Justice For Sale, Freedom For A Fee

george

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is laughable that the author of the article uses a foreigner as an example when such foreigner involved incidents represent an insignificant number of such cases. Perhaps a review and reminder (as well as an introduction to the many newbies around since the IMF forced opened the gates in 1997) regarding the Saudi gem scandal would better highlight the issue.

I agree. Surely if the accused were Thai instead of Swedish it likely wouldn't of even made it to the papers let alone headlining news.

"close to the judge"

that did make me smile.

Pattaya, AKA the bits left in the bottom of your morning coffee.

The story isnt perse about Pattaya it is about corruption of Judges.

But someone from Derby mocking another area is a case of the pot calling the kettle.

Of course the chance to have a corrupt judge is possible anywhere. I have seen some strange decisions during my 26 years here, but I have not heard any lawyer ever hint that a judge was for sale. If this is true, it is too sad, as society must have some faith that at least a judge will be impartial and not for sale.

Yes - corruption can be everywhere.

Sadly, there are cases of 'strange' results from some court cases. I have been a witness on at least two and the lawyers said that money would influence the case.

However, please remember that there are a lot more good, honest, 'trying to make the system work' judges out there as well. Unfortunately honest work does not make the news.

Edited by Tropicalevo

This kind of story happens everywhere in the world ; what is remarkable is that in some countries, like Thaïland, it sometimes emerges in the news . In other countries it just never comes out, but it does happen too; it may not be money, but it may involve elections, a ministerial position, an official decoration , a great job for a spouse or son . Or money on a Swiss account.

Another form of corruption is discrimination, for instance on gender, women getting a tap on the hand and men ten years in jail for the same .Or racial , in Western Europe nowadays the 50 + white male is the obvious scape goat while the right kind of immigrants can appear twenty times in court and invariably goes out scott-free. In such case, judging where the wind blows won't bring money in return, but esteem from peers which in due time will bring its reward in the form of a fat promotion.Not judjing PC would bring misery and a ruined career.

I trust and esteem French judges as much as Renault mechanics.

• Like 1

Mr. Solberg [Alias] [60], a Swedish national used the wrong lawyer or fake lawyer that lay to him. ( It's many lawyers or fake lawyers cite the judge to get the money.)

No any judge in Thailand corrupts!!! Only bad lawyer or fake lawyer (Miss Wanida, Linda and Mr Nopadol lay to him to get the money as they said it's a bribery for a judge)

Once they said about judge like this, in Thailand it's against the law for sure. The police will get them NOW, once go get them then don't forget to keep their bribe.

whoa up big fella,,, did he get out of jail or not? how to 'fake' that?

with lots of money, must have earned lots merit, or burnd incense the lucky way, now can use 'merit' points.

no need for critical or disgusting remarks, the OP already is

I am not a seasoned member here - but if I may - I thought that some civility was here - no hang-em-high - all that - but nothing in this is factual if you have to use alias' - and if this pervert has been indicted before and has a past news piece - then why all the clandestine wording

if there are corrupt judges and this guy has committed a crime and not punished - then the world needs to know the facts and show to the world what the Thai justice system is all about - expose them for what they are

Using aliases is standard practice when reporting on Corruption and Malfeasence here in the Land of Censorship and Criminal Libel.. Due to the medieval Libel laws, both Civil and criminal, never does a Journalist "Name Names" as we would expect in any Western country where Investigative Journalism is used to keep things like this in check. There is no fear of exposure, as if you try it, you are immediately dragged into court for Libel and Slandering the offended party.. even when the truth slaps you in the face and is undeniable. Only AFTER actual Charges are laid can any names ever be used openly.

CS

Let's see, how can we make light of this......

Ummmmm....at least we know there actually IS an easy way out somewhere in this god forsaken world??

We can get things done faster?

At least we can put a face to the donation we're giving?

At least we know our money is going to put food on the table for at least one family?

We know what we're paying for?

We're contributing directly to the Thai economy?

At least the rate in Pattaya is 25% cheaper than in Bangkok? Therefore it's better to have your trial in Pattaya?

What else is new in Thailand?

This is the only post I can do, otherwise I may get censored and taken out.

Just a question. Like in the U.S., is there a bar association for lawyers here? Uhh, no, not that type of 'bar'. You know, to be a respectable lawyer (crap, did I just say that?). Really though, is there a regulating board for lawyers? I know for real estate agents there definitely isn't. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can represent anyone to buy or sell land here. That's why there is such a huge spike in land costs over the past few years.

Oh gee, how much does it cost to bribe a Thai Judge?

The point being that venality and greed are as common over the Earth as sparrows and although I hear the mutterings of disdain for Thai law from hypocritical bourgeois westerners the fact is that justice in the minimal acceptable degree is only possible where the citizenry ordains it and pays the price to maintain it and that is not happening so the rich and powerful and well connected are left free to sell it. That is the way it is here, there and most everywhere.

Edited by george
Off topic politics removed /Mod

I always suspected this was the case. The system is as rotten as bad eggs, the justice system there for the benefit of the wealthy and the

victims being left high and dry.

Makes me feel sick to the stomach. Who are the worst criminals, the perpetrators

or those who are meant to protect us from these swine, but instead for a fee are

protecting the criminals and offering them safe conduct around the legal

system?

God had mercy on us all.

Edited by Beetlejuice

<br />
<br />Hypocrites are everywhere. Thai visa is full of them. Suddenly a story in which a lousy Pattaya journalist (although journalist is probably not the right word, lets call him or her a person with ulterior motives) makes a lot of noise after a Foreigner is freed on bail. He might or might not jump or have jumped bail, but that is the system. No such voices however when red shirt leaders and 300 plus other political prisoners are held while their counterparts walk the streets.<div><br></div><div>When thaksin complains about justice for sale, the Nation and Thai visa editors believe that Thai Justice is in existence. &nbsp;No complaints either when a person tries to kill a number of protestors by driving his car in them. When the court simply sends him home, no mention of it at all. Suddenly a foreigner is in play and now injustice is done.</div><div><br></div><div>Just get a life,. Most people use the system to their advantage. If something has been fishy, provide proof no gossip.</div><div>Good luck to the farang. People are innocent until proven guilty how horrendous a crime may look at first glance.</div><br />
<br /><br />Good point - the crime - or not - is not important here - it is the account of how the system works that is worth noting.....and there is little or no point in singling out Pattaya.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm sure this not only happen in Pattaya, but all over this wonderful country, but let's not forget there is good and bad in every country and system.

well - I am not new to Thailand - but I am enraged - for one that sort of news is why many people across the world consider Thailand to be a cesspool of filthy perverted people living here

If the Thais would change that image by prosecuting the people and judges involved - it would be a good start to acceptance

for now - when I say where I live - everyone relates Thailand to sex industry and sex tourists

Stop beating about the bush. Why are YOU here?

This place isn't going to change anytime soon and certainly not because a small group of foreigners are offended that they have taken up residence next to a whorehouse. Maybe some more research would have prevented this assault on their high morals?

The lawyer requested bail for the 11th time and the requirements for his bail met the criteria.

Naturally fees and charges are paid to the lawyers representing him. The Judge made his decision. There is no proof that any "facilitation fees" were paid to anyone.

He is now out on bail. If his passport was returned he could leave the country, he would lose his bail money.

If he stays in Thailand he will still have to face court. He has a way out.

I am not a seasoned member here - but if I may - I thought that some civility was here - no hang-em-high - all that - but nothing in this is factual if you have to use alias' - and if this pervert has been indicted before and has a past news piece - then why all the clandestine wording

if there are corrupt judges and this guy has committed a crime and not punished - then the world needs to know the facts and show to the world what the Thai justice system is all about - expose them for what they are

Well, the law concerning "contempt of court" is very severe in Thailand, as is the law on defamation. I am not a lawyer, but from what I understand "contempt of court" is pretty much anything that offends a judge. This is one reason why, once a case has entered the court system, the newspapers stop printing anything about it until the verdict is handed down. Moreover, I don't thing the truth of the offending statement is any defense in the case of "contempt of court." Like the lese majeste law, and unlike libel or defamation law, it doesn't matter if what you've written is true. Actually, I suspect that if what you wrote is true you'll be punished worse. Kind of like the situation in France a hundred years ago with the Dreyfus case -- the "honor" of the French Army was at stake, so it was terrible to point out they were lying, corrupt, hypocrites.

This story about corruption and bribery concerns a Farang criminal. I wonder if there are any similar stories about Thai politicians or businesspeople? :whistling:

Of course, publishing a story like this about a Thai politician or businessperson would probably be bad for the reporters health.

I read the whole article. First off, I commend Ms Warina for having the courage and smarts to investigate/write it, and Pattaya Daily News for having the courage to publish it. Amaaaaayzzzzzzzing! Along with the cigarette butt fake cop extortionists in downtown Bkk, we'd like to see more of these types of investigative reporting. Especially if they're good quality with photos (as those two reports are) - but most of all .....WE'D LIKE TO SEE THE CHEATS GETTING BUSTED.

Ok, it's bad enough that alleged pedophiles are skipping out the back door of the jail, but let's see the corrupt Thai authorities get busted. They must have been doing such corrupt practices for months/years! It's only in such rare articles that some evidence comes forth. If the bribes amount to tens of millions of baht, then too, the fines should be commensurate .....plus long hard jail time (but it can't happen here in Thailand).

I feel sorry for the chap who blew the whistle - and who's biz was subsequently destroyed by vindictive authorities. He became concerned initially, because of a broken heart/jealousy. He later spilled the beans on the whole mess because he and his business was being hounded and harassed.

Weird twist, but if the corrupt woman lawyer and the corrupt judge had just done their sexual escapades behind closed doors (in the judge's chamber, perchance?), then none of the revelations would have come forth.

For a parody of a corrupt Thai lawyer speaking with Thaksin (about allowing him and his family to go the the Beijing Olympics), go here and scroll down to the first brief chapter.

In Kazakhstan, allegations of corruption in the judiciary are frequently heard but it is illegal to talk of such things while in Kazakhstan. When supporters of anti-government protesters in Kazakhstan try to talk about such things online, they are banned from doing so, which hobbles their ability make their case for supporting the protesters, for example on online forums. About Kazakhstan.

Sorry for the change of subject.

If anyone here really believes the Thai court system is any more corrupt than the US, Australian, UK, German etc court systems then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of reality in this area.

The court system corruption in Thailand is simply more open and accessible.

This is nothing new. Many SE Asian countries' judges are for sale, as well as a good handful of western ones. The question I have is, will they soon offer some sort of incentive "package deals" i.e. "2 for 1" packages, discount coupons, ability to use foreign credit cards, etc??? If you're gonna accept payola, do it right!