweng Beach.  Do we need to negotiate with the taxi driver for the taxi fee, or we may just rely on the meter? 

Kind regards

The maximum day fare for a ride in a Songthaew(covered 'pickup' with two benches in the back) is 50 baht. 30 baht between 'place names' is normal. No need to negotiate. 10 to 20 baht for a short hop. Night time a little more expensive. Negotiate.

Meter? Bwahahahaha.... There is NO way any of the 'Meter' Taxis on the island will agree to use the meter. At LEAST five more expensive than the Songthaews, though useful if there are a few people in your party and/or it's raining.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes they do have meters. It is concealed behind a plastic cover that can be flipped open. I once "accidentaly" pushed on one and it was running. 120 Baht, the charge was 400. Now the question is, do they register this 120 baht as the trips fare and pocket the rest?

I really hope their will be some competition and i won't feel sorry if they are totally wiped out of business.

It is a really awfull welcome (especially for new tourists) when you arrive in Samui and are treated to their rippoff prices and stupid smiles.

I now use them only when there is absolutely nothing else available, like once in a year.

Edited by Khun Jean

Don't count on taxi meters being wiped out.

There's more coming all the time. Samui's powers that be should really regulate them, since they're a real disgrace.

They have meters indeed. Hidden in the console, but nobody bothers to activate them.

Taxi drivers on Samui are quite simply complete robbing bastards!

It is my opinion that the major cause of the traffic problems on Samui is the fact that there are far too many taxi's and Songtoews. Sure we need some, but not 100's. All the jams in Chaweng are caused mostly by these guys driving slowly, stopping and asking all the time even when someone isn't even looking for a taxi

If there were less taxis, they could lower the price, be busy most of the day rather than driving up and down chaweng constantly causing traffic mayhem.

If the taxi issues of Samui and Phuket are not sorted out it will have an effect on tourist arrivals. The first person you meet when you arrive is the taxi driver, if he/she treats you badly and tries to rip you off, that sticks in your mind.

The drivers have also killed/maimed many people on the Islands, and all they do is drive off as quickly as possible. They should be easy to trace, but police really don't seem bothered.

hi xyz,

so far, i think the advice you've received has been spot on. one thing to add though. if you're staying on lamai beach, don't check anything into the safety deposit box. they regularly get "robbed", and the owners won't do anything except give you a few nights free stay.

good luck.

hi xyz,

so far, i think the advice you've received has been spot on. one thing to add though. if you're staying on lamai beach, don't check anything into the safety deposit box. they regularly get "robbed", and the owners won't do anything except give you a few nights free stay.

good luck.

Never heard of that one before ... :o . Which hotels are you talking about ??? I know it can happen on some hotels , that's why i never use a safe unless in is in room and has a number i can set . If you put your money in the hotelsafe , it isn't really a "safe" . Just a closet with a lock on it is used in a lot of hotels . I never heard of the money stolen from it ....

All the rest is about true ...

Cars , con't know about it . Accidents , many many many ... most by Thais themselves , but a lot of tourists also . This is due to the high speeds on the roads which are very curvy and sand is all over the place . Nobody cares about traffic rules ( which is the way i like it , but you need to take care of yourself , no further comment , got them before ... ) .

Dengue , never heard cases really got them from Samui themselves . Surrounding islands have outbreaks of dengue once a while and people get back to Samui and get the disease there . The mosquitos which transfer dengue are found on Samui , so outbreak could occur ... not much you can do about them because these mosquitos bite you in daytime ... not night . There is no malaria on Samui or surrounding island as far as i know off .