Mae Hong Son Loop

bkkbarnstormer

Having spent nearly 5 years in Thailand and been to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai 2-3 times, I travelled the Mae Hong Son loop last week. Wow, what fantastic scenery. This time of year, the skies are typically grey with a few sunny intervals and a good chance of rain, particularly early evening. When at elevation, it is also possible to be driving through or above the clouds. The benefit at this time of year is the lush green scenery, particularly the paddy fields

I travelled it clockwise. Took 4-5 hours total driving time from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son via Mae Sariang. 2 hours from Mae Hong son to Pai and 2 hours from Pai to Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai-Mae Sariang

After the first hour out of Chiang Mai, we diverted to Doi Inthanon, the highest point in Thailand. Numerous beautiful waterfalls. Our favourites were Mae Ya and Watchirathan. Mae Klang also nice

From Chaing Mai to Mae Sariang the road is quiet, beautiful and full of sweeping curves. Would make a great motorcycle road. We stopped briefly at Ob Luang national park (Thailand's Grand Canyon?!) which has a small bridge about 100m above a babbling river

Mae Sariang Mae Hong Son

Road gets narrower and more windy. Not for those who suffer from travel sickness. So many places to stop for photos!

Pai

Lovely relaxed place with a real Alpine feel

Nong beer bar at the traffic lights in the centre of town offers amazing value and very tasty Thai food. At the traffic lights, It is diagonally opposite from Black Canyon Coffee which is a very quaint place and not like any other Black Canyon Coffee in Thailand. Thai Country restaurant also offers some of the best fruit smoothies I have found in Thailand

We stayed at Phu Pai Resort about 3km from the centre of town and this is one of the best value and beautiful resorts I have stayed at in Thailand (and I have stayed at a few in my time!) Large Individual cottages set amidst paddy fields and unitnerrupted views of the distant hills - stunning!