Blind Vendor Falls Into Bangkok Drain

george

Blind vendor falls into drain

BANGKOK: -- A blind lottery seller suffered leg injuries after plunging into a drain with a broken cover in Klong Toey district yesterday.

Pinij Katlanga, 44, was the second person to fall victim to the city's notorious drains in less than a week. The first was Chanthima Jariyathamwong, a Mathayom 6 student, who slipped into a drain while walking on Sam Sen road near Kiakkai junction on Monday.

The first accident prompted Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin to order all 50 districts to inspect the covers of about 400,000 drains across the city.

Mr Pinij was rushed to Chulalongkorn Hospital after the accident which took place in front of Theptarin Hospital on Rama IV Road. X-rays showed he had fractured a bone in his right leg. He was released from hospital last night.

Mr Apirak and Klong Toey district chief Chaitawat Yoosamran, who visited Mr Pinij at the hospital, said the city administration would pay all his medical bills as well as give him compensation.

Mr Apirak said Mr Pinij was free to change hospitals if he wanted to.

At the same time, the governor ordered the Klong Toey District Office to provide a vehicle and driver for Mr Pinij until he could walk normally.

He also instructed city officials to speed up the examination of city drains to prevent any further accidents.

Meanwhile, the city administration yesterday delivered 60,000 baht in compensation to Ms Chanthima's family for Monday's accident. The payment was made by Sukit Nimmahaeminda, Mr Apirak's secretary and Dusit district chief.

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-15

The drain covers are certainly a danger here. My wife just blindly (no pun intended) walks over the top of them even when it's plain to see the covers are in a obvious state of dissrepair. It certainly wont be the last time this sort of accident happens and it's such an easy thing to avoid.

I did see yesterday where the guys had repaired a whole section of drain but where they had replaced the pavers around the new section the recent downpour had washed all the fill out from under them and they were just hanging there with no support and a very deep hole underneath. Very dangerous indeed!

I once trod on a concrete drain cover in Loei, and it was skew-wif, and it pivoted when I put my weight on it. My leg went in, ....then of course it went back up the other way once the weight had gone off it - , - it was like a man trap. I couldn't move.

-- "Mr Pinij was rushed to Chulalongkorn Hospital after the accident which took place in front of Theptarin Hospital on Rama IV Road"

What's the deal with Theptarin Hospital --- can't they treat an injured person???. This guy was hauled to "nearby" Chula hospital. Imagine the agony this guy endured in his journey thru BKK traffic. Amazing Thailand!

--  "Mr Pinij was rushed to Chulalongkorn Hospital after the accident which took place in front of Theptarin Hospital on Rama IV Road"

What's the deal with Theptarin Hospital --- can't they treat an injured person???.  This guy was hauled to "nearby" Chula hospital.  Imagine the agony this guy endured in his journey thru BKK traffic.  Amazing Thailand!

I wondered exactly the same thing - I know Theptarin Hospital well, as my children were born there - it's an excellent hospital, and it has an A&E section on the ground floor at the rear, with an Ambulance entrance. Odd....

Regarding the two people mentioned in the story, I think we can only applaud the prompt acton of the government in providing compensation and in covering medical costs and laying on transport as well...presumably without anyone asking in the first place - very impressive - of course the accidents should not have happened in the first place, but I defy anyone to say their particualr city is perfect - especially Asian cities - try walking around Singapore or Malaysia if you want to find out about dangerous open drains or faulty drain covers - Bangkok is not alone in this.

Regarding the compensation etc, can you imagine any western government coming out with that without having to be sued??

Congrats to Khun Apirak and his staff - well done. :o