Which Mesh Jacket?

dollarman

Can anyone give me any advice which of these 4 jackets would be best for Thailand.

Which one do you got?

I need one that is pretty safe and it needs to have a lot of airflow. Cortech seem to be the safest jacket, but it seems so hot on the picture since there is all sort of pockets in the chest area. Has anyone used this one in Thailand? I read all of positive information about the Joe Rocket, but it does not seem very safe to me.

1. Scorpion Hat Trick Mesh/Textile Jacket

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/hat_trick_mesh_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

2. Tour Master Intake Air Series 2 Jacket

http://www.newenough.com/street/jackets_and_vests/mesh_jackets/tour_master/intake_air_series_2_motorcycle_jacket.html

3. Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Mesh Jacket

http://www.newenough.com/street/jackets_and_vests/mesh_jackets/joe_rocket/phoenix_5_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

4. Cortech by Tour Master GX Air Series 2 Jacket

http://www.newenough.com/street/jackets_and_vests/mesh_jackets/cortech_by_tour_master/gx_air_series_2_motorcycle_jacket.html

All of these jackets got removable inner rainproof lining and they are available in high visibility colours.

Please no leather vs mesh discussion.

Transport has been arranged so no need for tax and shipping discussion either;)

Safest and coolest?... Got me googleing as I have a bad habit of riding jacketless in this heat ... Maybe these fit the bill as being safer? ... but at twice the price of those you listed ... and not the most stylish but one or two might scrape in as acceptable . . (and they do kelvar mesh jeans too) ... Anyone tried these "tailor made for you" mesh kelvar jackets?

http://motoport.worldsecuresystems.com/_catalog_106903/Air_Mesh_Jackets

Alpinestars are popular in the North.

The T-Breeze Air Flow is what I use & would recommend.

I was wearing a Joe Rocket Ballistic in Hongsa, Laos in 2006 when I dumped my bike & broke the humerus head in 3 places. So in my experience the Joe Rocket Ballistic does not offer enough real protection. The Alpinestars is much better.

Alpinestars are popular in the North.

The T-Breeze Air Flow is what I use & would recommend.

I was wearing a Joe Rocket Ballistic in Hongsa, Laos in 2006 when I dumped my bike & broke the humerus head in 3 places. So in my experience the Joe Rocket Ballistic does not offer enough real protection. The Alpinestars is much better.

+1 Hard to beat Alpinestars.

Personally if you are not 100% sure of your size i would buy here in Thailand. Panda and ninja250 shop have the 'Bering'brand in stock from 3800b. Quality jackets (not copies) 3 xl was to small for me but then i am a fat bugger. Then of course you have Paddock. if you look in the cheap corner they have some Komine jackets from 3,500b. they also have some perforated leather jackets for 9995b.

other wise i would go for the Tourmaster jacket. I've also been looking at that one biggrin.gif

After much thought over the summer, I decided on the Bohn body armour, tops and bottoms. Tried numerous mesh jackets, and felt them to be too warm.

you will get a silly tan and get sun burned also if you dont where a sweater on top of the bohn body armour..

Personally if you are not 100% sure of your size i would buy here in Thailand. Panda and ninja250 shop have the 'Bering'brand in stock from 3800b. Quality jackets (not copies) 3 xl was to small for me but then i am a fat bugger. Then of course you have Paddock. if you look in the cheap corner they have some Komine jackets from 3,500b. they also have some perforated leather jackets for 9995b.

other wise i would go for the Tourmaster jacket. I've also been looking at that one biggrin.gif

I bought my Komine jacket from Paddock last year for about 3,500 baht.

It has been through the washing machine once (and needs it again) and is ok most of the time.

The only problem I have had with it is the zip.

The zip has fine teeth and until I replaced it the jacket had a habit of pulling apart from the bottom to the top making it hard to take off. I am looking for another zip with bigger teeth but it is hard to find out in the sticks.

I was in Richco Chiangmai today and see that he has some mesh jackets with airbags. Operates with a rip cord attached to the bike. The jacket has the typical soft "armour" in the elbows and shoulders and a rain liner for around 8500.

He also had airbag leather vests, however I fail to see the use for one unless you were to wear it over a protective jacket

I have both a Rivett and an Alpine Stars mesh jacket.The Alpine S is great, not too hot but has no rain liner.

It is probably a knock off copy from here? http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/dainese-alpine-star-riding-gear-in-tachilek-t3673.html

Amazing the range of bike gear that is available there now and a lot is genuine as seems everything is made in China now.

Ride safe guys,been 2 guys taken out on bikes in the south in 2 days.

I have both a Rivett and an Alpine Stars mesh jacket.The Alpine S is great, not too hot but has no rain liner.

It is probably a knock off copy from here? http://www.gt-rider....ilek-t3673.html

Amazing the range of bike gear that is available there now and a lot is genuine as seems everything is made in China now.

ok, I had it coming almost 8 years on bikes in LOS, more than 100k km, more than 350 days a year, no protection

post-81971-094094000 1283843292_thumb.jppost-81971-088897000 1283843395_thumb.jp

10 days after accident

my Scandinavian born body just cant handle any hot clothing in LOS, but any suggestions on how to protect my elbows an knees when riding again in a week or so?

12 days after accident today, and had a ride on a step-twist and go to the bank before the rain came:)

It is probably a knock off copy from here? http://www.gt-rider....ilek-t3673.html

ok, I had it coming almost 8 years on bikes in LOS, more than 100k km, more than 350 days a year, no protection

post-81971-094094000 1283843292_thumb.jppost-81971-088897000 1283843395_thumb.jp

10 days after accident

my Scandinavian born body just cant handle any hot clothing in LOS, but any suggestions on how to protect my elbows an knees when riding again in a week or so?

12 days after accident today, and had a ride on a step-twist and go to the bank before the rain came:)

The Burma Alphine knockoffs do work. I was told of a new riding buddy who came off at a fair pace on the tarmac and apart from some broken fingers, no road rash or major trauma. The Mesh jacket got a little bit torn up on one forearm but all good. He also wears knee & shin protectors under his jeans. I intend getting the mesh jacket next time I'm home. B)

10 days after accident

I bought knee and elbow protectors in southern bike store in patong. The knee protectors are not optimal for 650R without pants, and the elbow protectors might be to small, but you can try mine if you want.

10 days after accident

Ouch. That doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though.

So are we going to finally invest in some protective gear now KBB? ;) After my latest mishap, I'm looking to upgrade.

The answer to you question about how to protect your elbows and knees when you start riding in a week is to get Mrs KBB her car DL. lol

I wouldn't put anything on your knees and elbows until they fully heal, but after that, if you really don't want to wear a jacket or trousers due to heat, then get some elbow and knee protectors. Let me know and I will pick some up for you at cyclegear before I come back.

onl_10_pmpgun_kngrd_MD.jpgicon_field_armor_elbow_guards_MD.jpg

Not real fond of the look of any of the jackets you posted dollerman. I'll be rockin an Icon Contra textile/mesh jacket with an Icon Field Armor underneath when I get back. The Contra is made of some tough material yet light and beathable.

2009-Icon-Contra-Jacket-Black.jpgicon-vest.gif

10 days after accident

dam_n, good luck, maybe time you sit in the back and let you dog drive :o

10 days after accident

I bought knee and elbow protectors in southern bike store in patong. The knee protectors are not optimal for 650R without pants, and the elbow protectors might be to small, but you can try mine if you want.

I just noticed today that my knee protectors have stared to fall apart already after about 2 weeks, so cannot recommend them anymore;)

Not real fond of the look of any of the jackets you posted dollerman. I'll be rockin an Icon Contra textile/mesh jacket with an Icon Field Armor underneath when I get back. The Contra is made of some tough material yet light and beathable.

2009-Icon-Contra-Jacket-Black.jpg

Don't buy a dark colour jacket for Thailand!

This jacket might be a little hot to use also? I need a lot of air. I'm pretty happy with the appearance of the four jackets, but how to choose one of them is a big headache.

btw, im getting scorpion deuce over-pants also.

Edited by dollarman

I brought over a Joe Rocket Pheonix 1.0 and it was too hot because it was black.

So I bought a blue Komine from Paddock, too hot for little protection, so I cut out all the padding and inner liner.

It's cooler but worthless for impacts, I use it for scootering main roads.

So then I got a mostly white Shift textile jacket from Panda Rider and cut out any liner that didn't have a pad pocket.

Then I doubled all the padding with additional CE armor.

It's hot when still, but built like a tank since the extra padding makes the jacket tight as it should be.

With the higher speeds on the D-Tracker the heat is something I have to deal with at lights, but its not too bad if I'm moving.

Sadly its just so freaking hot here in BKK that I only wear jackets if I'm planning to run a multi lane road.

Single lane Soi runs on the scooter have me wearing just a full face helmet and sometimes gloves.

So I think getting the most open mesh jacket is the best way to go, then you can add padding as needed.

Unless you have an amazing endurance against heat, a hot jacket may not be worn all the time.

You might also want to look into the High Velocity Gear Juggernaut as it has the only CE level 2 back.

It probably has better protection than any summer jacket, but I bet it's a pain to get on compared to a jacket.

Proper knee braces are big money but Asterisk Cell and Pod MX seem to get good reviews.

10 days after accident

Ouch. That doesn't look as bad as I thought it would though.

So are we going to finally invest in some protective gear now KBB? ;) After my latest mishap, I'm looking to upgrade.

The answer to you question about how to protect your elbows and knees when you start riding in a week is to get Mrs KBB her car DL. lol

I wouldn't put anything on your knees and elbows until they fully heal, but after that, if you really don't want to wear a jacket or trousers due to heat, then get some elbow and knee protectors. Let me know and I will pick some up for you at cyclegear before I come back.

Thanks Scuba. Just what I need. Could you pick this stuff up for me, I v emailed to you my VISA CC info already.

I ll delay Ninja riding (still have one without damages) until your back and wounds hopefully looks better:D

31 years since last drop, hopefully 31 years to next:P

10 days after accident

dam_n, good luck, maybe time you sit in the back and let you dog drive :o

going through a curve in approx 120 kmh, meeting a Fortuner overtaking a tuk tuk overtaking some motorbikes, I chose the concrete ditch over head on with Fortuner. Fortunately using full face helmet, scratched 4 places.

besides my dog only drives auto bikes:D