Zonealarm Pro Effects Tv

bdenner

After reading many threads on the ‘Firewall’ subject in this forum I bought ZoneAlarm Pro and for the most part very happy with it with no apparent increase in the time required to perform most functions and applications ---- but I have found 2 problems:-

1. Whenever TV needs to go into ‘StandBy’ eg during a search it is very slow and the page times out, shutting down ZA gets me through a 2nd attempt.

2. I have no problems with secure sites like TFB eInternet Banking or my CBA NetBank accounts but I cannot log into Comsec (a CBA subsidiary account for internet share trading) with ZA operating.

Giving them ‘Trusted Site’ status does not help. Can someone offer a fix?

Thank you in advance.

hi'

if a site is blocked, it's your own settings, ZA doesn't do this by itself :o

check them, trusted zone and internet zone and what you chose to block ...

popup and so on ...

francois

ps;using ZA pro for long time, never had any problem with it :D

bdenner - As francois and others have stated, ZoneAlarm only blocks what you tell it to block. I suspect your problem may be with either your browser (security and/or privacy settings) or with an antivirus/spyware utility.

I assume your running Windows XP(SP1 or SP2) and are using IE6 as your default browser. If this is correct, proceed as follows, otherwise STOP and post back details of your system, OS, browser and antivirus/spyware software in use.

Check that the Windows XP built-in firewall is turned off (disabled). (DO NOT turn off or shut down Zone Alarm.) Next, turn off any antivirus or anti-spyware utilities you have running in the background.

Using Internet Explorer (IE6) as your browser, check the following:

1) Close all IE windows

2) Open one (1) IE window and click on TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS

3) Click the SECURITY tab

4) In Security window, highlight each item (starting with "Internet") and click the DEFAULT button. Then go to next item in window, repeat process until all items have been reset to their default status.

5) Next click the PRIVACY tab

6) Check to see, and if necessary, move slider so it reads MEDIUM

7) Click OK to close window.

8) Close IE browser completely.

Now reopen IE and see if you are now able surf to secure sites previously blocked. Do you see "https://" in the browser's address window and a "closed" padlock in window at bottom right of browser?

Post back all findings.

cheers :o

Edited by waldwolf

Thanks guys, was out most of yesterday and just logged into TV. Will try the recomendations and let you know. As stated I gave the 2 effected sites 'Trusted Site' status to no avail.

Waldwolf. -- OK, firstly let me confirm I have not been denied access to the 2 sites, either listed as 'Trusted' or not in the ZA IDLock module. It is just 1 function in each slows so far as to 'time out'. I've tested using with a 2nd IE6 window open concurrently at another site OK as it's speed is not effected whilst the other fails.

assume your running Windows XP(SP1 or SP2) and are using IE6 as your default browser. If this is correct, proceed as follows, otherwise STOP and post back details of your system, OS, browser and antivirus/spyware software in use.
Yes:-

HP Pavilion ZE4500 Notebook

Celeron 2.40Ghz 512 Mb RAM

XP Home 5.1 SP1 - Browser IE6

Norton AntiVirus

ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall (which recognises Norton as the enabled Virus software).

Check that the Windows XP built-in firewall is turned off (disabled).
Sorry, not sure where to do this.
Using Internet Explorer (IE6) as your browser, check the following:

1) Close all IE windows

2) Open one (1) IE window and click on TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS

3) Click the SECURITY tab

4) In Security window, highlight each item (starting with "Internet") and click the DEFAULT button. Then go to next item in window, repeat process until all items have been reset to their default status.

5) Next click the PRIVACY tab

6) Check to see, and if necessary, move slider so it reads MEDIUM

7) Click OK to close window.

8) Close IE browser completely.

Completed this task after recording the settings. NO changes as this is one area of the system I do not play with.
Now reopen IE and see if you are now able surf to secure sites previously blocked. Do you see "https://" in the browser's address window and a "closed" padlock in window at bottom right of browser?

Site#1 'ThaiVisa' opens OK with no padlock (none expected) all operations and pages available accept as stated --- Slows right down during the 'StandBy' period eg Reading PMs, Forum Searches etc. Shuting down ZA prior to toggling a search then re-enabling it after keeps things going.

Site#2 'Commonwealth Securities (www.comsec.com.au) opens OK with a padlock. I enter my user ID and PW, it proceeds to loading the next page until time out. Once again shuting down ZA during this part of the session gets me through.

Thank you Waldwolf, I hope this makes sense.

bdenner - Before you ran the last test, did you turn off (disable) the Norton AntiVirus and other anti-spyware utilities? If not, turn them all off then check that the Windows XP firewall is also turned off (see instructions below), then run your tests again.(DO NOT disable or turn-off ZoneAlarm.)

To disable the Windows XP built-in firewall:

1) Click START > CONTROL PANEL

2) Click NETWORK and INTERNET CONNECTIONS

3) Right click the desired connection, PROPERTIES > ADVANCED tab

4) Under the heading INTERNET CONNECION FIREWALL, uncheck the box labeled "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet".

More info here (Note: While your currently running SP1, be aware if/when SP2 is installed, the built-in firewall will be automatically activated.)

Please post back results.

cheers :o

hi'

you said that you use ZA pro, so the win firewall should be disabled in ZA by default, but anyway disable it yourself for sure as waldwolf said it to do.

and please ... for code sake, read the help files! :o

why programers write these help files if it is for no one to read them?

francois

hi'

you said that you use ZA pro, so the win firewall should be disabled in ZA by default, but anyway disable it yourself for sure as waldwolf said it to do.

and please ... for code sake, read the help files! :D

francois

Thank you Francois for your input. Yeh, I’m a slack bastard at times when it comes to ‘Help’ utilities. Stems from the many hours I’ve surfed around them to sort problems without success – Brain Dead :o I have several Connection Modules configured and none had the ‘Firewall’ unchecked so it does not appear to be an automatic function on my version of xP. Anyway I unchecked the Firewall in the module I use in this location (IR – GPRS).

Waldwolf.

OK. After that ALL protection has been shut down accept for ZA and nothing had changed. Even went back in and unchecked the Firewall in the Connection Modules I don’t use up here eg Landlines, Bluetooth and the like.

Still grinds to a halt in the pages on the 2 sites mentioned above. Cannot see any notable changes with the rest of the system.

I get the feeling it may be one of these idiosyncrasies I will have to live with.

One thing I have picked up is that there is a clash between Norton and ZA when it comes to email scanning so I shut ZA’s Incoming and Outgoing scan OFF as I believe Norton's ability to protect me in that area to be better. --- Right or Wrong?

Thanks again.

hi'

and please ... for code sake, read the help files! :D

francois

Thank you Francois for your input. Yeh, I’m a slack bastard at times when it comes to ‘Help’ utilities. Stems from the many hours I’ve surfed around them to sort problems without success – Brain Dead :o I have several Connection Modules configured and none had the ‘Firewall’ unchecked so it does not appear to be an automatic function on my version of xP. Anyway I unchecked the Firewall in the module I use in this location (IR – GPRS).

Waldwolf.

OK. After that ALL protection has been shut down accept for ZA and nothing had changed. Even went back in and unchecked the Firewall in the Connection Modules I don’t use up here eg Landlines, Bluetooth and the like.

Still grinds to a halt in the pages on the 2 sites mentioned above. Cannot see any notable changes with the rest of the system.

I get the feeling it may be one of these idiosyncrasies I will have to live with.

One thing I have picked up is that there is a clash between Norton and ZA when it comes to email scanning so I shut ZA’s Incoming and Outgoing scan OFF as I believe Norton's ability to protect me in that area to be better. --- Right or Wrong?

Thanks again.

hi'

I had norton and ZA for a while, and I never had conflict ...

can you call<ipconfig /all> in a command line?

I recently discover a nasty stuff called DNSupdate, a file that change a lot of things.

here is a resume of it :

<First off, I will explain what IPConfig, the program that would run every 2 seconds then close itself did.

1. Set windows to hide hidden folders

2. Looked for many types of AV and Firewall and killed them

3. Made the file that creates it protected (and respawns it if deleted).

4. Blocked AV websites

5. Checked for instances like msconfig and stuff, things you could use to disable it, and closes them.

Those are all the things I noticed anyway, might be more.>

if you can't call ipconfig or gpedit.msc, you have this thing in ...

tell, and I'll try to help, but for now nothing sure ...

some more files in windows\system32 also :D

francois