Muay Thai (where Can I Find In Bangkok?)

The_Moog

Can anyone please tell me where I can learn Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) in the Sukhumvit/Ploenchit area?

It should be a school with an English speaking teacher, and not be one with tigerish little Thai geezers who want to smack around a Farang - as I am quite old and don't want to get pummelled too much.

The Moog Thanks You

Best thing if you havn't done much b4 is to find somewhere where other farangs go as if you don't know the basics you will find it difficult to understand what they are trying to tell you and it is the little things they teach you that make all the difference.

Remember first of all technique is everything !

One place in BKK near Khao San Road may be worth a try as there will be a lot of farangs that can help you understand if you cant understand the teacher.

If your at the top of Khao San Road with gullivers on your left hand side walk around gullivers to the left until you come to the kodak camera shop then look across the road and cross over there will be a little lane on the opposite side of the road, walk down this lane about 20 yards its on the right.

Once you have the techniques best to go straight into sparring as this is where you really learn it fast what you can do and when to do it, they won't beat you up but if you have the money get your own shinguards (with a foot guard) and headguard etc.

If you are worried about injuries always warm up & stretch (eg skipping) before doing anything, also buy some hand wraps to prevent wrist injuries and get some ankle supports & USE THEM !

It will take you a few months solid to start getting anyway so don't be put off if you have a bad day or feel like your going backwards sometimes it's best jst to have a rest from it. If you want to pick it up quickly though you should go at least 3 times a week.

And if they're is something your stuck on, practice on a bag after the class is finished. Don't give up it's great fun once your fit !! And if you have done any boxing b4 use it in sparring the thais will hate you !

• 7 months later...

I have done both boxing and muay thai, I think it boils down to how

much time/energy a fighter has to train.

A thai fighter has a full plate of tools to sharpen - punches, knees, elbows,

kicks and also the defense against them.

A hands only western boxer only has 1 tool to sharpen - his hands - and they

get very sharp.

Get 2 videos, one a Muay thai championship fight, then a western boxing

championship and watch them back to back and you'll see the difference

as far as the punches go.

I have done both boxing and muay thai,  I think it boils down to how

much time/energy a fighter has to train.

A thai fighter has a full plate of tools to sharpen - punches, knees, elbows,

kicks and also the defense against them.

A hands only western boxer only has 1 tool to sharpen - his hands - and they

get very sharp.

Get 2 videos, one a Muay thai championship fight, then a western boxing

championship and watch them back to back and you'll see the difference

as far as the punches go.

I have also trained in both , and in both countries etc. My point was , these tools are the same , it's up to the fighter if he wishes to utilise them.

Samart Payakaroon trained and won world titles in Muay Thai , he trained at Sityodtong where I had the pleasure to train once , he then crossed over to win the WBA lightweight ( I think) world title , using the same punches.

But I take your point about dilution alongside the rest of the arsenal. :o

Vinnie was a tough old nut , I'll never forget the sight of him with that neck brace , looking like an android. You must have been at a high level to mix with those names , respect!

I think the style that does best in K1 / UFC cross overs tends to be a mix of Greco Roman Wrestling and Gracie Jiu jitsu , boxers are "done" when they are on the floor in a clinch/lock , Tysons's only hope is for the big punch , would be entertaining nonetheless!

Chon.

I was an amature and just one day happened to switch over to the pro gym

where i met all these guys.

I was not doing it for a career, just for the street.

--------

I like UFC / groundfighting BUT if you need to fight 2 guys on the street at one

time its pretty useless.

Are you Thai or US?

The Moog,

If you have some time on your hands and you've never done Muay Thai before I would suggest enrolling on one of the better-known schools that offer fixed course schedules and have trainers that speak decent English. The National Stadium (close to BTS) should be a good bet. If you don't mind venturing out a bit further, give the Muay Thai Insitute (Rangist) or Fairtex (Bangplee/Samut Prakan) a try. Sor. Vorapin near Kaosan Rd. is probably a good gym but the others I mentioned are better-known and may have a better student/instructor ratio. Plus, Sor. Vorapin and others like it are really no cheaper than the bigger international places mentioned above. As chonabot once mentioned in a previous Muay Thai thread, you'll take less abuse from these places than from the smaller local camps. Small camps can be great fun but generally the guys there will beat on you as they do on each other. Take care!

Chonabot, Tyson looks ripped and FAST, best shape i have seen him in years.

Its gonna be excellent watching those fights. I hear he wants to fight Tarver also.

One thing I dont understand in K1, why dont these guys try to block the

leg kick to the thigh/syatic nerve? It cant be against the rules.

I am very impressed with the K1 kicks, but why did they get rid of the elbow?

Cant say I blame them though :o

Thaiboxer, How much $$ do the classes run? Is this another case of ripping off

falangs, thais paying next to nothing but falangs get reamed?

Is there any gyms that train just for the love of the sport and not $$$. I dont

mind shelling out some $$$ to help the gym, but i dont want to go into a

place thats like a rip-off kung <deleted> or karate or tai chi type operation designed

to make $$ pumping peoples egos while they in turn get crushed on the street.

My plan is to show up in Lumpini on a friday night and politely ask some of the top

camps to take me in.

I call it "Donating my body to science" Boxing is a science isnt it :o

thanks

nam

Nam Kao,

How much are these places?...That's a tough one since the bigger international camps (like Fairtex, Muay Thai Institute, etc) usually have fixed prices of around 300-400 baht/day for all-day training (no food or facilities). The big camps probably won't bargain with you since there are always people (tourists mainly) willing to pay the high fees. Of course, you may run into a place that will work with you on the price but that's most likely going to be a smaller local camp. I'm sure there are some camps out there that will let you train for free and you can just contribute a bit every now and then. Best thing to do is take a long a Thai friend who can explain to them in Thai what you're looking for. A few points to remember: if you're considering serious Muay Thai training with the possibility of actually competing for your camp, then the owners may take you on at no charge since you can make money for them. If you want to do Muay Thai for fun but you live here and don't make Western wages, they may be nice and take you on for free anyway as mentioned above (I think older, well-established camps that don't need money and aren't into the business end of it so much will more likely take you at very little or no charge). Also, English may not be a luxury you will have in abundance at these small camps so be prepared for some possible language barriers. Any camp that advertises on the net will most likely be looking to ream some Western boys with high fees since they're running them more like a business. Contrary to that, the small neighborhood camps (often in front of the owner's house) will likely not be so business oriented and will consider low/no fees.

The info above is from a book I recently bought plus some of my personal experiences in visiting a couple camps and talking with some of the owners/trainers. I hope this helps you out! There are tons of Muay Thai camps around Bangkok and the provinces. Check out www.muaythai2000.com and click on "Muay Thai Camps In Thailand" in the upper right hand corner of the homepage. Not everything listed there is accurate but with some help from a Thai buddy, you should find a suitable place soon. Good idea also to check with people at Lumpini if you happen to be there. Word of mouth will guide you to a good set of trainers. Chok dee!

Chonobot, hey I am 39, still feel excellent though, must be the beer :o

I am training a guy right now for an august Toughman fight and he is 44.

I got him started 2 years ago, never boxed before, now he is addicted like

myself. The gym he trains at cant believe the progress he has made.

They laughed at him when he first walked in, now 30% of the gym avoids

sparring him because he has turned into a "punisher".

I think he might win this whole tournament or at least place high. He says

he has never felt better in his whole life.

http://www.toughmancontest.com/