Justice For Sale, Freedom For A Fee

george

Justice for Sale, Freedom for a Fee

How much does it cost to bribe a Thai judge?

By Warina Punyawan

Editor-In-Chief, Pattaya Daily News

PATTAYA: -- Cynics have long claimed that justice in Thailand is a marketable commodity like almost anything else. A current issue involving a wealthy elderly Swede, accused of multiple cases of sexual abuse of children, financially manipulative lawyers perverting the course of justice and a greedy adulterous judge, have cast a ‘cloud of corruptive gloom’ over the Courts of Justice in Thailand.

Mr. Solberg [Alias] [60], a Swedish national, was charged on multiple counts of sexual abuse after having had sexual relations with underage boys in Pattaya, Thailand. Along with two other foreigners, Mr. Solberg was arrested and remanded in custody in 2009, following an extensive police investigation.

Seeking representation, Mr. Solberg hired a lawyer from a firm located in Soi R, Moo.10, South Pattaya. Miss Wanida [alias], who runs the legal practitioners, had tried to bail her client out of remand more than 10 times, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

Allegedly by chance, Miss Wanida was introduced to another woman Miss Linda [alias] by an associate law firm. Miss Linda was supposed to be very powerful woman and ‘close’ to a judge in the Court of Appeals, who revealed that she may be able to help Miss Wanida and her client.

Using Miss Linda’s connections in an attempt to gain her client bail, Miss Wanida, a lawyer and Mr. Nopadol [alias] (an intermediary for Miss Linda) signed a strong MOU [Memorandum of understanding] regarding procedures and payment. In using Mr. Nopadol (for a minor fee), both Miss Linda and the aforementioned Judge were thus concealed from any involvement in the case.

Full story: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/09/05/justice-for-sale-freedom-for-a-fee/

-- PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2010-09-05

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Please keep this topic civil without insults etc. It is illegal in Thailand to talk bad about judges and courts.

Breach of this rule will result in post deletion and immediate suspension/ban.

Thanks for your cooperation!

/Admin team

In the original article in another [Thai] newspaper that was first to publish it the alias used was Mr K.

Which made it even easier to find out exactly who it is that they are referring to in the articles.

(The man on the left in the picture, here with a blurred picture. Original image posted in the news was not blurred.)

Unmarried upper class gentleman from my nations capital.

".............investigating both Miss Linda and the judge on many similar accusations involving more than 70 million baht in bribery payments."

:rolleyes:

The sewage system of Pattaya smells a bit. Might be a crack here and there; they should fix it.

LaoPo

All I can say is that when people complain about the criminal activity in Thailand or the not so desirable tourists all I can say is... "What do you expect?" Money talks and all the articles detailing events are very, very inviting to some.

If I were part of the monied up riff-raff set and needed a place to expand, lie low, or party... Thailand would be very, very high on my list. Lots of sunshine, variety of food and people ready to lend a helping hand... paradise.

TheWalkingMan

I am not a seasoned member here - but if I may - I thought that some civility was here - no hang-em-high - all that - but nothing in this is factual if you have to use alias' - and if this pervert has been indicted before and has a past news piece - then why all the clandestine wording

if there are corrupt judges and this guy has committed a crime and not punished - then the world needs to know the facts and show to the world what the Thai justice system is all about - expose them for what they are

• Like 2

One of my nephews studying law told me that the student who scores the highest score in the finals remains the senior judge of his year for life.

He will automatically become President of the Court in later years, one reason for this is to prevent jockeying and possible financial incentives for positions.

".............investigating both Miss Linda and the judge on many similar accusations involving more than 70 million baht in bribery payments."

:rolleyes:

The sewage system of Pattaya smells a bit. Might be a crack here and there; they should fix it.

LaoPo

Very strange! To talk about the dark side of LOS illegal? PM appears white as snow. I can smell that fishy red herring. Is it just me?

Hypocrites are everywhere. Thai visa is full of them. Suddenly a story in which a lousy Pattaya journalist (although journalist is probably not the right word, lets call him or her a person with ulterior motives) makes a lot of noise after a Foreigner is freed on bail. He might or might not jump or have jumped bail, but that is the system. No such voices however when red shirt leaders and 300 plus other political prisoners are held while their counterparts walk the streets.<div><br></div><div>When thaksin complains about justice for sale, the Nation and Thai visa editors believe that Thai Justice is in existence.  No complaints either when a person tries to kill a number of protestors by driving his car in them. When the court simply sends him home, no mention of it at all. Suddenly a foreigner is in play and now injustice is done.</div><div><br></div><div>Just get a life,. Most people use the system to their advantage. If something has been fishy, provide proof no gossip.</div><div>Good luck to the farang. People are innocent until proven guilty how horrendous a crime may look at first glance.</div>

One of my nephews studying law told me that the student who scores the highest score in the finals remains the senior judge of his year for life.

He will automatically become President of the Court in later years, one reason for this is to prevent jockeying and possible financial incentives for positions.

1. Is the position on;y open to males?

2. I trust there is not an auction involved?

Of course the chance to have a corrupt judge is possible anywhere. I have seen some strange decisions during my 26 years here, but I have not heard any lawyer ever hint that a judge was for sale. If this is true, it is too sad, as society must have some faith that at least a judge will be impartial and not for sale.

Yawn - anything new, anywhere?

Those who get enraged about this story are either naive or new to Thailand (and similar countries).

well - I am not new to Thailand - but I am enraged - for one that sort of news is why many people across the world consider Thailand to be a cesspool of filthy perverted people living here

If the Thais would change that image by prosecuting the people and judges involved - it would be a good start to acceptance

for now - when I say where I live - everyone relates Thailand to sex industry and sex tourists

This is nothing new , look at how many cases have disapered due to rich people being involved .. Corruption is everywhere in thailand and will nver change untill the the top acts

Every crime in thailand has a price , from dealing drugs to murder ... Why do you see top end mercs at bangkok police stations , or the 7 series bmw at chewang police station in koh samui ? If you have the money here u are invisable ..

• Like 1

Hypocrites are everywhere. Thai visa is full of them. Suddenly a story in which a lousy Pattaya journalist (although journalist is probably not the right word, lets call him or her a person with ulterior motives) makes a lot of noise after a Foreigner is freed on bail. He might or might not jump or have jumped bail, but that is the system. No such voices however when red shirt leaders and 300 plus other political prisoners are held while their counterparts walk the streets.<div><br></div><div>When thaksin complains about justice for sale, the Nation and Thai visa editors believe that Thai Justice is in existence.  No complaints either when a person tries to kill a number of protestors by driving his car in them. When the court simply sends him home, no mention of it at all. Suddenly a foreigner is in play and now injustice is done.</div><div><br></div><div>Just get a life,. Most people use the system to their advantage. If something has been fishy, provide proof no gossip.</div><div>Good luck to the farang. People are innocent until proven guilty how horrendous a crime may look at first glance.</div>

Good point - the crime - or not - is not important here - it is the account of how the system works that is worth noting.....and there is little or no point in singling out Pattaya.

Edited by Deeral

Of course the chance to have a corrupt judge is possible anywhere. I have seen some strange decisions during my 26 years here, but I have not heard any lawyer ever hint that a judge was for sale. If this is true, it is too sad, as society must have some faith that at least a judge will be impartial and not for sale.

It is laughable that the author of the article uses a foreigner as an example when such foreigner involved incidents represent an insignificant number of such cases. Perhaps a review and reminder (as well as an introduction to the many newbies around since the IMF forced opened the gates in 1997) regarding the Saudi gem scandal would better highlight the issue.

• Like 1

All good points man !!

Wow....are those balls I can see on Thai Visa. I know they're small but just imagine if they actually got bigger and really reported the truth and let people actually say what's on their mind. That would be amazing and people like myself might actually start to believe some of the crap on here. Or is this just the Nation that outstanding newspaper.......LOL

• Like 2

Mr. Solberg [Alias] [60], a Swedish national used the wrong lawyer or fake lawyer that lay to him. ( It's many lawyers or fake lawyers cite the judge to get the money.)

No any judge in Thailand corrupts!!! Only bad lawyer or fake lawyer (Miss Wanida, Linda and Mr Nopadol lay to him to get the money as they said it's a bribery for a judge)

Once they said about judge like this, in Thailand it's against the law for sure. The police will get them NOW, once go get them then don't forget to keep their bribe.